Re: The Hobbit

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Boo. I would've sworn it was the stuffy way. I guess I was really wanting to hear it. I even pulled it up with the captioning on and he does say "thank you very much". What a bummer.[/quote]

He does sound stuffy when he says it but just not like in the book, and he's shivering next to the fire whereas the dwarves aren't. It feels like a nod to me.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Here's a question for Kit: do you know if they filmed the banquet scene? There's certainly an aftermath of the banquet: Bofur wakes up on the banquet hall floor. I assumed the banquet proper would be in the EE, but it wasn't.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I haven't the slightest clue about archery, but in some parts of that vid he doesn't seem to draw the arrow back far enough. I'd imagine that in order to penetrate a man (or orc :P ) wearing leather armour you'd need a good draw. Its alright against paper/foam/wood targets but I can't imagine the arrow penetrating armour and skin. I could be completely wrong though :P
Last edited by Lindir on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]On a side note: you thought Legolas pulled some stunts? Now I've seen everything! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk :O [/quote]

That pretty much says it all!

[quote=""Lindir""]I haven't the slightest clue about archery, but in some parts of that vid he doesn't seem to draw the arrow back far enough. I'd imagine that in order to penetrate a man (or orc ) wearing leather armour you'd need a good draw. Its alright against paper/foam/wood targets but I can't imagine the arrow penetrating armour and skin. I could be completely wrong though [/quote]
I used to be into archery big time when I was a teenager. It all depends of the bow strength, but I had a little 20lb bow that I could shoot a small round steel tipped arrow through a car door (don't ask) without fully drawing the bow. It does not take much force to puncture thin steel.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
KRDS

It is probably my favorite show currently, other than GOT. I actually did the prop design work for Michonne's katana

And no, not in Georgia. Michigan and Ohio. I never got into hunting very much, just target shooting with bows. And knives...and axes...spears, pretty much anything with a steel point that could be hurled at something else :evil:
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]Very cool...You must've been disappointed then when the old UC pulled the plug on Gimli's Throwing Axes.[/quote]

Yep...him and not a few of us, too.....I would have loved to have had a set of those. :(

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Nasnandos""]....And knives...and axes...spears, pretty much anything with a steel point that could be hurled at something else :evil: [/quote]

Kit, how good are you at the Ren Faires where they have the knife and Axe throwing booths?
I see very few people that can make them stick.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Very cool, and yes, I love that show too. You must've been disappointed then when the old UC pulled the plug on Gimli's Throwing Axes.[/quote]

They were never really in the line up, but it would have been nice to do the whole set of Gimli axes eventually. The last one in the works was the walking axe, which got the plug pulled just before it was about to start production. Luckily the new owners did a run of them a few years later.

I still have the walking axe props, so maybe one day :)
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]And no, not in Georgia. Michigan and Ohio. I never got into hunting very much, just target shooting with bows. And knives...and axes...spears, pretty much anything with a steel point that could be hurled at something else :evil: [/quote]
"pretty much anything with a steel point that could be hurled at something else" :evil:
I got a good chuckle out of this Kit. :D
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Olorin""]Here's a question for Kit: do you know if they filmed the banquet scene? There's certainly an aftermath of the banquet: Bofur wakes up on the banquet hall floor. I assumed the banquet proper would be in the EE, but it wasn't.[/quote]
If you mean the dinner at Beorn's house when they all drank into the evening, I don't think so. They way they restructured the story for the movie did not allow it. I wish they had. That was one of may favorite scenes.

[quote=""Deimos""]Kit, how good are you at the Ren Faires where they have the knife and Axe throwing booths?
I see very few people that can make them stick.[/quote]
I never go to Ren fairs. I am not really even an e xp ert knife thrower, although I can throw an axe fairly well when I practice a bit. Here's a youtube for one of my axes from a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noe3rDUJ0ek
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]If you mean the dinner at Beorn's house when they all drank into the evening, I don't think so. They way they restructured the story for the movie did not allow it. I wish they had. That was one of may favorite scenes.[/quote]

No, I meant in Laketown after they've been welcomed.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]It is probably my favorite show currently, other than GOT. I actually did the prop design work for Michonne's katana

And no, not in Georgia. Michigan and Ohio. I never got into hunting very much, just target shooting with bows. And knives...and axes...spears, pretty much anything with a steel point that could be hurled at something else :evil: [/quote]

Hold up, hold up...Michigan and Ohio? Are you from up here too?! :O

[quote=""Deimos""]Yep...him and not a few of us, too.....I would have loved to have had a set of those. :( [/quote]

Yeah, you and me both. One of my most desired replicas from LotR!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Olorin""]No, I meant in Laketown after they've been welcomed.[/quote]
Hmm, I don't remember any specific banquet scene in the book, other than the mention that Bilbo spoke at some banquets where all he could say was "Thag you very buch" because of his cold. I don't think any of that was shot.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Hold up, hold up...Michigan and Ohio? Are you from up here too?! [/quote]
I started up in Toronto, then made my was down here via Michigan and Ohio. I used to live in Clarkston, northwest of Detroit, in Oakland County.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Valkrist""]By Durin's beard! Kit, are you Canadian?!?[/quote]

Easy, Val! ...You're hyper-ventilating! :D

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I never go to Ren fairs. I am not really even an e xp ert knife thrower, although I can throw an axe fairly well when I practice a bit. Here's a youtube for one of my axes from a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noe3rDUJ0ek[/quote]
Now I really get the "Point" sharp steel passion your have.
That video really shows how distance determines where the axe makes its mark, consistent on every throw. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Olorin""]You didn't hear him say "Eh" in that video, did you?[/quote]
:D :crazy:
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I only lived there for a few years, but it was a very memorable time in this kids brain. We had a house on a lake where I used to hunt turtles in a leaky row boat, lots of cool dirt bike trails, and it's where I first started to get serious about drawing and painting...not to mention it is where I first saw the original Star Wars. I must have gone to see it at the Clarkston Cinema matinee a dozen times or so.

[quote=""Valkrist""]By Durin's beard! Kit, are you Canadian?!?[/quote]
Yup. I thought I mentioned that back when some of the Canada/UPS discussion was going on a year or so ago, but maybe I forgot to mention it.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I never go to Ren fairs. I am not really even an e xp ert knife thrower, although I can throw an axe fairly well when I practice a bit. Here's a youtube for one of my axes from a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noe3rDUJ0ek[/quote]

Awesome consistency, Kit! That video inspires me to dust off my old throwing spikes and UC knives...time to get back into it :thumbs_up
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: The Seeing Stone

[quote=""Nasnandos""]The prop made for the Hobbit was almost exactly 6".[/quote]

Maybe this question should be in the movie thread, but I don't recall seeing a Palantir in the Hobbit. Which scene was it in, or are you referring to an earlier pre-release spoiler that wasn't seen? Here is the quote from TORN:

"11. Gandalf will look through a Palantir and he will see what would happen if Smaug won?t be killed. Sauron reveals his plot to join forces with Smaug. [Update: not in the theatrical edition]"
This Space for Rent

Re: The Seeing Stone

[quote=""Nasnandos""]Umm...wait until November :) [/quote]

I knew it! :crazy:

Although... it will cause an interesting mystery. Is Gandalf going all the way to Orthanc? Where did he have the time? And if Saruman brings it to Rivendell instead, then Gandalf's reaction to knowing Saruman has been using it in FOTR won't make sense. :huh:

My guess: while Gandalf is imprisoned in Dol Guldur, Sauron taunts him with the Palantir captured from Minas Ithil, the one which will eventually reside at Barad-dur and with which he ensnares Saruman and tortures Denethor's mind. ;)
This Space for Rent

Out of respect for John's thread, I moved our discussion here.

So... that's what you guys were talking about! :thumbs_up

Ok, yes... that makes perfect sense. It must happen before the Nazgul attack then. If it's after, it wouldn't make much sense because Gandalf would be too weak and I'm not sure Galadriel and Elrond would allow him to look into it. Not only that, they'd probably take it with them for safekeeping and that would alter history.

It stands to reason that an artifact as powerful as the Ithil stone would be at Dol Guldur while Sauron consolidated his power there. Either he or the Nazgul would obviously take it with them when they fled, otherwise he would not have been able to use it to contact Saruman and Denethor.
This Space for Rent

There are two scenes with it, one of which was never shot to my knowledge. Of course, there is always a chance none of this make it back into the EE cut. I don't know why PJ would leave it out though.

It's not book cannon, but I suspect this will be the origin of Saruman obtaining the Palantir he later has in Orthanc in the movie version of the story.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]It's not book cannon, but I suspect this will be the origin of Saruman obtaining the Palantir he later has in Orthanc in the movie version of the story.[/quote]

I know you are carefully distinguishing book lore from movie lore, but I hope you are wrong in your guess even if it makes internal movie sense. We know there was always a palantir at Orthanc, but your theory does somewhat e xp lain Gandalf's surprise at seeing one there in FOTR. Gandalf would have known this all along. The only shock should come from the fact that Saruman would dare to use it at all, hence Gandalf's comment that they are dangerous as they were not all accounted for. The implied suspicion being that Sauron likely had one from capturing Minas Mithil hundreds of years ago.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Now I want that freaking sphere even more... I can't believe I missed it during the movie or that I missed it in my Lego set.[/quote]

Rev, read what Kit is saying.... You didn't miss it in the movie at all. It was removed from the TE.
This Space for Rent

Your average LOTR movie fan does not know any of the lore about the palantiri, and I would say your average book reader remembers little of that as well.

That is one of many simplified links bridging the movie story elements from The Hobbit to LOTR that does not bother me at all. So many of the background things like this have been changed that it does not bother me any more. I look at the films as an alternate universe/alternate timeline versions of the book story anyway.
KRDS

[quote=""jnicktem""]In the picture Kit posted, it is just above Galadriel's head.[/quote]

Finally "found" it in the scene....it's light bulb is burnt out, tho'.....

[quote=""Idril""]I had never noticed. So is this orb supposed to originally be the Amon Sul one?[/quote]

No.

If one tries to reason away the presence of a Palantir in Dol Guldur at this point in history, the only possibility is that it is the one from Minas Ithil, captured when that city fell earlier in the Third Age. If you follow Kit's theory, then this is the filmic origin of the Orthanc stone.

The remaining Palantiri are accounted for thusly:

Amon Sul: sunk to the bottom of the Bay of Forochel when King Arvedui's ship sank
Annuminas: same as above
Elostirion: still there and only looks West
Orthanc: still there and controlled by Saruman
Minas Tirith: still there and controlled by Denethor
Osgiliath: lost in the Anduin when the city was ruined
Tol Eressea:: Master stone
This Space for Rent

Going off on a bit of Palantiri tangent....the Stone that was situated in the Tower Hills was taken to the Ship carrying Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and Galadriel.

Too bad PJ didn't include an easter egg in the EE (for the book fans) somehow conveying the presence of the Stone on the ship.

As much as the EE versions of the films contained a lot of cool nods to fans of the books, there were still a hundred and one missed opportunities all over the place. I guess we should count ourselves lucky we got what we did. I know Kit will roll his eyes at this one, but if I could add just one thing back in, it would be Gimli and Legolas visiting Aglarond and Ithilien together. ;)
This Space for Rent

Me too, I wish all the filmed material was just available in the extras! It would be great, I hope it's not too much to ask for in the inevitable future re-releases. :P

It took me a while to notice the Palantir in that scene! Super cool that they made a tie in there, and while it makes me cringe a tiny bit at the tought of that becoming the Orthanc Stone, it does make sense that Sauron would keep the Ithil Stone there! I really hope that makes the EE. The Dol Goldur scenes seem to get better and better with every spoiler of deleted scene! :crazy:

On the subject of deleted scenes, I just read in my Hobbit: Chronicles book that there's a scene where Elrond casts the Morgul dagger inot the Witch Kings tomb. Did this make it into the EE? I haven't seen any of the EE releases yet, and I had never heard of this one.

Valkrist wrote:As much as the EE versions of the films contained a lot of cool nods to fans of the books, there were still a hundred and one missed opportunities all over the place. I guess we should count ourselves lucky we got what we did. I know Kit will roll his eyes at this one, but if I could add just one thing back in, it would be Gimli and Legolas visiting Aglarond and Ithilien together. ;)
Nasnandos wrote:I would love to see those additional scenes, just as extras, not edited into the movie. Or maybe a mini movie montage of deleted scenes, like Ridley did with Blade Runner, or Lynch did with the Twin Peaks movie.
What I would like to see is an edit of the EEs where the superfluous/bad stuff from the ROTK EE is removed, which would allow room for some other things to get put back in. I'd be very happy to see most of the excess Paths of the Dead stuff go, along with Gimli's farting scene and the bastardized Gandalf/WitchKing encounter. Of course, I know we're into Phantom Edit territory here, especially since PJ has implied/said he considers the content "locked" relative to what's in the current EEs. That being the case, a Blade Runner style montage would be fun.
Fingolfin wrote:On the subject of deleted scenes, I just read in my Hobbit: Chronicles book that there's a scene where Elrond casts the Morgul dagger into the Witch King's tomb. Did this make it into the EE? I haven't seen any of the EE releases yet, and I had never heard of this one.
I have not heard of this one. I wonder if it refers to the scene in the DOS EE where it shows the Nazgul being entombed? A man casts a dagger onto one of the shrouded bodies in that scene.

In any case, we have not yet seen a scene where the dagger passes out of the possession of the Wise back into the possession of Sauron or one of the Nazgul, so that seems it could be a likely EE addition.

Fingolfin wrote:On the subject of deleted scenes, I just read in my Hobbit: Chronicles book that there's a scene where Elrond casts the Morgul dagger inot the Witch Kings tomb. Did this make it into the EE? I haven't seen any of the EE releases yet, and I had never heard of this one.
Which book were you reading? If its the scene mentioned in the Cloaks and Daggers book then that scene was in the DOS EE. Very brief, but its not Elrond who throws it into his tomb.

Return to “Tolkien”