Toast Tolkien on his birthday, January 3

The Tolkien Society is sponsoring its annual toast to Tolkien. All you need do is raise your glass (beverage of your choice, doesn't have to be alcohol) at 9 pm local time on January 3 and say "The Professor." The Society even has a place where you can register that you are joining the toast and any comments you'd like to make: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2006/index.html

I probably won't register, but I tell you, I will certainly be saying a toast to the man whose work has enthralled me for decades.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Toast Tolkien on his birthday, January 3

It's that time again. The Tolkien Society sponsors a toast to Tolkien on his birthday every year. The day will be Thursday, January 3, 2008. The website neglected to mention the appropriate time, but I assume it will be 9 pm local time, as it as last year. You can also register that you intend to toast, and post a comment. Here's the blurb:
2008 birthday toast

On the 3rd January 1892 JRR Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. To celebrate this event, on this day each year Tolkien fans around the world are invited to raise a glass and toast the birthday of this much loved author.

The toast is "The Professor".

For those unfamiliar with British toast-drinking ceremonies:
To make the Birthday Toast, you stand, raise a glass of your choice of drink (not necessarily alcoholic), and say the words 'The Professor' before taking a sip (or swig, if that's more appropriate for your drink). Sit and enjoy the rest of your drink.

Once again, it's that time. Here's the blurb from the Tolkien Society:
On the 3rd January 1892 JRR Tolkien was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. To celebrate this event, on this day each year Tolkien fans around the world are invited to raise a glass and toast the birthday of this much loved author.

The toast is "The Professor".

For those unfamiliar with British toast-drinking ceremonies:
To make the Birthday Toast, you stand, raise a glass of your choice of drink (not necessarily alcoholic), and say the words 'The Professor' before taking a sip (or swig, if that's more appropriate for your drink). Sit and enjoy the rest of your drink.
The toast is to be done at 9 pm local time.

[quote=""Olorin""]It's that time again! At 9:00 pm in your local time on January 3, raise a glass of your beverage of choice (doesn't have to contain alcohol) and toast the man who has given us so much joy. The toast is, "The Professor!"[/quote]
I'll have to treat myself to some Guiness for that toast; anything else would seem inappropriate. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]I'll have to treat myself to some Guiness for that toast; anything else would seem inappropriate. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Some of my past toasting beverages have included soy milk and caffeine-free Diet Coke (not mixed, of course). Not sure what I'll do this year; first I have to remember to do it (I forgot last year :embarasse ). I still have some hard cider in the fridge; I think that might fit the bill.

I did not get to do the toast. I spent the evening in the emergency room. :(

I've been hobbling on what I thought was a pulled muscle in my right calf for about a week. It wasn't getting any better so today I went to the doctor. She looked at both legs and said, and I quote, "Dude. Your right calf is twice as big as your left one. You have a blood clot. Go to the ER. NOW!"

So that's where I spent my evening. At the end of the evening, I still don't know exactly what's wrong, but the ER staff ruled out anything life-threatening (like a blood clot). I have to go see an orthopedist as there's probably a torn muscle or tendon. In the mean time, I get to hobble on crutches, with a (removable) cast. It took me 15 minutes to get to my car! And it should have taken about one minute. Crutches are a drag.

And the kicker is, I have no idea how I did this. So, I can only quote a recent John Mellencamp song,

This gettin' older, it ain't for cowards
This gettin' older, it's a lot to go through

[quote=""Rough666""]This Keystone is for Tolkien! It's cheap, and good...just like his paperbacks.

Thank you, good sir, and Happy Birthday![/quote]

Damn, that good huh? :P

Olorin, I recommend one of those "boot" things...you can be in a cast and still walk around, for the most part. I guess it depends on what you've got. In any case, take it easy, rest up, and get better. :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Olorin""]I did not get to do the toast. I spent the evening in the emergency room. :(
Crutches are a drag.[/quote]

Well I didn't forget, I just didn't post my toast.

Olorin if you don't have stairs to deal with, get yourself a Roll About (888)-736-6151.
Far better, safer, and more convenient than crutches. Made it possible for me to work full time without exhausting myself on crutches. :thumbs_up When a crutch pad lands on a wet spot on a smooth floor, you're goin' down (usually in some bizarre way where you hurt something else). :|
I'll sell you mine if you can't find one locally, or they turn out to be too e xp ensive.
Last edited by Thranduil on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I'm seeing the orthopedist on Thursday and I'm really hoping he'll give me a walking boot. Crutches are a major drag if you have to go farther than 10 feet.

And yes, I do have stairs, to the basement. I keep the cats' litter boxes down there. Just a little bit ago a friend came over to clean them for me, bless her!

Here's the annual reminder:

The Tolkien Society is sponsoring its annual toast to Tolkien. All you need do is raise your glass (beverage of your choice, doesn't have to be alcohol) at 9 pm local time on January 3 and say "The Professor." The Society even has a place where you can register that you are joining the toast and any comments you'd like to make: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2006/index.html

[quote=""Olorin""]Here's the annual reminder:

The Tolkien Society is sponsoring its annual toast to Tolkien. All you need do is raise your glass (beverage of your choice, doesn't have to be alcohol) at 9 pm local time on January 3 and say "The Professor." The Society even has a place where you can register that you are joining the toast and any comments you'd like to make: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2006/index.html[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, Olorin. Will definitely raise a glass of beer to The Professor.

btw, apparently there is also a wide celebration of Bilbo's birthday on Sept 22.
I never knew until I read about a Tolkien club in Sierra Vista [AZ] having an annual celebration "of special magnificence".

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

It is that time again...the annual birthday toast to our beloved storyteller, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. The event is sponsored by the Tolkien Society. All you have to do is on Thursday, January 3rd at 9 pm local time, stand up, say "The Professor," and take a drink (it doesn't have to be alcohol). http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2013/

If he were still alive, the Professor would be 120 years old this birthday.

I'll be drinking to the Professor who amazingly touched my life like no other author. :thumbs_up

Of course I need to add that the Author of life made this possible.
Thank you Lord for creating Prof. Tolkien. :)

Return to “Tolkien”