LOTR coming on BluRay

Not that it will be of much interest to most of the people here, but the Digital Bits reports that the advertising insert inside the new Blu Ray release of "Poltergeist" indicates that FOTR is coming on Blu Ray in 2009. The Bits'
"industry sources" tell them that all 3 movies will arrive on BD next year. No word on what editions or supplements.

[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]

[/font]
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: LOTR coming on BluRay

I suspect they will do a box. Hopefully they will announce it ahead of time.

Right now I'm still wondering if the upcoming Prince Caspian BD is going to be the theatrical cut or an extended cut. With LWW, they announced the longer cut before the shorter one was available, giving people the choice whether to be double-dipped or not. So far no word on PC.

There are hours and hours of stuff, but probably most of it we wouldn't want to see outside of a documentary. There are abandoned story lines, like Arwen coming to Helm's Deep, and Gandalf eating toffee trying to give up smoking. While I think it would be interesting and fun to see this stuff, it would only be in the context of a doco or outtakes reel. I suspect there's very little unused footage that would be appropriate to insert into the movie.

In fact, if I were calling the shots, I would actually cut a little bit from the EEs, or at least from the ROTK EE. There's stuff in the ROTK EE that I object to on the basis that it is dreadful or denigrates LOTR, as I've mentioned in past posts. Even beyond that, there are things that PJ added that should have been left out because they are spoilers for things later in the movie. For example, I believe almost all the additional Army of the Dead stuff should have been left out. In the EE, there's no suspense when Aragorn finally arrives at Minas Tirith because you already know the Dead have agreed to help, since we saw them wiping out the Corsairs. And the skull avalanche inside the mountain is just a bit too improbable. There's no way they could have waded through a mass of rolling skulls w/o being swept off their feet—and off the precipice. So really, the only extension I would have made to the TE regarding the Dead would have been to add just the scene where Aragorn and Co emerge from the mountain, and Aragorn sinks to his knees in grief when he sees the Corsairs ravaging the coast. That was a great Viggo moment. I would have ended the scene before the King of the Dead emerges from the mountain.

Anyway, in the mean time, here's this tidbit from Blu-Ray.com:
Warner Confirms Classics and LOTR Coming to BD

George Feltenstein, Senior Vice President of Warner Home Video has revealed that 'Gone with the Wind' and 'The Wizard of Oz' will both see release in 2009. He also revealed that these two titles will make use of BD-Live technology to provide even more content for these two classics. Additionally, Felenstein mentioned that 'An American in Paris' and 'A Star is Born' are currently being cleaned-up for a high definition release.

And if that weren't even enough, he also hinted that we may see the entire Lord of the Rings series sooner than later. Press material has already indicated that 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' will be coming in 2009; now it appears that the other two films in the series may also see release next year as well. Stay tuned.

Addendum: speculation on the Blu-Ray.com forum is that these releases will be only the theatrical cuts, and Warner will save the BD debut of the EEs to coincide with The Hobbit hitting the theaters. I suspect that's probably what will happen, as it probably maximizes the money Warner can wring out of this.
Last edited by Olorin on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

I agree with you partially about the ROTK Extended version. That "Dead" stuff they definitely could have left out. I did NOT like the fact that the Witch-king broke Gandalf's staff. They should have had Gandalf just knocked off his horse and the staff go "flying" in another direction.

I love Aragorn revealing himself to Sauron in the palantir, as was in the book.

Saruman ringing his hands over the return of "Gandalf the White" was a good moment...and that little tidbit about Aragorn's "Ring of Barahir" was important.

I personally think the whole Eowyn/Aragorn love-interest hurt the movies. And then all of a sudden she's in love with Faramir at the end of ROTK?

100% with Olorin on this, though I once would have loved to see more footage put in. To be honest, the only scenes I still lament at being excised from the released versions were those including Gil-Galad during the prologue battle scene. Unfortunately his demise at Sauron's hands never made it past the storyboard stage, but there was quite a bit of footage with Mark Ferguson that was cut.

I didn't mind Eowyn's unrequited love for Aragorn being present because it was an important part of the books, but I do agree that the transition to her newfound affection for Faramir was much too jarring and sudden. They simply didn't have time to develop that properly.

As for the BD releases, I'm still holding out on buying a Blue-Ray player. Probably not until Microsoft releases the BD add-on for the 360. Even then, even though I can plug in HDMI devices to my tv, it will only display 1080i, not 1080p, so I'm actually happy they're thinking about not releasing the EEs until the Hobbit, because I wouldn't plan on buying a new tv until then. I don't see a point in buying the theatrical releases (have them on DVD already,) but the EEs will likely be my first BD purchase.

[quote=""Valkrist""]
I didn't mind Eowyn's unrequited love for Aragorn being present because it was an important part of the books, but I do agree that the transition to her newfound affection for Faramir was much too jarring and sudden. They simply didn't have time to develop that properly.
[/quote]

Well said. That's what I meant to say...that transition from her being into Aragorn and then Faramir just didnt work

Personally, I thought even in the book that Eowyn was able to switch her infatuation from Aragorn to Faramir like flipping a switch. It makes her seem like a bit of a floozy, or at least, someone desperately in search of her MRS degree, and any guy will do.

[quote=""Valkrist""]

As for the BD releases, I'm still holding out on buying a Blue-Ray player. Probably not until Microsoft releases the BD add-on for the 360. Even then, even though I can plug in HDMI devices to my tv, it will only display 1080i, not 1080p, so I'm actually happy they're thinking about not releasing the EEs until the Hobbit, because I wouldn't plan on buying a new tv until then. I don't see a point in buying the theatrical releases (have them on DVD already,) but the EEs will likely be my first BD purchase.[/quote]

I went with the PS3 for my blu-ray player; and i am quite satisfied. I am usually a DVD-aholic, especially for box sets, and new releases special editions, in the past few weeks I've bought Indiana Jones, Iron Man (in the mask case) and the Hulk (in the case wear the hulk hands slide the "brick wall" box open). But I dont like to be double dipped... So as for LOTR on Blu-Ray... it will definately have to be the EEs before I buy them.

Ditto. I won't buy the TEs on BD. I never watch the TE DVDs that I have (except I still like the supplements, because they have the trailers and the documentaries that preceded the release of FOTR—oh, how they bring back memories :) )

[quote=""Olorin""]Ditto. I won't buy the TEs on BD. I never watch the TE DVDs that I have (except I still like the supplements, because they have the trailers and the documentaries that preceded the release of FOTR—oh, how they bring back memories :) )[/quote]

Just curious as to why you dont watch the extended versions? I won't even WATCH any of the LOTR films unless theyre the extendeds. :|

[quote=""Curunir""]Just curious as to why you dont watch the extended versions? I won't even WATCH any of the LOTR films unless theyre the extendeds. :| [/quote]

You must have misunderstood me...I only watch the extended editions. I don't watch the theatrical editions (the TEs).

Here's something from the Digital Bits, specifically from their rumor mill section:
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Finally, our industry sources have hinted to us that when Warner delivers The Lord of the Rings films on Blu-ray Disc, some time late next year, they will very likely be the original theatrical versions. But don't freak out and run off to start a petition or something. There's good reason for it: Word is that director Peter Jackson wants to save the Extended Editions for an elaborate and ultimate Blu-ray box set release closer to the debut of the new Hobbit films in theatres. This way, as was the case with the previous DVD releases, you'll eventually get both versions and the best will be saved for last.[/font]

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ya, except you know that an EE version of the Hobbit is inevitable, as will the eventual pairing of that version with the LOTR EEs into the Uber-Mondo-Super-Duper Box set to end all others. :P [/quote]

And in the darkness (of the home theater) bind them.

My DVD collection is JUST gettin' good, now I have to go BR?!

I just watched Iron Man tonight, and thought it was pretty killer! Best movie I've seen in a while, and can't believe I didn't watch it sooner! Oh well. Gotta' get my own copy now.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

I'll probably end up getting the super-duper-uber-leet LOTR/Hobbit 20 hour extended edition box set eventually... maybe, what in the year 2015.. the EE box set of LOTR will be ok... i dont mind being double dipped 5 years or more apart. I got double dipped one time recently.. but it was my fault... I didnt realize I liked the Bourne movies until a few days before Bourne Ultimatum came out on DVD... so I bought the first 2 on dvd about 5 days before Ultimatum came out, then when it did, they had the special 3 movie edition box set that came in the silver security deposit box thing... so I HAD to have it. I am a sucker for box sets!

Ok back on topic

[quote=""Rough666""]My DVD collection is JUST gettin' good, now I have to go BR?![/quote]

You don't have to; if your player does a good job upconverting DVDs, they look pretty darned good (though not as good as BluRay, of course). If you don't do a side by side comparison, you'll probably be pretty happy. I'm not planning on replacing my DVD collection en masse. At 400+ titles, that would be beyond my means. It will just be very noteworthy titles, like LOTR, that I replace. And of course, any new releases I will get only on BluRay.

As of right now.. I only get the really really really good titles for blu ray.. since I am the financial backer of this households dvd collection, and my parents havent gotten a BD player yet.. so I dont like to buy the same movie twice. Right now... I got sci-fi/fantasy or movies with a lot of special f/x/action... Batman Begins, Narnia, etc..... i really dont need Michael Clayton, etc in BD right now.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]As of right now.. I only get the really really really good titles for blu ray.. since I am the financial backer of this households dvd collection, and my parents havent gotten a BD player yet.. so I dont like to buy the same movie twice. Right now... I got sci-fi/fantasy or movies with a lot of special f/x/action... Batman Begins, Narnia, etc..... i really dont need Michael Clayton, etc in BD right now.[/quote]

You are right. Some movies don't look much better on BluRay, and I work with this stuff on a daily. Take Frank Miller's "300" for example. I think the BluRay transfer makes it look really bizarre...I mean, the movie was shot in a strange way anyhow. Some movies just look better upconverted to 720p :thumbs_up

OK, now for a big "what if" .... BUT, what if , while filming the Hobbit, PJ does a little filming of his own and adds a few more minutes of stuff he wished he had put in LOTR? Once he has his footage, he recuts it into the BR versions. I mean, he'll have most of the actors already when DT films the bridge movie... Ah, Ah... Just throwing something out there.

[quote=""swordsicle""]OK, now for a big "what if" .... BUT, what if , while filming the Hobbit, PJ does a little filming of his own and adds a few more minutes of stuff he wished he had put in LOTR? Once he has his footage, he recuts it into the BR versions. I mean, he'll have most of the actors already when DT films the bridge movie... Ah, Ah... Just throwing something out there.[/quote]

Well, you never know what kind of partnership is going to develop between the 2 of them. Being here in New Zealand is a unique e xp erience, and it's something I wish everyone could see (Especially most Americans). The lifestyle is so different. And within the movie business here, the "stab you in the back as soon as look at you" that exists in Los Angeles, has yet to permeate this side of the globe. It's very refreshing.

A tidbit from the Digital Bits' Rumor Mill section:
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Here's some news that you Lord of the Rings fans have been waiting for. Word from a couple of readers is that select FYE stores had signs up last week revealing that Warner Home Video will be releasing New Line's Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray Disc in December. Some stores may even have begun taking preorders. This includes all three films. The titles are not yet listed on the company's website, but our industry sources have informed us that the studio's current plans do indeed call for all three films, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, to be released on Blu-ray in early December on Blu-ray in their original theatrical versions. There will likely be little in the way of extras, as both the extended versions and the special edition material are being held by director Peter Jackson for use in a future "ultimate edition" BD box set, planned for release when the two Hobbit films arrive in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray starting in 2012. As you know, Warner alluded to the Rings films arriving on Blu-ray in 2009 late last year, in promotional inserts included with some of their recent BD titles. Let's hope they aren't overly DNR-ed. (That's a little message for you guys doing the digital mastering for Warner/New Line HD titles, in case you did realize it. On behalf of Blu-ray fans everywhere, PLEASE get the message and dial back the Digital Noise Reduction knob!) Thanks to Bits reader Dan R. and others for the heads-up.[/font]

Lets just say that if they don't come out with extended there will be a riot.

Off topic, talking about the love scenes, between Eowyn and Aragorn, I really think they should have shown at least 2 minutes more of Eowyn and Faramir falling in love because I just finished the book and they definitely spent a lot of time together in Minas Tirith.

...[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]both the extended versions and the special edition material are being held by director Peter Jackson for use in a future "ultimate edition" BD box set, planned for release when the two Hobbit films arrive in theatres and on DVD and Blu-ray starting in 2012.

[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Oh yes.[/font][font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]

:thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
:cheers:
[/font]

From thedigitalbits.com:
[font=arial, helvetica, courier, *]For those of you who might be interested, Amazon.com now has New Line's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy available for pre-order on Blu-ray (theatrical editions only - SRP $99.98 but Amazon's price is about $70). Street date is still TBA, but we're e xp ecting a December release. [Editor's Note: Sources close to director Peter Jackson have informed me that he's holding back the extended editions for an elaborate "ultimate" box set release closer to the debut of the new Hobbit films - that's why these are set to be theatrical only. Obviously, not everyone is going to want them as such, but they're designed to satisfy fans who want something in the meantime. So simply be aware that if you want to wait for the more elaborate release, you'll get one eventually. Just FYI.] Here's the cover art they have up...

[/font]

[quote=""Olorin""]From thedigitalbits.com:[/quote] AKA previous post by Olorin.
My HOPE, is that we will ultimately get PJ's version which will be far more than the EE's. Check what Dallas said about the screening he saw of ROTK in the thread "Ask WETA". He said it was four hours twenty minutes!(if I'm not mistaken) That would make the entire trilogy around 12 hours long.

I personally think too much was added to the existing ROTK EE, let alone the prospect of 10 more minutes added. For example, the additional scenes involving the Army of the Dead and their attack on the Corsairs either don't add much to the story or actually detract from it in that they spoil the suspense of whether the Dead assisted Aragorn or not.

A lot of what was left out of LOTR was better off left out. PJ filmed a scene with Gandalf eating hard candy instead of smoking because he was trying to quit. Now, I'm a big anti-smoking person, but putting anachronistic "messages" like that into the movie pulls you out of the movie's reality and ruins suspension of disbelief. And of course, there was the whole "Arwen fights at Helm's Deep" storyline that was abandoned. I'd LOVE to see these things, but not reinstated into the movie. What would be cool is if PJ strung them together into almost an alternate LOTR, much the way the deleted scenes were done for the Blade Runner Ultimate Edition.

I personally like the EEs and have never been bored watching them. I have always known that there was more and wished for more. Now, Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep, nah, I am not interested in that. I could be wrong but I do not believe that was in the book. Now I know most of the Arwen/Aragorn love thing wasn't in the book but it is obvious that Tolkien had a very "Green" (analytically creative) mind. My point is that if someone says that they love someone that stays true instead otherwise so he didn't feel the need for the continuing love story. BUT with the modern day audience, I think it was necessary for the audience to see the connection. Also, I know Arwen didn't save Frodo after being stabbed by the WK in FOTR but that is a good addition because it introduces Arwen earlier and gets rid of a character that doesn't play a large role else where.

For those of you who have taken the time to watch both theatrical an EE editions; you may have noticed that the EE's didn't just add more film, they changed the way the story was approached.
When I mentioned a PJ version of the film I was intending to point out that he has the ability (due to amount of film shot) to make an entirely new version of what we have all seen.
Granted that the EE's are far better than theatrical; I'm not talking about that.
I talking about the fact that PJ has enough film footage to make a 25 hour version of LOTR anyway he desires to present it. Thus, a 12 (plus) hour version, put together in such a way that none of us have ever seen, is perfectly feasible.
The Arwen fighting scene was never on my mind (not to mention in the book).
The Arwen Aragorn love affair was clearly defined in the appendices of the book. The chronological order of the film was determined by the appendices more than the published story line, Shelob was in the Two Towers not in the Return of the King.
I intended to ring the bell about how PJ has the ability to give us what we have never seen, and present it in such a way as to extend the EE versions further.
As we enter our opinions about how much we want the Hobbit, and what we would like to see, (not to mention how it might be presented), I find it hard to believe that any one of you can say (on the other hand) I'm happy or content with what I've seen and not interested in seeing anything more.

"Eloquent" :kissing2:

I agree with both parties. Structurally and pacing-wise, ROTK is a mess for example. So from that technical standpoint, too much was there (I won't say too much was added, as what was added in some cases was more important than what was already there). But from an epic, awesome, super fun e xp loration of Middle Earth, there wasn't enough. And I don't think there ever could be. I just want to live there. So if there's another half hour... hour... whatever tacked on, that's more time spent there.
-_-

Thranduil, I don't think it's so much that we don't want more, it's just that some of us know that there is a reason for a cutting room, and why it is necessary that some footage remain on the floor.

Much of what gets cut out is simply stuff that isn't useable. Slightly different takes on the same scene, minor dialogue alterations, bloopers, and minor scene extensions that don't add anything, are but a few of the reasons why this stuff doesn't make it to the final cut. When you add all that up, you have a few hours worth of extra material, yes, but it isn't really stuff that you want the audience to see, and with good reason. So, when you hear that Jackson has 'x' hours worth of additional footage, don't automatically assume that it would all add anything to the movies we already have. Granted that there are some extra things that never saw the light of day, even in the EEs, but as Olorin pointed out, that's probably also a good thing. I, for one, don't want to see Gandalf chewing candy in order to quit smoking.

Having said that, I know there is some footage I would like to see put back in someday. This has been discussed before in another thread, but two things I would like to see restored (and know for a fact they were filmed) are the extended Last Alliance fight scenes, and the flight of the fellowship from Moria. The former includes more battle scenes, as well as additional footage and even some dialogue with Gil-galad (played by Mark Ferguson.) In the final cut, the elven king got severely short-changed, as did Elendil. As for the latter, as in the books, the orcs of Moria follow the group as it flees Moria into Lorien. The fellowship fights the orcs, who are in turn ambushed by elves. Including this part would be problematic however, as it would radically alter the current version and how Haldir comes upon the group. Note that this scene was already altered once from the theatrical to the extended version.

As for the stuff that made purists like myself become ill when they heard of it, I'd rather that stuff be destroyed than ever have it see the light of day. I'm talking about Arwen at Helm's Deep, and Aragorn fighting Sauron in single combat before the Black Gate. Some offenses to Tolkien are too blasphemous to be viewed and best left under the category of "What where they thinking?!?" :huh:

I agree about the whole last part about stuff that is completely not in the movie. But I wouldn't have any problem, seeing all the other stuff, even if it doesn't add anything to the movie on the bonus disks. I mean so many movies never have extended editions and put a few scenes on bonus disks. That would be cool. Even if they don't add anything it would allow those who want to watch, to actually watch. Then those who do not want to watch can choose not to. Easy and practical solution.

I'm curious weather this is another situation where the studio releases one version on Blu-ray to satisfy the desire for the Blu-ray junkies (I have become one myself) Only to release the extended versions at a later date to sell yet another version.

Personally, I'm happy with my "multiple" versions of each film on DVD, and don't plan on buying it on Blu-ray.... BUT ( a very big one, like my sister's) I might buy an extended version of the trilogy on Blu-ray if it was different than the original extended versions, kinda like a super special extended edition Blu-ray version.

If it differs only in the quality of the format, or just has some extras thrown onto the disk.... I think I'll stick with the DVDs I have. I know if I got the Blu-ray disks, I would probably just watch them once, and they would sit there for a few years before I would watch them again......

I never thought I would convert my DVD collection into a Blu ray. Then we got a PS3 for $250 and with maximum 1080. I am now converting all my DVD's (that are visually stimulating let me mention. I personally think comedies on Blu-ray is a waste) but LOTR for me a definite BR buy. I have to see that last battle scene in full resolution with the Bose system blasting every sound across the neighborhood.

Return to “Tolkien”