Design Similarities in TLotR Film

This thread is dedicated to the appreciation of the design similarities within cultures, as seen in the TLotR film-props.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]It would make sense that Isildur and Boromir would have similar swords, being both of Gondorian lineage... you would think that there would be a similar overall design.. that you would look at it and go "thats Gondorian!"[/quote]
Each culture can produce many different items, but you will often find that there is something, even if you can't quite put your finger on what exactly it is, that links the objects to a common culture.

Some examples:

In the film, you will find Isildur's sword is very similar to Narsil. A fairly blatant connection there. Father and son.

Now look at Strider's and Boromir's swords-
This one is a little tougher, but there's somthing about the circular pommels with grooves in them. And those bronze/brass rings on the hilt furniture... see it?

Or perhaps Strider's elven knife and Hadhafang-
Another obvious one. Wooden grip curving one way, blade curving the opposite way, shape of the pommel, lack of any guard...

Some of these are very plain, simple, obvious connections, like Orthanc and Saruman's staff. But there are harder, more subtle ones out there...
What else? What have you noticed? And what do they add to the story?

Re: Design Similarities in TLotR Film

Well, I know a lot of people don't see this, and I know some people will disagree, but Narsil, and Anduril both share some similarities. Look carefully.

On a serious note, both Strider's and Faramir's are very similar in shape and style, probably because both are Rangers. I can't think of any good ones right now, but Urambo makes a good point. It's interesting if you familiarize yourself with the props and weapons, you are able to identify them with their intended cultures, or makers. It just goes to show you how much care and detail went into the movies.

Lastly, nice to see you again Urambo. You've always been a very knowledgeable and respected member, and I'm sure I'm not the only glad to see you back. Happy to see Flame (of the west) back as well, unfortunately I think his interest in collecting has died down, as he has yet to post in any of these sections. I hope I am wrong though.
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

One big obvious one is the leaf blades for swords such as glamdring and sting and when the hobbit movie comes out, most likely orcist. All weapons carried by ringwraiths are very threatening and pointy looking. One thing is I noticed in every rohan sword is that the cross guards all are horse's or have horses on them. The morgul knife and morgul sword both have very similar pommels. Sauron's sword has a very similar blade of that of a ringwraith longsword has. The witch-king's original mace has the same mace head as the flail just smaller. Most of the elven swords have leaf designs in there sword some where mainly on the hilts. Glamdring Glows white as sting glows blue when orcs are near. I'm just throwing these out there I'm sure I can think of more.

Echoing Grima, I'm really glad to see UT and folks like Flame and Blade Collector back. I've missed them. :)

In dealing with the books, I'd say that a lot of the blades would have been similar. When you think about it, Rohan and Gondorian blades should have similar qualities even, as Rohan descended from Gondor.

I think as far as the movies go, they tried to make distinct differences so that people could keep track, though. The example I used before was that the -original- Witchking Helm was very similar to Sauron's. PJ and crew felt that this would confuse some of the non-die hard fans, and make them wonder why Sauron was suddenly fighting Eowyn.

I think, in the films, the main reason that Boromir's sword is so different is for the sake of being different. They're distancing him from Strider's sword or even Anduril (keep in mind, Aragorn receives Anduril in Fellowship, not ROTK in the books) so perhaps in the early stages, Anduril would've been on screen alongside Boromir's sword.

As far as his sword goes, the blade looks much more like the Rohan swords. Broad and short. The hilt, pommel, guard, etc all look Gondorian to me, however.

It'd be interesting to get the take from actual WETA folk on their thoughts in producing each sword. Do you think that there were actually discussions over which sword got what?

"We should put this on Faramir's sword."
"Now, wait, I want to put that on Anduril!"

:P

Return to “Tolkien”