Re: Building your own hobbit-hole

You know, I always used to think it would be cool to have an underground house like a Hobbit house. But a few years ago, I got to tour a couple of them, built by an underground home builder in central Illinois. One of them was a model home and the other was an actual home with people living in it. The model home was laid out like a mobile home, with a long hallway and rooms on either side, and I found that layout bothersome. The other house had a much more normal floorplan, apart from being largely underground, and a great view, being embedded in a bluff of the Sangamon River. It had a river view on one side and a prairie view on the other. However, both homes were burning candles like wild, trying (unsuccessfully) to cover up the "musty basement" smell. That told me pretty much everything I needed to know about whether I would ever consider having an underground home.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12 ... -a-hobbit/[/quote]
Well if any of you end up with the money and desire, forget your architects, etc. I'd love to do it for you.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""am.dk""]thies small hobbits hole,homes does not fit ,a lage and strong man. :|

great made by the way :thumbs_up

but in a size that most of all, needs more space.
and, if i ever hiere you ,thranduil.
then, we will be bouilding ,the golden hall of meduseld. :thumbs_up [/quote]
Great idea as well am.
I'd love an open fire pit in the middle of a great room :)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

you make it sounds like this it is an inposible task ,to create . thanduil :huh:

but it is not . :coolsmile
there is not, so many difrence betwean a viking hall and the golden hall of meduseld..
the best exable must be ,trelleborg. made in age of 980 by harald blåtand.
you can google the house. :thumbs_up

if vikings made halls like this 1000 yers ago,then there is no doubt to make meduseld. :coolsmile

wood carpenters art ,is needed.

[quote=""am.dk""]you make it sounds like this it is an inposible task ,to create . thanduil :huh:

but it is not . :coolsmile
there is not, so many difrence betwean a viking hall and the golden hall of meduseld..
the best exable must be ,trelleborg. made in age of 980 by harald blåtand.
you can google the house.

if vikings made halls like this 1000 yers ago,then there is no doubt to make meduseld. :coolsmile

wood carpenters art ,is needed.[/quote]
am.dk,
Me- sound like it is impossible task? I make my living bringing impossible to reality my friend.
I think you forgot some of the things I've done. Maybe you need to go back and look again at some of those posts. :)

[quote=""Olorin""]http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12 ... -a-hobbit/[/quote]

Okay, a few things about this house...

To start with, the detail work is amazing. The doors and windows, along with all the interior accents make it feel warm and cozy. Even the guy's chair looks hobbit'ish.

Also, let's not get over the fact that the whole bloody house was built to house his collection! :huh: My wife turns a blind eye to my Man Cave, but who has the money, the land and the resources to build a whole house just to hold his collection? Granted, I am a bit jealous.....a bit, and we'd all probably faint from what he has collected since the 60's.

I've only got a few Tolkien things in here with all my BSG stuff and classical books and paraphernalia, and I struggle to even contemplate where to put a new item (not that I stop, mind you).

My wife wouldn't let me change out the door to this room with an actual door from the Galactica, and I think she's even less likely to go the LotR route....

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Return to “Tolkien”