Escape to Middle Earth

As the Hobbit films unfold, a lot of you have commented on how these new films lack the "magic" of the Middle Earth e xp erience that LOTR possessed.

I agree. There's a big difference between Tolkien and LOTR films, but at least the films successfully took you away from our world and into Middle Earth.

As I think back on it all, memories of how this has been for me have been awakened. I recall being quite upset at first when I read the Professor's literature. He said practically nothing about me, and yet gleaned the majority of the work through me.

I remember when we first met, he was just a young lad. He would take walks along the edge of the forest, occasionally wondering into it, but never too far.
I gave him quite a start the first time I spoke (he never knew I had been watching him), and he ran away as fast as he could.

It made perfect sense to me; Hearing another person speak when you think you're completely alone, I probably would have run away as well.

He came back though. Obviously thinking it a happening of a single day, that whoever I was, I was not there a few days later. He was, of course, wrong, but this time I simply told him immediately, "Don't be afraid, I have no intention of harming you." He stood quite still this time, asked who I was and where I was. I told him to look up.

I wish you could have been there to see him smile, I remember the gleam in his eyes as he beheld me perched on the branch of a substantial oak not too far from him.
So I came down, and thus our discussions began.

A few years later a war broke out among your peoples, and John stopped visiting for many years, but when the war ended he returned. He was quite saddened by the loss of many of his closest friends; I had a great deal of compassion for him, and tried to comfort him by letting him know I was a friend he could always turn to for companionship.

It was at this point he asked if I would mind if he wrote about my people. He seemed genuinely intrigued about our history. I found myself more than happy to oblige his request since we have forever had to keep ourselves hidden.

The age of men has not been kind; especially in this past century.
It has been good to know (and comforting to me) that John's writings have created an awakening in your kind.

Even more so since this Peter Jackson made these films of John's work, albeit lacking details in truth John was so fond of.
I find it ironic, that because of John, I should be here in this forum to say these things.

And your interest in this collecting? Far be it from me to have predicted that I would get to know so many of you so directly.
And making these replicas? You people have such inquisitive minds.
I had a good teacher, unmatched by any other who has ever been here, sadly far too possessive. His covetousness of the Silmaril's became his undoing.

But that I share another time...
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Re: Escape to Middle Earth

I guess I should clarify that Feanor didn't actually apprentice anyone else but his own sons, of whom Curufin was his favored pupil due to his own talent.
Curufin in turn apprenticed many other elves along with his brothers, and thus the skill in craft continued to e xp and.

So among all elves, we acknowledge Feanor as the father of all craft. Although we also acknowledge that Feanor was the chosen one of Iluvatar to bring craft into the world.

So consider the irony of the great works of Iluvatar; With all good intention in his creativity, crafted the Valor to also be of good intention, and follow his example to give life, and bring good into it.
The very selfless intention went bad the moment selfishness entered into the intention itself.

Morgoth, in his selfishness, used the good intention of Iluvatar to do as he pleased. Thus the selfishness, led to the covetousness, which led to theft, and every evil intention began to breed in the thoughts of those whose desire was not to benefit others, but themselves.

And we see this clearly in Feanor's crafting of the Silmaril's; His good intention carried him into his own possessiveness as a direct result of the beauty of the very thing he had crafted.
Morgoth in turn used Feanor's covetous desire to weave a web of deception by simply stealing the Silmaril's.

Think on this pattern I have discussed here. And remember all that you know of what has come to pass; How one thing led to another, and it was all birthed out of good intention in craft.

Gorthaur, whom most of you call Sauron, used this very principle in utter deceitfulness. Using the name Annatar (which in and of itself was utterly deceitful) deceived Celebrimbor into forging the rings of power just so he could forge the One ring to rule them all.
Selfish use of craft is the very thing that has brought into this world every work of evil imaginable.

I guard myself from that path of darkness by my intention to craft unto others, and not selfishly unto myself.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

There has been chaos within the castle for many months.
All too many trips to the surface to attend to other important needs.
I think sometimes that. as much as all those other items are very important, it is equally important to take some time to myself.

I have been reflecting back on a very important time I spent with the Professor concerning his writing about our discussions over the past many weeks.

There was a time of great upheaval about eighty years ago when the Professor came to me to discuss how he wanted to introduce the past to your world.
He began his discourse discussing fairy tales, legends, and myths that have permeated your cultures over the centuries.
I remember how he continued to emphasize the long standing stereotypes that he insisted would be the basis for introducing our world long past.

"The people of my world will never accept this as truth", he said pausing to light his pipe (he always enjoyed his smoke when with me in our time together) then continued, "They are not capable of accepting any of this without labeling me a fool, and quite possibly insane if I present it as truth in the form of documentary.
"They will insist on proof and the only proof I have is you. This will of course cause you a great deal of intrusion. I'm not fond of the idea of putting you on display."

I agreed of course. My purposes for remaining here and not returning into the west have always remained secretive.
Having said that, I must add that it was at this time that I think the Professor made up his mind not to include much information about me in his writing so as to e xp edite my anonymity.

"I've decided to write a children's book first"

"You mean before you write about our past, yes?"

"No, no. I mean in order to introduce you to our world. I think beginning with a children's book, people will adapt more fluently to what appears to be a fairy tale. Then they can more readily accept the e xp anse of all this history you have told me about.
'From the mouths of babes' approach. Adults will will no doubt share in their child's enlightenment by hearing about this magnificent world you have e xp ressed to me."

"As I have had much time to indulge in your fairy tales to enlighten myself with where man stands in this age", I replied, "I suppose you plan on telling them we have pointed ears, and we can be ever so small, flitting about with wings?"
I could clearly see on the Professors face and by his disposition, he was becoming anxious.

"Precisely not", he began. "Rather I feel it important to dismiss these many myths about elves being small in stature, and with wings. Concerning your ears I'd rather just leave it unspoken."

"Do you know how those foolish rumors began?
It was those impetuous dwarves!
After the war of the ring, it became clear to most of us that the age of men would take full reign.
We began to leave at an accelerated rate after that.
The dwarves of course always made themselves more, how should I say it?
Accessible to men.
When most of the elves had left they began their tales. Being of small stature themselves they told stories of us being even smaller. Revenge! That's what it was.
And the ears! Look at me John."

I had deliberately place my hands on each side of my face as a I stared directly at the Professor. My index finger placed behind my ear and the rest of my hand in front, allowing only the edge of my ear to be visible to him.
"What do you see?"
He didn't respond.

"We always allowed our hair to grow long and straight", I said.
"Our ears protruded just enough to see the outer edge. Noegyth Nibin! This particular began long, long ago; The Second age if I remember correctly.
And when Legolas returned after the war and ask if he could bring Gimli to the palace. I refused on that ground alone.

He pleaded with me saying Gimli had learned enough to change his mind about us.
Oh really I replied. And what of our ears Legolas? Did he repent of that after he found yours were not pointed?
I remember the pause and the look on my sons face. He scowled and asked, "How could you know about that?"

"Know about what", I replied.

"When I confronted him about my ears I asked him if he would continue to speak of our ears being pointed".

"And what was his reply?"

"He let out that sly laugh he makes. Took another drink of his ale and said, 'Anything for a pointy eared princeling'".

It was then that John laughed and inquired, "What did you say to that?"

"Never! He will never be allowed to come here".

Over the course of many millennia I happen across ancient friends and relatives.
While I respect the privacy of members, and especially my customers, I understand the desire for anonymity. It is, after all, the reason we chose names and avatars.

I, of course, find out the true identities of people who buy my works.
Recently I found out that one of our members here goes way back in time.
To Beleriand and the First Age in fact.
He bears the name of the major river that passes through that land.

It is times like these that inspired me to create this thread, and share with all of you the truth of the Professor's historical writings.

I will leave it to that member as to whether or not he cares to let the rest of you know who he is.

Return to “Tolkien”