Re: The Elfstone

[quote=""Idril""]Very nice. Thanks for the pics. I'll probably be ordering mine before the end of the month.

Are you suggesting it is too heavy for a necklace?[/quote]

"Too heavy" is kind of subjective, but if I had it around my neck I know I'd be well aware of it.
And it is good size ...comes close to being similarly sized like a "Chain of office" pendant.

Arwen's pendant is light and like filligree.
This is pretty solid..no "airiness" about it except at the top.

So are you thinking of buying it as a pendant instead of the brooch?
(the only difference being that they include a chain...it's the exact same piece)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I am actually thinking of buying the broach yes. I'm not so sure they are exactly the same. I thought when I look d at the dimensions, there was a slight difference. Perhaps I should check again.

I don't wear necklaces and since it was given to Aragorn as a broach - I thought perhaps that is the way to go.

@ Buckeye: Thank you! I hope you get the vet bills paid off sooner rather than later, and can get yours also.

@ Idril: Description from Badali, so I think it's the same piece...just has a loop at the top through which the chain goes:

... The eagle brooch is set with a 20 x 13 mm Great Green Stone. A 20 x 13 mm emerald green cubic zirconia is available for an additional $70.00. The elven brooch measures approximately 62.2 mm (2 1/2") long, 32.4 mm (1 1/4") at the widest point and 10 mm (3/8") thick at the gemstone. The Elessar pin weighs approximately 25.8 grams in sterling silver .... Weight will be approximately 5 grams heavier with the cubic zirconia. Includes a standard brooch pin.

The eagle necklace is set with a 20 x 13 mm Great Green Stone. A 20 x 13 mm emerald green cubic zirconia is available for an additional $70.00. The elven necklace measures approximately 62.2 mm (2 1/2") long, 32.4 mm (1 1/4") at the widest point and 10 mm (3/8") thick at the gemstone. The Elessar necklace weighs approximately 26.5 grams in sterling silver...Weight will be approximately 5 grams heavier with the cubic zirconia.

What I find odd is that the brooch weighs slightly less than the Necklace (even leaving out the chain).
You would think it would weigh a fraction more because there is a pin soldered to it.
The necklace piece does have the extra loop at the top, but I can't see that weighing more than the pin. :huh:

I picked up mine this morning and it is so beautiful. The only thing I wish is that Badali would've gone a bit further and designed a nice display box fit for a king. Right now, the Elfstone is propped up with the Ring of Barahir in it's box.

I took a shot of it with Aragorn's crown, ring, and coronation banner as the background.
Last edited by Arwyniel on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow... absolutely gorgeous photos, Arwyniel. You perfectly captured the tones of silver and green with the light. Very cool.

Ok, I need to stop procrastinating and order this thing already. :huh:

BTW, where did you get that coronation banner? It is clearly not the Flaggen Pehl version.
This Space for Rent

Very nice, Arwyniel. I really wish I could purchase this item right now, especially with their silver sale pricing. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait. :(

Does anyone here know how frequently they have that kind of sale on Sterling silver?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Valkrist""]Wow... absolutely gorgeous photos, Arwyniel. You perfectly captured the tones of silver and green with the light. Very cool.

Ok, I need to stop procrastinating and order this thing already. :huh:

BTW, where did you get that coronation banner? It is clearly not the Flaggen Pehl version.[/quote]

Thanks Val!
I had to look up how long I've had the banner. 10 (!!!!) years now.
My mom helped me make it. I can't remember if Flaggen Pehl's came out before or after we made it. I used the Weapons and Warfare picture as my end goal so my banner is more golden than the silvery tone that was shown in the movie. I submitted my process to alleycatscratch and they still have it up! :)

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scr ... CorBan.htm

And thanks to you too Buckeye! :) I'm afraid I don't know how frequently they put their stuff on sale.
Last edited by Arwyniel on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Just created my Badali account and now I'm waiting for the newsletter coupon to arrive. :thumbs_up

Yeah, I felt the banner look very golden but thought maybe that was a trick of the light. Still, it looks absolutely awesome, especially the raised details. I have the Flaggen Pehl one and the background on it is a very pale blue. The stars and tree are in white, but I think they are supposed to be silver thread in the movie.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Just created my Badali account and now I'm waiting for the newsletter coupon to arrive. :thumbs_up

Yeah, I felt the banner look very golden but thought maybe that was a trick of the light. Still, it looks absolutely awesome, especially the raised details. I have the Flaggen Pehl one and the background on it is a very pale blue. The stars and tree are in white, but I think they are supposed to be silver thread in the movie.[/quote]

Thank you! I looked through all my old pics around that time to try to refresh my memory. If I recall correctly, I received one of the first batches of Flaggen Pehl's version and they were defective (the shape of the banner was not symmetrical). I was very disappointed in the quality so I decided to make my own. The picture in the Weapons and Warfare book looked gold so that's the kind of material I bought for it. In the book I think it was described as sable in color (isn't that a dark, rich brown?)

REALLY nice pics Arwyniel! (No surprise there).

So...ummmmm, where did you find the coronation banner?
(Since I have the Elfstone, I'm now interested in the banner :D )

Edit: Neeevveerrr miiiind......just read your post....excellent work on the banner!
I too noticed all the raised applique-type details and knew it didn't come from the place in Germany that made all the others.
Last edited by Deimos on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]REALLY nice pics Arwyniel! (No surprise there).

So...ummmmm, where did you find the coronation banner?
(Since I have the Elfstone, I'm now interested in the banner :D )

Edit: Neeevveerrr miiiind......just read your post....excellent work on the banner!
I too noticed all the raised applique-type details and knew it didn't come from the place in Germany that made all the others.[/quote]

Thank you! ;)

Read the AlleyCat scratch link....is the Wonder Under stuff still available??? :O ....boy I could use it in a half ton of projects I'm thinking about!

[quote=""Deimos""]Read the AlleyCat scratch link....is the Wonder Under stuff still available??? :O ....boy I could use it in a half ton of projects I'm thinking about![/quote]

I'm pretty certain it is! My sister in law just used some on a dress for my niece. :)

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I'm pretty certain it is! My sister in law just used some on a dress for my niece. :) [/quote]

Thank You!....(scurries off to buy some)....

Well that looks wonderful. I've got this week to order it and I'll have to after looking at those wonderful pics.

I agree on the flags. I've just bought material to make Eomers flag as the German ones just don't do it for me as great hall banners. That one looks fantastic.

Congrats!

[quote=""Idril""]Well that looks wonderful. I've got this week to order it and I'll have to after looking at those wonderful pics.

I agree on the flags. I've just bought material to make Eomers flag as the German ones just don't do it for me as great hall banners. That one looks fantastic. Congrats![/quote]

oooooo, Idril, you read my mind.
I too want to make better (more substantial) versions of the Rohan flags and the flags of Gondor.
And which is why I got so interested in the Wonder Under.

[quote=""Idril""]Well that looks wonderful. I've got this week to order it and I'll have to after looking at those wonderful pics.

I agree on the flags. I've just bought material to make Eomers flag as the German ones just don't do it for me as great hall banners. That one looks fantastic.

Congrats![/quote]

Oh I'm very excited to see your Eomer flag. That's my favorite! :)

Grrrr... it's been nearly four days since I created my account and subscribed to the newsletter and nothing has arrived yet! They even sent me an email right away when I registered saying that the coupon would arrive within 24 hours.

Bogus! It did not. :angry:

I just hit the subscription button again. If I don't have something by tomorrow, it will be time to turn into my Captain Kirk avatar and lay the smackdown on Janelle at Badali's CSR. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

Return to “Tolkien”