The Elfstone

Are there any drawings or pictures of Aragorn actually wearing the Elfstone?
Pretty certain Tolkien never made any (I don't think he ever drew people).

We know what it generally looked like from the description in "Farewell to Lorien" (FOTR)

But with the upcoming release of the Badali version I wondered if anyone else has presented other interpretations of it, especially with Aragorn actually wearing it, either in a character's vision of him or openly after his coronation.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: The Elfstone

I have no idea if Tolkien ever drew the Elfstone, but I didn't know about the forthcoming Badali release. I had to go look it up for myself.

For not being movie canon, this is a really beautiful interpretation (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like most Badali interpretations). I wonder how much they'll charge for this?

[quote=""Nerdanel""]I have no idea if Tolkien ever drew the Elfstone, but I didn't know about the forthcoming Badali release. I had to go look it up for myself.

For not being movie canon, this is a really beautiful interpretation (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like most Badali interpretations). I wonder how much they'll charge for this? [/quote]

Ditto to that about the Badali interpretations...have not been too impressed.

But they hit the mark with the Elfstone.
I had envisioned it only slightly different, but not too much.

Definitely going to get it.
I'm guessing it will go for about $100....maybe $125.
I'd be surprised (but very happy) if it is priced below $100.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Nice find Night Rider, haven't seen that one. I think I still prefer Badali's version. Any indication when it will hit the market?[/quote]

The PR shot has a 2014 date...you'd think Badali would release it this year (like, today would be nice.)

They may be waiting for a date closer to Christmas, closer to the release of the last installment of the Hobbit.
But since Aragorn isn't in it, that really wouldn't make any sense to wait.
Still, it's a Tolkien related piece, so maybe that's all that matters....

[Short answer to your question: no idea when :P ]

[quote=""Deimos""]The PR shot has a 2014 date...you'd think Badali would release it this year (like, today would be nice.)

They may be waiting for a date closer to Christmas, closer to the release of the last installment of the Hobbit.
But since Aragorn isn't in it, that really wouldn't make any sense to wait.
Still, it's a Tolkien related piece, so maybe that's all that matters....

[Short answer to your question: no idea when :P ][/quote]

Their Facebook page indicated that it would be available on their web site shortly after the SDCC ended...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]Their Facebook page indicated that it would be available on their web site shortly after the SDCC ended...[/quote]

It has ended ....
As Vizzini in PB says: "I'm waiting!" :D

[quote=""Fingolfin""]You know, if the price is right, I might just be interested in this. It would look great next to the Aragorn in Coronation armor statue.[/quote]

Likewise it will perfectly complement the NC Crown of King Elessar :)

Pinged Badali over the weekend about the release date for the Elessar brooch.

They just responded (thanks Janelle!):

"I do apologize that it has taken us so long to get it on the website, we've been bogged down with so many things lately. Luckily it will actually be going up on the site this week (possibly even today or tonight)."

Yesssss....Pretty sure that will be my next acquisition.

[quote=""Buckeye""]Deimos, was there any mention of a price point for the Elfstone?[/quote]

No price mentioned, but then, I neglected to ask. :embarasse
I think it's a subconscious thing carried over from work: that some info is "proprietary" until a thing goes public, so didn't I even think to ask.

And had I done so, I wouldn't have been surprised at an answer like, "We can't mention price until the article is on the website."

So, fingers crossed it will be around a hundred. :) We shall see what we shall see....

@ Olorin... Aragorn in that drawing so much reminds me of someone....but I can't place him... (maybe a Monty Python personage???? :D )

The Hildebrandts were brilliant at some things: light and landscapes, for example (both evident in this pic). Depicting characters...generally not brilliant, though they usually did well with Gandalf (as my avatar attests) and some of the others. I never liked Aragorn with the sweeping mustache, probably because my understanding of Tolkien suggested he might not have had beard growth (having a good measure of Elvish descent), and the cheesy medieval-style costumes didn't help either.

If the Aragorn depicted here were to remind me of someone, it would probably be Dennis DeYoung of Styx, circa late 1970s.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I never would have guessed that the Elfstone gift and your Avatar were drawn by the same person(s).

The Elfstone Gift pic is OK (and I agree with your critique of how Aragorn is depicted) but I've always really liked the drawing of your avatar, and wondered who the artist was.

(Galadriel looks like a distant relation of Glinda, the Witch of the North :D )
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elessar /Elfstone update:

This from Badali (again , thanks Janelle!)

Elessar will be available in two metal options (Sterling Silver and White Finished Bronze) and two styles (Brooch and Necklace). The Sterling Silver version is Reg. Retail $199.00 but we will be offering it at a Special Price of $169.00 and the White Bronze version is Reg. Retail $129.00 but we will be offering it at a Special Price of $99.00. There is also the option to upgrade the stone to a 20 x 13 x 5.92mm Emerald Green CZ for an additional $70.00.

A little more than I wanted to spend, but not too much....will definitely grab the discount for whatever version I decide on.

Edit: Just checked the website....it's posted!
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ditto on the upgrades...will likely go for those. ;)

[quote=""Deimos""]I never would have guessed that the Elfstone gift and your Avatar were drawn by the same person(s).

The Elfstone Gift pic is OK (and I agree with your critique of how Aragorn is depicted) but I've always really liked the drawing of your avatar, and wondered who the artist was.

(Galadriel looks like a distant relation of Glinda, the Witch of the North :D )[/quote]

Well, you should have asked who the artist was! :)

The Hildebrandt Brothers were the premiere Tolkien artists of their time, doing 3 calendars in the mid-late 1970s. They were my first e xp osure to art based on Tolkien. In fact, I think I probably saw their calendars before I even read the books.

I believe Tolkien's preferred artist for his works was Pauline Baynes.

I know Pauline Baynes illustrated the original publications of Lewis' Narnia stories, but I didn't know she also illustrated Tolkien's works.

I thought he drew all the artwork in the original issues. :huh:

Tolkien did a lot of art for the Hobbit, plus stuff for other works.

PB did illustrations for The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, a Middle-earth map, and maybe some miscellaneous things.

Tolkien was probably Tolkien's overall favorite artist, but he was fond of PB's work.

So Buckeye, are you going to get it?.....or is that a silly question? :D

[quote=""Deimos""]So Buckeye, are you going to get it?.....or is that a silly question? :D [/quote]

The short answer is yes, but not right now. I have substantial vet bills to pay off first. :(

I will have to patiently wait for their next Sterling silver sale and pick it up then.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I'm definitely going for the green CZ, but I'm so torn over the white bronze vs sterling...thoughts?[/quote]

Thoughts and emails too....

I corresponded with Badali (Janelle) about the release date, prices, materials etc a few times, and I did specifically ask about the white bronze vs sterling silver.

Anything plated will eventually "wear through" especially if its worn or handled, even infrequently...just depends on how thick the plating is.

What surprised me was that she said the plated version will tarnish and does require occasional polishing.
So (I am guessing that) the plating contains some silver.
I have been meaning to go to a metallurgy or jewelry mfr site to find out exactly what white bronze is, but just haven't done it yet.

So, if money is no object (isn't that a lovely phrase to be able to cavalierly utter?) I'd go for the sterling silver.
Both versions have to be polished, but the plating will wear through with repeated polishings, whereas the silver will always be silver, besides being intrinsically brighter and richer looking.

And that is why I chose the sterling silver version (with the CZ).
The initial offering discount, plus an additional "first time Badali customer" discount of 15% off made it too good a buy to pass up. :)

Was that first-time customer discount something that they offered during your exchanges with them as a nicety, or is that standard policy for all customers? I ask because I've never bought from them before, so obviously 15% off is a big deal.

Also, does anyone have any idea how long that special pricing is available for? Is it for preorders up until the item is actually out and then it's normal price after that?
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Was that first-time customer discount something that they offered during your exchanges with them as a nicety, or is that standard policy for all customers? I ask because I've never bought from them before, so obviously 15% off is a big deal. [/quote]

Go to their homepage, set up an account , but also sign up for the newsletter...(I really think it's the newsletter signup that triggers the discount message) You will get an email saying something like "Thank you for registering etc., you should receive a discount coupon in the next 24 hours."

[quote=""Valkrist""] Also, does anyone have any idea how long that special pricing is available for? Is it for preorders up until the item is actually out and then it's normal price after that?[/quote]

I must have emailed them a half dozen times....they are probably tired of hearing from me.
Or at least Janelle is, as she must be in their front lines of PR.

So, again, go to the home page and use the Contact Us link and ask how long the discount will be available.
She will reply pretty fast (during the workweek) and she is very nice and helpful when I asked all my questions.

I signed up for the newsletter back in August, received one newsletter with a coupon code, then no other newsletters since. I sent them an email asking about it and they forwarded me the newest newsletter with the code. So I ordered it. Full shebang. Silver with CZ. Oy. :club:

oooooo....maybe they won't send me another newsletter either, and then if/when I see something else I like, I'll do the same thing (use the perpetually renewable coupon :D )

With shipping mine came to something around $220.
It IS a good deal when you consider that full price, with no coupon plus shipping would be about $285 So about 25% savings is always happy time.

I got an acknowledgement of the order, and that was about 5 or 6 days ago....and nothing else....I thought that maybe it would have shipped by now.

The thing is, the way they word their newsletter is that members get a special discount/notification of sale items every month, not just when you sign up. Not sure what is going on with their mailing list as Janelle confirmed that I was on it. :|
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it arrives. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Arwyniel on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Badali just sent me a ship notice...1-3 business days.
Maybe I will see it by this weekend since it is coming USPS.

Will take pics with my feature loaded super-dee -duper Canon "point-and -shoot" . :D
(Hopefully they will come out OK... a lot still depends on the person taking them :P )

[quote=""Deimos""]Badali just sent me a ship notice...1-3 business days.

Will take pics with my feature loaded super-dee -duper Canon "point-and -shoot" . :D
(Hopefully they will come out OK... a lot still depends on the person taking them :P )[/quote]

Very exciting!!! :thumbs_up I'm sure they will look great! :D

[quote=""Deimos""]Badali just sent me a ship notice...1-3 business days.

(Hopefully they will come out OK... a lot still depends on the person taking them :P )[/quote]

Wonderful! I can't wait to see your pictures. :)

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Idril""]Great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. I'm on a forced 'no spend'. Lost my wallet yesterday so all my cc's are on hold. Could have been worse I guess. Only had $35 in my wallet and no money taken from the cards.[/quote]

Terrible news, sorry to hear that. :( I'm very glad to hear, though, that you were able to take care of your cards before any damage was done.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Idril""]Great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. I'm on a forced 'no spend'. Lost my wallet yesterday so all my cc's are on hold. Could have been worse I guess. Only had $35 in my wallet and no money taken from the cards.[/quote]

Don't even get me started on "forced no spend[s]" due to CC holds.
I've had 4 occurrences in the last 2 years...3 of them in 2013...and ALL of them due to a security breach somewhere.

Like clockwork (it seemed) I'd get a notice from VISA..."You have been issued a new credit card that will arrive in 10 business days. Please discontinue using your current card..." :cursing_r

So, bad luck....did you get your wallet back?

No wallet yet.... Sigh. I might have to borrow money for groceries as I had to hold my bank account card too and no time to get to the bank to withdraw.

Funny you mention that Deimos. My boss said the same today. His happens when someone like iTunes or PlayStation put out that $1 transaction to check on the cards validity. His bank just cancels his Visa card and reissues. He isn't given a chance to say it is ok.

Well, I should have had the ELfstone by now....
USPS "tried" to deliver it last Saturday, but a signature was required and I wasn't there to sign for it.

Went to the Post Office to get it...."Oh, it's still on the route truck...they will deliver it Monday."

They didn't. "It's at the Post Office...you have to go pick it up."

You can see where this is headed.

Arwyniel will likely get hers before I ever see mine...if I see it.
Maybe that's preferable because she can take 'way better pics of it than I ever could....and we both ordered the same version: silver with CZ.

Mine will probably get sent back to Badali as "undeliverable"...bunch of morons inhabit the Post Office.... :angry:
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I was wondering why we hadn't seen an update yet and then I received my shipping confirmation that said signature required. I understand and appreciate why they do that but sometimes it can be a real pain. I'm not sure which day it will come, but chances are I won't be home the day it comes either. Sorry you are having to chase it down Deimos! :( I hope you do get it first because I'd love to see how you capture it's beauty. You will do a great job. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I was wondering why we hadn't seen an update yet and then I received my shipping confirmation that said signature required. I understand and appreciate why they do that but sometimes it can be a real pain. I'm not sure which day it will come, but chances are I won't be home the day it comes either. Sorry you are having to chase it down Deimos! :( [/quote]

Yes, my knee jerk reaction was to be upset with Badali, but they probably send some pretty pricey stuff through the mail.
They want to make sure it gets delivered to the right address/recipient.
And I really wasn't there to sign.
But I blame the PO for not re-delivering and the run-around.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I hope you do get it first because I'd love to see how you capture it's beauty. You will do a great job. :thumbs_up [/quote]
You ARE an optimist! :D We will see....and it looks like I won't be able to pick it up until Thursday.
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deimos and Arwyniel . . . can either of you have that sort of package delivered to a work address? That's what I do with my collectibles so I can guarantee that there is *always* present to sign for them.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Buckeye""]Deimos and Arwyniel . . . can either of you have that sort of package delivered to a work address? That's what I do with my collectibles so I can guarantee that there is *always* present to sign for them.[/quote]

95% of the time I am at home, but I have plans on Thursday which I guess is when it will be attempted to be delivered. I'm very lucky to have a great post office so it shouldn't be any trouble picking it up there on Friday.

[quote=""Buckeye""]Deimos and Arwyniel . . . can either of you have that sort of package delivered to a work address? That's what I do with my collectibles so I can guarantee that there is *always* present to sign for them.[/quote]

Typically with online businesses there is a "Bill to" address and a "Ship to" address, but I've never split my orders like that.

So you could put down your business address for the "Ship to".

You may want to call Badali and see if they are OK with that. Their CS rep (Janelle) responds to emails pretty fast if you contact them during the week.

Post Office comes through! (Will wonders never cease!)
Pics are not high res because I first tried to upload them through the message box.
That didn't work...kept getting error so I used photobucket.
Brooch is placed on some silvercloth, all pics are indoors, some with flash, some in ambient lightDifferent close-ups are to show detail...notice the fine detail of the feathers. (I didn't notice that on the Badali website) CZ is really impressive with all the faceting.If you can swing the cost, I would strongly recommend upgrading to the sterling silver and the CZ. I can't imagine the plated version with a piece of green glass looks anywhere near as good. And with the 2 discounts (and shipping) I think $225 was a fair price.I'd be hard pressed to pay full price of almost $300http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...Elfstone-1.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...oneReverse.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...oneDetail2.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...oneDetail3.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...lfstoneCOA.jpg
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

THank you!

Yes, I am pleased with it...has substantial weight to it, which you would e xp ect since it's all silver.

It will look perfect displayed with the NC Crown of Elessar.

Glad you finally got it, Deimos. I'll probably be ordering mine soon.

I was always puzzled why the Elfstone was left out of the movies, but then it dawned on me: with Arwen playing a much larger role than in the books, it made sense she would gift her beloved with something, and thus the Evenstar pendant was born. Receiving the Elessar later from Galadriel would have been redundant.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Tolkien”