Editions of your Tolkien books

It's been a long while since I've started a new thread on this forum! From our discussion in the The Hobbit thread, I've been looking at different editions of the books. There's so many out there, and some people collect shelves of the same Tolkien book in different editions. What editions do all of you own? What are your favorites?

For my part, I have the History of The Hobbit hardcover boxed set:

LotR and The Hobbit paperback set from Del Ray with some original art and one "movie" cover:

A similar paperback set of HoME 1-5:

The later HoME's in paperback (I do not have the box, I have each individually):

I have the Unfinished Tales in this same edition as well.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Editions of your Tolkien books

And I also have the last three, as well as a few random copies of the earlier HoME in this format:

I have the standard US hardcover edition of The Silmarillion:

As for the rest of my Tolkien books, I have little tidbits here and there: Tales from the Perilous Realm, Bilbo's Last Song, stuff like that. I also have the standard Letters in the same format as my UT and HoME 6-9. :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Let's see....

The Hobbit: Green leather binding edition, gold leather 50th anniversary edition, annotated edition
LOTR: 2 copies of the red leather one volume edition (the older of which was my very first Tolkien purchase back in 1978, and the second one was from the 90s I think, which had typo corrections); 3 volume hardcover movie tie-in version
The Silmarillion: Ted Nasmith illustrated Second Edition, Easton Press leather binding edition
12 volume History of Middle Earth: original hardcovers
Unfinished Tales: original hardcover
Letters: original hardcover.
Bilbo's Last Song: original hardcover
The Children of Hurin: original hardcover
A Tolkien Miscellany: book club hardcover collection of short Tolkien works like Tom Bombadill
Tree and Leaf hardcover

And I think that's it, as far as books actually written by Tolkien
Last edited by Olorin on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

If one wants to be "Collector purist/nitpicky" we should also be listing publishers, editions, printings, etc.

I have gotten a few of my Tolkien works from UK sellers because I prefer the British spellings, the way JRRT actually spelled words.

Anyway, I figured (like Fin) posting pics is the easiest way to do this.
If anyone is interested in knowing precisely what editions I have, feel free to ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

These are the works I have about JRRT: commentaries, readers, companions, etc., and of course, the wonderful, if not indispensable, atlas by Karen Fonstad ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Tolkien”