Where in Middle Earth Would You Live?

I saw a poll about this on Facebook being held by the Lord of the Rings Online game page. Of course they were using only locations found in the game, but it got me thinking, "Where would I want to live in the world of Tolkien?" Of course, we have only seen a small part of Middle Earth on the big screen and there are many more locations in the books, games, etc. I shall start with the location in Lord of the Rings Online in which I think the designers did an amazing job of fitting Lake Evendim into the New-Zealand-ish landscape we have all scene and made it beautiful.

I would love to live in Evendim because of the following:

I love large rolling hills/smaller mountains

I love forests

I love lakes

I love old ruins

So where would you want to live? Anywhere you have seen or imagined in books, games, movies, cartoons, or illustrated.
Last edited by RevAnakin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Re: Where in Middle Earth Would You Live?

I've never been able to answer this question! There are just too many beautiful locations. I'm a traveler and I'd be the same in Middle Earth. However, everyone needs a place to hang their hat, and I think for me it would be Eriador. Where, I don't know, but that's the climate that I'm used to. I love the diverse geography and mixing of peoples in that region. Much like Bilbo, though, I would have to see it all for myself before the end! :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Fingolfin wrote:I've never been able to answer this question! There are just too many beautiful locations. I'm a traveler and I'd be the same in Middle Earth. However, everyone needs a place to hang their hat, and I think for me it would be Eriador. Where, I don't know, but that's the climate that I'm used to. I love the diverse geography and mixing of peoples in that region. Much like Bilbo, though, I would have to see it all for myself before the end! :thumbs_up
I definitely understand that about traveling. Heck, by the time September rolls around, I shall have moved four times in two years!

Eriador is a big place though that is very much inclusive of my Middle Earth home. The climate you are used to is very much Ered Luin or Forochel!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

N2darkness wrote:This an awesome topic for a thread. As I have never played LOTR Online I have yet to visit all of these places. Going strictly by locations I have seen in PJ films I'm sure I'd pick Hobbiton :inlove: as I'm all about creature comforts. Rivendell would be a close second with all the cool architecture and awesome local.

A very nice place indeed!

Arwyniel wrote:
RevAnakin wrote:
Arwyniel wrote:Love Rivendell and Hobbiton, but I'd probably feel most at home in Rohan. :D
So you feel most at home in Kansas? :p
Uhmm...what? :lol:
I live in Kentucky, known for fine horses...and bourbon...and chicken, lol
Kentucky for the horses surely. I was thinking landscape, Rohan just seems more plains rather than the beautiful rolling hills of Kentucky, which are more Shire-like to me.

Arwyniel wrote:
RevAnakin wrote:
Kentucky for the horses surely. I was thinking landscape, Rohan just seems more plains rather than the beautiful rolling hills of Kentucky, which are more Shire-like to me.
Gotcha. :thumbs_up Guess I've got best of both worlds then. We even have mountains too. Mountains, Rev! ;)
I am sitting in Indiana, not so far away and all I see is corn and corn and corn and some soy, then more GMO Monsanto corn... No hills, no mountains, not many trees. So glad to be leaving soon :)

RevAnakin wrote:
Arwyniel wrote:
RevAnakin wrote:
Gotcha. :thumbs_up Guess I've got best of both worlds then. We even have mountains too. Mountains, Rev! ;)
I am sitting in Indiana, not so far away and all I see is corn and corn and corn and some soy, then more GMO Monsanto corn... No hills, no mountains, not many trees. So glad to be leaving soon :)
Oh poor thing! Indiana has got to be the most boring state to drive through.

Home by the sea, facing West
Mithlond [Grey Havens].jpg
Second would be the Shire, third Lothlorien (if it were never to go dark), fourth Rivendell , fifth Orthanc (restored and again surrounded by trees)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Played LOTRO for two years and I love their interpretations and renditions of ME locales.

I would travel all around, taking in the sights, even Mordor. For a place to live though, it would have to be on the coast somewhere. I was born by the sea, grew up by the sea, and currently live by the sea. Like an elf, it calls to me. :inlove:

Lindon would be my choice, and not necessarily Mithlond.

I do love the rural/pastoral and idyllic setting of the Shire also, so that would be a close second, but the sea would still have to be nearby, so probably Tower Hills.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote:...t would have to be on the coast somewhere. I was born by the sea, grew up by the sea, and currently live by the sea. Like an elf, it calls to me.
Lindon would be my choice, and not necessarily Mithlond. .

That's OK....I don't want my neighbors to be right in my back yard....
A little distance, if you please, is preferable.
Valkrist wrote:
I do love the rural/pastoral and idyllic setting of the Shire also, so that would be a close second, but the sea would still have to be nearby, so probably Tower Hills.

oooooo....cool...you would even have your own Palantir ....(I think that is the one that always looks West to Valinor)

Val, I have a lifetime subscription to LOTRO so I pop on whenever I can. As of now, I play about 2 hours per week. Just fun to run around. My elf hunter is my highest character and he's currently in Mirkwood slaughtering orc raiding parties :)

Fingolfin wrote:I've always wondered what would happen if I got sucked into that game! It always seemed fun but time consuming.
Once you get your degree, a full time job seems like vacation (at least to me it did). Then just download it and try it. It is now free to play.

Like World of Warcraft, etc. you can choose a class and a race. I have like 8 characters I rotate. It is fun because the plot lines in the game are either straight out of the books or really, really true to Tolkien. There really hasn't been a quest where I think, "Hmm, this really doesn't fit into Tolkien's world."

With that, building on what Val said, and getting back on topic, the locations are so wonderfully done. There is this type of Green House in Moria that uses glowing crystals to grow the food for the dwarves. It is GORGEOUS in there.

You know if you take a trip down to Indy in the next couple months I could show you around a couple locations from my account :D

lol... MIthlond is a big place, Deimos, but ok... you can have it all to yourself. I'll go further up the coast and settle on a nice Elven manor house by the beach. ;)

Rev, I was a Founder for LOTRO as I participated in the Beta. Back then, there were actually paid memberships. I get why they opened it up to be free, switching to the pay-for-content model, but for me that only allowed all of the rabble in that has no respect for the setting. I quit playing before the Moria expansion came out as I found the MMO life was consuming too much of my time. I loved the game, but the experience had run its course for me and organizing large group raids was becoming too much of a chore if you wanted to see all the game had to offer. I retired my Elf Champion at the (then) level cap of 50, with a full sets of class and Rift gear. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

RevAnakin wrote:I am surprised that no one here has the dream of living in MInas Tirith?
MT really is modeled on the very old medieval fortress towns.
I think it would be like living in... an ant hill....everyone too close together.

Heck, I didn't even want Valkrist in Mithlond.
Well, I'd be OK with him there, as long as he lived on the other side of the harbor.

I don't do apartments, townhouses or condos either.
And MT has to be ultimate in condo"lock-and-leave" living.
I'd be OK with living in Ithilian, tho'... (and that is still in Gondor).

I keep mulling this question over, where in ME would I want to live, and never really come up with an answer. Until now, I would have thought my answer would be Rivendell. It certainly has a lot going for it in terms of scenery and culture, but eventually being looked down upon by the Elves would get tiresome. Also, I can tell you that valleys in the mountains would not be a good place to live—too big a risk of flooding and landslides. Unless of course, Elrond's Ring prevents such things....

The Shire would also be very appealing. I think it might be about the homiest place to live.

Minas Tirith would be enticing, but as has been pointed out, having a view of Mordor would not be good. Even after the fall of Sauron, you would always be reminded how close the world came to doom, and wonder what Dark Lord might next come to power, even though it could not be Sauron.

But in the final analysis, there are some things about the modern world that would be very hard to give up: city water and sewer service, electricity, internet, etc. Middle-earth might be a better place to visit than to live.

You know, the Hobbiton set was going to be left standing this time as a tourist attraction. If they actually built some of those Hobbit homes instead of just having them be a facade, what a B&B that would make! And they could find other places in NZ (not a national park) to build Rivendell and have it be a place you could stay. Just imagine!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Valkrist wrote:Geez, Deimos... why do I get the feeling that living next to you could be the next Hatfields and McCoys feud? :club:

Val...it isn't you...and it's not a feud(al) situation...really.
I am somewhat of a recluse (altho' my friends say "somewhat" nowhere near says how reclusive I am.)
They are entitled to their opinions, but I disagree.... I am not a hermit.
I merely am comfortable in my own company, and I like lots of space between my space and others' space(s).

So if you (or anyone) lived across the [Mithlond] harbor from me that would work out just fine.....just so long as you stayed on your side of the harbor.
(And you ARE familiar, I presume, with the message "a shot across the bow" conveys?)

Valkrist wrote:So, you want the north side of the harbour, or the south? ;)
So rather than have any of you think that I make Marvin Boggs look like Mr. Congeniality...I will let you choose which side of the harbour you prefer.

Return to “Tolkien”