Re: The Hobbit

Followed by, "Go back to Earth, you aren't finished there yet!"

A very sad day indeed...
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Re: RIP, Sir Christopher Lee

When I was a kid, his Dracula movies scared the crap out of me. He didn't even need dialogue...just his incredibly diabolical expressions were enough.

Of course, he was perfection itself as Saruman. And he made many many movies in between those two roles, most of which I never saw. Some day I should see the Wickerman; it's a cult classic and supposedly his favorite performance.

In the mean time, a very fond farewell to a great and distinguished actor!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote:..... Some day I should see the Wickerman; it's a cult classic and supposedly his favorite performance....
There are now two versions out that differ from the Theatrical release: The Longer version (aka the Director's Cut) which is the older of the two, and the Final Cut which is relatively new (circa 2013) .
There are passionate opinions about which is better.

I watched the DC version years ago, when it was identified only as the "longer version"--the Theatrical release being called the Shorter version.
After reading about the Final Version I am not overly inclined to view it...there are definitely some "technical issues" with it.
See http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=970551

Still, as I said, it is the preferred version for not an insignificant number of people.

It is sometimes billed as a horror movie...it is not, and even Lee (in a 2002 interview) protested that to call it that was incorrect.
And, yes, he does say that it was his favorite role.

Re the story: ...ummm.... disturbing....really, really unsettling.
Makes you think (and wonder)...
And the ending....well, let's just say that it stays with you.
In fact, and awful lot of the story stays with you.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I've been wanting to see The Wickerman; I don't know the plot, but I know it has to do with the occult and that it is rather unsettling. Sounds like something that Sir Christopher Lee would bring to life!

Many people also don't know how impassioned he was towards classical music. Apparently he wanted to study music at the Royal Conservatory after the War, but never did. He was a lover of opera and supposedly sang arias.

On a side note: when you Google search his name, it lists a few films and then says "View 45+ others" ... You wanna talk about a legacy? :O
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Fingolfin wrote:I've been wanting to see The Wickerman; I don't know the plot, but I know it has to do with the occult and that it is rather unsettling. Sounds like something that Sir Christopher Lee would bring to life!
Not "occult"...pre-Christian paganism (think 'Druids') as practiced by a 20th C. community, what are called Wiccans today...involving primitive beliefs, emotions, and (not to put too fine a point on it) ...savagery.
(With Sir Christopher's character--Lord Summerisle--at the very center)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote:
Olorin wrote:..... Some day I should see the Wickerman; it's a cult classic and supposedly his favorite performance....
There are now two versions out that differ from the Theatrical release: The Longer version (aka the Director's Cut) which is the older of the two, and the Final Cut which is relatively new (circa 2013) .
There are passionate opinions about which is better.

I watched the DC version years ago, when it was identified only as the "longer version"--the Theatrical release being called the Shorter version.
After reading about the Final Version I am not overly inclined to view it...there are definitely some "technical issues" with it.
See http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=970551

Still, as I said, it is the preferred version for not an insignificant number of people.

It is sometimes billed as a horror movie...it is not, and even Lee (in a 2002 interview) protested that to call it that was incorrect.
And, yes, he does say that it was his favorite role.

Re the story: ...ummm.... disturbing....really, really unsettling.
Makes you think (and wonder)...
And the ending....well, let's just say that it stays with you.
In fact, and awful lot of the story stays with you.

Sounds like they should release a box set up with all versions, like they did for Blade Runner.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Tolkien”