The War of the Rohirrim

war.jpg

Thought of giving this show its own thread, since we now even have a confirmed release date: April 12, 2024
As I said before, I'm currently much anticipating this movie, not only because it's focused solely on Rohan and Helm Hammerhand, but also (and most importantly) because it is being made by many familiar names to us: Philippa Boyens (executive producer), Richard Taylor, Alan Lee and John Howe (creative team).

READ: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord ... 235181646/

breachedoraswallsResize.jpg
The-War-of-the-Rohirrim-Variety.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The War of the Rohirrim

I'm interested to see it. If it's successful (and even if it's not) they may mine the appendices for even more one-off movies.

Note there is a struggle between Warner and Saul Zaentz Company right now. SZC actually owns the rights and Warner only leases them. SZC is wanting to sell, potentially imperiling Warner's license.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 am Note there is a struggle between Warner and Saul Zaentz Company right now. SZC actually owns the rights and Warner only leases them. SZC is wanting to sell, potentially imperiling Warner's license.
As per industry standard, the WB license is contingent upon them developing content related to the IP within an agreed-upon period of time. The license has essentially been fallow since The Hobbit trilogy and SZC is basically getting antsy and wanting to make some money (they're blatantly baiting Amazon and its deep pockets) and are using the excuse that WB has done nothing with IP as a way to sell.

Speculation is that WB has revived the War of the Rohirrim series in a bid to legally contest SZC's claim of inactivity. This should be an interesting fight. I think there are very few IPs in history that have been more litigious than Tolkien's works.
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:05 am Time to bump this thread....

An article on TORN reports that the movie will be 130 minutes long. I notes that length does not necessarily equal quality but that for Warner to cough up coin for expensive anime of that length, it connotes confidence in the product. There's a lot more to the article but TLDR.

See it here: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2023/0 ... utes-long/
Thank you very much for the article. :)

Any good news about this movie fills me with a little more hope. I have also read that the first reviews said that it is in the line of the LOTR trilogy, I hope it is true and that those involved treat the story with more affection and respect than what Amazon did with ROP.

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:39 am
XerachCruz wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:48 am I hope it is true and that those involved treat the story with more affection and respect than what Amazon did with ROP.
Don't get your hopes up.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/06/ ... t-of-view/

I was really looking forward to this, but the more I learned about the story, the less interest I have now.
Thanks for the article, I didn't know details about the direction they would take with the story.

What a misfortune, I had a weak hope, the little hope that I could have left after ROP. I had hope that those involved in this production coming from the films, some of them, would do something that would honor the story that Tolkien wrote, but I see that nowadays you can no longer make movies, you can only make ideological propaganda. :'(

More forced feminism and revisionist 'updates' shoved down our throats by hijacking a story and world that we all love, and twisting it to spread your own personal message and agenda. When the writer of this thing has to lead with "Before you start complaining...", then you know you've got a turd on your hands that you're already feeling defensive about before it's even been shown.

After the vomit-inducing fan fiction that Rings of Power has proven to be, I had such high hopes for a return to something resembling Tolkien, but instead we have another pointless side trip into someone's vanity and hubris. Sadly unsurprising as it seems that the most poorly-received and egregious changes to the LOTR and Hobbit movies came from Boyens.

Count me out.
This Space for Rent

I know a lot more that I can't talk about, but I can say UC looked at getting a license to replicate the weapons or helms. We were primarily interested in Helm and some of the other key characters I know of from Tolkien's story, as I assumed they would be following the basic events as outlined in the appendices. I thought if the designs were cool enough looking it could be a nice addition to the LOTR line. UC has replicated weapons from an animated films in the past that were successful.

Suffice it to say, UC passed after watching the presentation.
KRDS

So disheartening that all the great IP's are being diminished into horrible cash grabs nowadays. There is maybe a handful of films or TV shows from the last 10-15 years that are even vaguely memorable.

It's so sad that I'd much rather watch something old or something I know is good than take a chance on something new. I used to get so excited about hearing the possibility of something new about a property I liked, now it just scares me to what travesty they have turned it into now. I don't even have morbid curiosity anymore.

Maybe it's part of me getting older, but I weep for the future of entertainment.

And when this film eventually flops like every other agenda driven, minimal-effort venture tied to a popular IP that modern Hollywood puts out, they'll start a propaganda campaign to blame all the "toxic" fans for it and then the frauds...er, um, 'fans' at places like theonering. net will cheer them on.

"...The film would not have Helm Hammerhand as the main protagonist as one would expect if they were adapting the brief short story found in Appendix A about Helm Hammerhand.
Instead, the film is focusing on the unnamed daughter of Helm Hammerhand that the movie has named Hèra."

oh.my.god.
If the woke crowd was taken aback at the reaction to the teasers for the RoP first season were ( the ones aired during the Superbowl), wait until they're hit with the blowback for this...

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Tolkien”