Re: CJRT may spin in his grave….

I can live with it as long as it is explicitly understood that it has only a very peripheral connection to the utter nonsense that RoP is going to be, mainly in that it takes place during the same timeframe. If this was a synopsis of all the made up crap that is going to make up that show and then slapped with Tolkien's name on it to try and sell copies, then I'd think there would not only be a lawsuit in progress, but a visit from JRRT's and CJRT's irate ghosts themselves.
This Space for Rent

It's on Amazon now.

I really doubt if this will contain any story elements from the Amazon production. If you read HC's press release, it sounds like it's going to stick pretty close to the sources. And the cover art does not even include the usual "Now a major event series from Amazon Prime" sort of hype sticker.

Amazon is listing both October 4 and November 15 as the release date. HC's press release gives the November date.

No sign yet of what the deluxe edition will entail, so I will hold off ordering until more information is available.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Thanks....

US edition publisher: ‎ William Morrow
UK publisher is, per typical, HarperCollins

I don't know anything about William Morrow publishing House, absolutely nothing about the physical quality of their hardcover books.
However, it's a good bet that the editors have Americanized the spelling all the usual words: e.g., centre (center), colour (color), civilisation (civilization), etc.
Soooooo... hoping that HarperCollins still puts out quality hardback books, I will wait and get the UK edition.**

** Assuming that this is truly a worthwhile adaptation of the Tale of Years.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Random thought… I think when I was in grad school and the history of middle earth volumes were beginning to come out that I reflected on how interesting it was that new material was being published from an author who had been dead for over 10 years. Now here we are 40 years after that, and new works are still coming out. And many years after we thought the wellsprings had died up, and even after Christopher Tolkien died.

Olorin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm Random thought… I think when I was in grad school and the history of middle earth volumes were beginning to come out that I reflected on how interesting it was that new material was being published from an author who had been dead for over 10 years. Now here we are 40 years after that, and new works are still coming out. And many years after we thought the wellsprings had died up, and even after Christopher Tolkien died.
I guess academicians would say: "There is still a wealth of 'source material'". .... Lucky for us :thumbs_up :db: :btr:

Olorin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm Now here we are 40 years after that, and new works are still coming out. And many years after we thought the wellsprings had died up, and even after Christopher Tolkien died.
The material is not anything new. Its simply collecting all the various Second Age works Tolkien wrote and putting them in one volume chronologically. Sibley is just the editor who assembled it. He wrote introductions and commentaries, in the same manner as Christopher did in his various publications of his father's work, but all of the stories have been published before.

This is actually something I had hoped Christopher would do one day.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:02 pm
Olorin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm Now here we are 40 years after that, and new works are still coming out. And many years after we thought the wellsprings had died up, and even after Christopher Tolkien died.
The material is not anything new. Its simply collecting all the various Second Age works Tolkien wrote and putting them in one volume chronologically.
I know. I was speaking metaphorically, I guess. I was also reflecting on the recent Nature of Middle-earth book.

I've decided to get it, but am going to get the HarperCollins (UK) edition.
@Olorin: that review you linked to is what convinced me.; very comprehensive, very well done.
Thanks for posting it.

Just ordered one from Alibris.
Alibris lists both new and secondhand books; all the listings for this one happened to be 'new'.
So I ordered the HarperCollins ed. from a US based seller... just under $36 total (signed, sealed and delivered :) )
Should show up in about 2 weeks

My Fall of Numinor arrived.

Remember, I got the UK edition by HarperCollins.
Almost all of the recently published JRRT/CJRT books I also have in the UK edition.
This last one however, came with a tiny extra that the others didn't .
So I was wondering if the US published edition came with it also.
Did yours come with the ribbon marker?
Fall of Numinor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deimos wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:57 am My Fall of Numinor arrived.

Remember, I got the UK edition by HarperCollins.
Almost all of the recently published JRRT/CJRT books I also have in the UK edition.
This last one however, came with a tiny extra that the others didn't .
So I was wondering if the US published edition came with it also.
Did yours come with the ribbon marker?

Fall of Numinor.JPG
Yes, it did, I am pleased to report. I am also pleased to report. I am about 50 pages into it, which is an accomplishment, considering I’m only reading it for maybe 10 minutes at a time right before I fall asleep at night.

Return to “Tolkien”