Attack at the Prancing Pony

OK... One for the ME Lore Masters...
In the Book FOTR: Who attacks the Hobbits' bedroom at the Prancing Pony and slashes the bedding, bolsters,etc. and also releases the horses and ponies from the stables?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Attack at the Prancing Pony

Is this a trick question of some sort or are you trying to start a trivia thread? :huh:

Though never explicitly stated, I think it's generally accepted that the deed was done by Bill Ferny and his goon squad. There's enough evidence in the text that suggests it wasn't the Nazgul, unlike what both the Bakshi and PJ adaptations gave us.
This Space for Rent

Re: Attack at the Prancing Pony

No... Not a trick question, not do I want to start a Trivia Thread.
(Altho' as a mod, you may do that with my question, i.e. move it to a new "Trivia " thread.)

I asked the question because I was curious to know if anyone else other than moi thought it was the Nazgul who made the attack.
I read the books for the first time (and then re-read them, mind you) mere months before the release of the FOTR movie.
I had no PJ version to influence me, and yet I know (back then almost 21 years ago) I thought it was the Nazgul who attacked.
All these ensuing years (and now the belief was reinforced by the PJ version) I thought it was the Nazgul who did the dirty deed.
It wasn't until a few nights ago, reading LOTR for the umpteenth time, that it very forcefully hit me that it was not the Nazgul who attacked the Inn.
So I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there as thickheaded about it as I was (for 20+ years) :embarasse

Edit: Even tho' having the Nazgul attack the Inn the PJ way doesn't make much sense (especially knowing what the Nazgul are like) it is good visual drama. :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Tolkien”