Expert Swordsman Analyzes LOTR

This new Youtube vid (dated 15 Aug) is fascinating.
He analyzes the weapons, the style of fighting, the tactics, the realism (or not).
The narrator focuses on specific scenes from The Fellowship.
This is absolutely worth watching in its entirety (about 30 minutes long).
One thing is readily apparent... that PJ had knowledgeable consultants for the hand to hand combat scenes. (But I think I had read that somewhere a long time ago)

LOTR sword fights analyzed

There is at least one more vid where he analyzes the sword fighting in the Two Towers (I haven't watched that one yet).
There may be a third on ROTK, or maybe he hasn't made it available yet.

@Jash.... you will like this....I promise, guaranteed :thumbs_up
Last edited by Deimos on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Expert Swordsman Analyzes LOTR

Matt Easton goes by Scholagladiotria on YouTube. He’s my favourite YouTuber for any weaponry related issues. He used to do these vids on his channel for his own audience where he’d react and critique movie sword fights. He’s covered episodes of GOT and movies like Star Wars and Kingdom of Heaven too.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Never heard of him before I saw the vid, but I quickly surmised that he was a pro at what he does and had likely done many other analyses on sword-and-sorcery / sword-and-sandal movies.
But I didn't know if anyone else here knew about him.
Honestly, if there were ever a reason (or several reasons) for UC to make LOTR daggers, it's readily apparent in the man's discussion of their necessity in hand-to-hand combat.
I was on the fence about getting Boromir's dagger (should it ever be made), but now, after watching the video, I can't see not getting it.

Deimos wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:55 pm This new Youtube vid (dated 15 Aug) is fascinating.
He analyzes the weapons, the style of fighting, the tactics, the realism (or not).
The narrator focuses on specific scenes from The Fellowship.
This is absolutely worth watching in its entirety (about 30 minutes long).
One thing is readily apparent... that PJ had knowledgeable consultants for the hand to hand combat scenes. (But I think I had read that somewhere a long time ago)

LOTR sword fights analyzed

There is at least one more vid where he analyzes the sword fighting in the Two Towers (I haven't watched that one yet).
There may be a third on ROTK, or maybe he hasn't made it available yet.

@Jash.... you will like this....I promise, guaranteed :thumbs_up
Thank you very much for the video Deimos, being on the IGN channel I hadn't seen it.

I have also been following Scholagladiotria on YouTube for years., and as Lindir says, Matt Easton is a true expert in medieval weapons and combat. He is much more than a youtuber who is dedicated to talking about medieval weapons, is a true historian, collector of ancient weapons and instructor in the handling of medieval weapons. He really knows what he's talking about. :)

Thank you both for your comments.
I had no knowledge of Matt Easton or his school Schola Gladiatoria
Way back in the early 80s, BC (Before Computers), when I was in my 20s I took fencing lessons, and then joined the local club.
I did that for 3 or 4 years and got pretty good at it... won some tournaments (lost some too :D ), but thoroughly enjoyed it.
But I only fenced Foil...the Epée was too heavy (I have small hands) and I wasn't really interested in Sabre.
How ironic.
If I were still doing it today I would absolutely want to learn Sabre since that skill would be much more useful in my travels through ME ;)

(And @Jash.... I'm guessing you already know about Matt Easton :D )

Return to “Tolkien”