Royal Mint issues new Coin with Tolkien monogram

Did you all see this? (Especially the UK members )

From the article (linked below)
His trademark monogram,will forever grace this commemorative UK £2 coin.
‘NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST’, a quote from the poem ‘The Riddle of Strider’, which features in Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring, serves as the coin’s edge inscription.

New Tolkien coin issued

New Tolkien Coin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Royal Mint issues new Coin with Tolkien monogram

Deimos wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:12 pm Val, how can I get one?
No idea for the moment as the coin has yet to be released. This looks like merely an announcement that the coin will be forthcoming at a future date.

There is a 'register your interest' button at the bottom of that page which will have them notify you once there is more news about the coin, which will hopefully include a release date and a means of purchase. I didn't check the box at the bottom to be include in the mailing list for other offers and promotions and everything seemed to go through fine.

If this is somehow exclusive to residents of the UK only, that will be a total bummer, but I may have way to obtain one regardless.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:27 am
Deimos wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:12 pm Val, how can I get one?
No idea for the moment as the coin has yet to be released. This looks like merely an announcement that the coin will be forthcoming at a future date.

There is a 'register your interest' button at the bottom of that page which will have them notify you once there is more news about the coin, which will hopefully include a release date and a means of purchase. I didn't check the box at the bottom to be include in the mailing list for other offers and promotions and everything seemed to go through fine.

If this is somehow exclusive to residents of the UK only, that will be a total bummer, but I may have way to obtain one regardless.
Thank you. I saw the "Register" button.
Also I found shipping info. The Royal Mint does have international shipping ...about £12 or £13 IIRC.
I'm thinking this thing is going to be at least £30. Also there will only be a limited number struck since it is commemorative.

You know, I'm glad the RM is doing this, but I'm also not a little disappointed that it is doing it now, rather than when Queen Elizabeth was still alive.
This for several reasons:
Tolkien was alive during her reign.
SHe is the monarch who conferred upon him the title of CBE
I adored her and would have loved to have had a coin with her profile on one side and the JRRT monogram on the reverse. (Charles, not so much... :-p :rolleye: )

Levidas wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:01 am
Valkrist wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:22 am
Levidas wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:58 am
Which will happen tomorrow , apparently :)

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/2023/
:O

Do you have to buy that entire set just to get the Tolkien coin? If yes, that totally sucks. I hope they offer the way to get the coin on its own.

I hope so, too! And I think that's how they'll do it :thumbs_up
I do not know when the coins will be available to the public.
When the RM issued the Harry Potter coin(s) you could buy individual coins.
I do not know how the JRRT coin will be issued, that is, individually or in a set (but I'm thinking it will be as a single coin).
In any case I am on the mailing list and may get some advance notice on it.
I will post any news I get about it.

Also FYI (from my previous post)...I found shipping info. The Royal Mint does have international shipping ...about £12 or £13 IIRC.
I'm thinking this thing is going to be at least £30. Also there will only be a limited number struck since it is commemorative.

Well, this turned into a harrowing experience fast!

I was up tonight (luckily) so I checked the Royal Mint website at what would have been 8 AM in the UK, and it told me orders would be opening at 9 AM. Ok, no problem, I can wait an hour.

Lost track of time, so I was half hour late getting on. Imagine my surprise when I did and got a prompt that there was a queue in progress, not to close my browser or refresh, and that I was 4971st in line... :jaw:

Ok... thankfully it didn't take super long to get to my turn... about 20 minutes or so. I quickly discovered that a) the Tolkien coin was indeed only being sold as part of that 2023 commemorative set, and b) most of the different types of sets were already sold out!

Yeah, panic time.

While I dithered trying to work out exchange rates, the set I was going for that was still available when I was checking came back as sold out by the time I tried to add it to cart.

That left me with three options:

The $10,000 gold-proof set of LE 150
The LE regular set of 7,500
The no edition set with just the loose coins

I went for option two because it was only double the cost of the third and comes with a nice holder for all the coins.

Man... didn't think they would go that fast. :O

P.S. - They do talk about a Definitive Set *possibly* coming out later in the year, but without knowing whether that's for sure, what it entails, or how much it will cost, I wasn't about to take any chances. Just glad I was able to get one of the limited sets.

Oh, and despite registering for the email, I never did get one.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:21 pm Well, this turned into a harrowing experience fast!

I was up tonight (luckily) so I checked the Royal Mint website at what would have been 8 AM in the UK, and it told me orders would be opening at 9 AM. Ok, no problem, I can wait an hour.

Lost track of time, so I was half hour late getting on. Imagine my surprise when I did and got a prompt that there was a queue in progress, not to close my browser or refresh, and that I was 4971st in line... :jaw:

Ok... thankfully it didn't take super long to get to my turn... about 20 minutes or so. I quickly discovered that a) the Tolkien coin was indeed only being sold as part of that 2023 commemorative set, and b) most of the different types of sets were already sold out!

Yeah, panic time.

While I dithered trying to work out exchange rates, the set I was going for that was still available when I was checking came back as sold out by the time I tried to add it to cart.

That left me with three options:

The $10,000 gold-proof set of LE 150
The LE regular set of 7,500
The no edition set with just the loose coins

I went for option two because it was only double the cost of the third and comes with a nice holder for all the coins.

Man... didn't think they would go that fast. :O

P.S. - They do talk about a Definitive Set *possibly* coming out later in the year, but without knowing whether that's for sure, what it entails, or how much it will cost, I wasn't about to take any chances. Just glad I was able to get one of the limited sets.

Oh, and despite registering for the email, I never did get one.
I had a similar experience (panic) with the queue at 4 am this morning. I don't know if it is a location thing, but I still see the set available, just the coins, for £50. Which set were you hoping for initially?
Last edited by Arwyniel on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I decided against it.

I think it's pretty cool but not cool enough to spend ~ $70.
But had it been Queen Elizabeth's profile (meaning this would have been issued prior to her death) I think I would have jumped on it.

Arwyniel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 pm I had a similar experience (panic) with the queue at 4 am this morning. I don't know if it is a location thing, but I still see the set available, just the coins, for £50. Which set were you hoping for initially?
The problem is that none of the sets were previewed before being released, so with the added pressure of the queue and seeing things selling out fast, there wasn't much time to consider the options and make a decision. I wanted something that was limited in nature, and had a holder for the coins, so the only natural (and affordable) choice at the time was the 7500 set, which is what I got.

What's irritating me now is that the 2750 set, which would have been my preferred choice, was sold out last night, and this morning it says it's still available to order. What happened? Did people go back and cancel?

Deimos, the whole Charles versus Elizabeth thing... I get it, but it doesn't bother me at all. Living in Canada, just about every circulation coin (and I have a lot of commemorative ones also) has had Elizabeth's face on the back for the last four decades that I've lived here, so it is actually kind of neat to have some Charles coins ahead of getting our own.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:24 am
Arwyniel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:55 pm I had a similar experience (panic) with the queue at 4 am this morning. I don't know if it is a location thing, but I still see the set available, just the coins, for £50. Which set were you hoping for initially?
The problem is that none of the sets were previewed before being released, so with the added pressure of the queue and seeing things selling out fast, there wasn't much time to consider the options and make a decision. I wanted something that was limited in nature, and had a holder for the coins, so the only natural (and affordable) choice at the time was the 7500 set, which is what I got.

What's irritating me now is that the 2750 set, which would have been my preferred choice, was sold out last night, and this morning it says it's still available to order. What happened? Did people go back and cancel?

Deimos, the whole Charles versus Elizabeth thing... I get it, but it doesn't bother me at all. Living in Canada, just about every circulation coin (and I have a lot of commemorative ones also) has had Elizabeth's face on the back for the last four decades that I've lived here, so it is actually kind of neat to have some Charles coins ahead of getting our own.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted the £50 set. I'd be super annoyed if that happened! Sorry. :( I was shocked to see it would take 8-10 weeks to ship.

Arwyniel wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:41 am
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted the £50 set. I'd be super annoyed if that happened! Sorry. :( I was shocked to see it would take 8-10 weeks to ship.
I didn't know what I wanted because there were more choices than I expected, and I didn't know about any of them ahead of time. :huh:

Other than the lowest price, the £50 pound set was the least attractive because loose proof coins in mint condition get scratched up immediately. I just checked my order and didn't really see an option to cancel and don't feel like going through the hassle, so I'll stick with the 7500 set. The 2750 set doesn't seem any different other than having a different case, and the silver and gold sets are too rich for my blood.

So which one did you end up getting?
This Space for Rent

Return to “Tolkien”