Re: Expanded edition of Letters of JRR Tolkien coming in November

Olorin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:08 am https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2023/0 ... -november/

I have the first version from the early 1980s and it was a worthy read. Many insights not only into Middle-earth, but also Tolkien as a person.
Pretty sure I'll be getting it, but I'm still keeping my 1980's edition too.
The UK edition is published by HarperCollins (good!).
I didn't see it (yet) on the US Amazon site, but I'm betting the US edition will be published by HoughtonMifflin.
I normally wait for these Tolkien books to show up on the 2nd hand market (and they typically do) but I'm not going to wait on this one.
As soon as I can find a local source for the HarperCollins edition I'll order it.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Expanded edition of Letters of JRR Tolkien coming in November

Last night's TORN podcast/video was about this book. It is being significantly enlarged over the first edition. It will feature ~150 totally new letters and ~45 letters expanded from their previously shortened version. Addressing the potential question of how the book is still credited to Humphrey Carpenter despite his being dead for almost 20 years, they said that this is actually the original version that he submitted to the publisher way back in 1980 or whenever this came out. The publisher said at the time they couldn't afford to do a book that long for a limited audience. I guess they think otherwise now!

It was also mentioned that the original numbering of the letters would not be altered by the insertion of the new ones in chronological order. This is a big deal to some people, since sources often cite to "Letters" #123, etc. The inserts will still be in chronological order but will receive a sub number instead of a new number, for example, 8a instead of 9. They mentioned two letters would actually have their numbers swapped, as it has been determined that the one believed to be the later later was actually earlier.

The website Tolkien Collector's Guide (tolkiencollector.com) is doing a guide to the expanded edition: https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/ne ... mpost52549
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Tolkien”