Re: Firearm thread.

Currently I have a 1950's Browning Auto 5 Light, which is a 12ga 5 shot semi auto shotgun, I have an 1940's arisaka jap rifle, and a 1979 10/22 ruger.

I am toyging aroun with the idea of buying a glock at some point
"Do not come between a Nazgul and his prey. " - The Witchking of Angmar

As for guns and collections I have none but I had the great pleasure of being hired by a man who is a big game hunter. He showed me his trophy room in the basement (which was like mind-blowing, jaw dropping) and then walked me over to this door that had a keypad alarm next to it. He e xp lained that the alarm was separate from the main house and connected to the sheriff's dept. as he entered the code and opened the door.
Never in my life have I seen so many firearms outside of a gun store. This man has every single Winchester rifle ever made, one for each year. This is just the beginning and I'll not try to know all. He's got some black powder rifles from the Napoleon era, etc.
He walks over to this cheesy bookshelf unit where he has a bunch of hand guns and he asks me if I can make him a gun case to match the other cabinets in the room for these hand guns (which of course I did) but here comes the reason why I make this entry. He picks up this old revolver (which looks poorly made) and he puts it in my hand and he asks, "Do you know what that is?"
I say, "I don't know much about guns but I know they call these revolvers."
He says, "That's right, do you know who invented the revolver?"
I say, "Colt but I don't know his first name."
He says, "Samuel Colt, and that gun right there was made by the man himself. That's the fourth or fifth revolver he made, I think it's the fifth myself, but as you can see he was still working on the design. That's why it looks like a piece of crap."
I felt like I was holding Abraham Lincoln's hat. I was holding history. It's amazing the flood of emotion that hits you when you have an e xp erience like that.

A little less than a year ago I took the NRA Pistol course at my local Bass Pro, with the intent to get my gun license. I ended up not bothering though, because I live in Massachusetts. Since I don't think anyone here is from MA, I'll elaborate. Massachusetts gun laws make it almost impossible for people to own. We have a "list" of allowed firearms. I say "list" because it's more like a handful of guns that the state thinks are okay. Right now I'm still living at home while I finish up my masters, so basically if I were to get my license (and a gun) now, when I go to move out it would be an insane level of hassle, during which the local police department would likely confiscate any and all guns, ammo, etc. until the paperwork goes through. So I decided not to bother until A) I move out to a permanent residence of my own or B) I move to New Hampshire where gun laws actually make sense... :P

In the meantime, I've taken to getting into air rifles instead. Equally fun to their 'real' counterparts, they definitely have benefits. Can fire them off in my backyard without breaking any laws, much cheaper to maintain and stock. Much cheaper to purchase in the first place.

I have to say, that based on my mild e xp erience, when I finally do cross the bridge into actual guns, I'm leaning towards Walther. They are definitely the comfortable gun. The I have to admit I'm definitely picking up a 1911 Colt at some point. I don't think I can really say I lived if I don't. ;)

I'm surprised you can even own airsoft guns in Mass! :P I'm very close by and certainly know enough about those ridiculous laws/restrictions.

As far as brands go, Walther's certainly good. And I have a couple Springfield 1911s. And I have an H&K USP .45 and SIG 220 (you can tell I like .45s). I'm saving up some more cash lately and am really torn as always. Need I buy another katana or should I finally get that Ruger SR9 I've been looking at? Or if I do that, I might as well save up 1500 bucks and get my beloved Smith & Wesson 945 dual tone :| Life's full of important choices.

Coincidentally I'm also going shooting in a little while... woot!
-_-

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]B) I move to New Hampshire where gun laws actually make sense... :P

Live Free or Die! For those of you who may not know; that's New Hampshire's State motto. They also have no state income tax and recently sent a letter of decent to Washington proclaiming their states rights to succeed from the Union should federal government continue to force unconstitutional laws down our throats.

That motto is probably the only thing I like about this state.

Reporting back very disgruntled. Ammunition is sparse, my friends. Even more so than I had imagined. There sure is a frenzy due to you-know-what and their increasingly BS-tastic ways of circumventing the 2nd Amendment. People are seeing some of this crap coming, as apparently they're stockpiling. But really... the fact that people would even think of passing a law that requires serial numbers on AMMUNITION (thus raising prices even MORE) let alone propose the thing in the first place makes me sick. Don't they have enough to worry about right now? What about the economy and pirates? Give me a break. My hatred for mankind just stepped up another notch in the past two days.

Dear Big Brother: Stay the **** out of my hobbies.
Last edited by Sedhal on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
-_-

Return to “Other Discussions”