Olympic Gold

Congratulations team Canada!
Okay, you cunucks have to be happy beyond words as you won the gold in hockey (the sport you run in you're blood) while being the host nation to 2010 Winter Olympics.
Of course it didn't hurt to have Hockey Town coaches is your corner.
As a huge hockey fan I congratulate you again!
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Re: Olympic Gold

hahahah
Thanks as well! It was a great game. I mean, could you ask for a better circumstance? Canada vs. US. Gold Medal game. Last day of the Olympics. In North America. Tied, with less than 1min left. Overtime.... :)
It was pretty cool - i was at work when the game was on (hunting store). The last half of the 3rd period until the end of the game - the entire store froze - everyone was watching the tv's around the store - even the customers...lol.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Congratulations team Canada!
Okay, you cunucks have to be happy beyond words as you won the gold in hockey (the sport you run in you're blood) while being the host nation to 2010 Winter Olympics.
Of course it didn't hurt to have Hockey Town coaches is your corner.
As a huge hockey fan I congratulate you again![/quote]

Dude, it feels good good to know my beer drinking made a difference.

[quote=""Thorin""]Thanks! :) It was a good game right till the end and the US team us all on the edge of our seats.

I still think Crosby didn't really play as well in the Olympics, but I guess he pulled through in the end.[/quote]

Crosby came through in the end as the "Golden Boy". But, up until then...

[quote=""Jash""]hahahah
Thanks as well! It was a great game. I mean, could you ask for a better circumstance? Canada vs. US. Gold Medal game. Last day of the Olympics. In North America. Tied, with less than 1min left. Overtime.... :)
It was pretty cool - i was at work when the game was on (hunting store). The last half of the 3rd period until the end of the game - the entire store froze - everyone was watching the tv's around the store - even the customers...lol.[/quote]

A truely amazing sight, game, and e xp erience.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

Yes, congratulation to our Canadian team, and well done to the Americans for their effort and well deserved silver. While I'm not much of a sports fan, and had mixed feelings aboot the Olympics, I must say I've been pretty excited to watch all these events unfold in my home town. I was able see the torch run, and see the flame in a very crowded downtown. I hope we put on a good show for everyone!
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

What an amazing two weeks, capped off in the best way possible for our beautiful city and great nation. Yeah, I am laying it on a bit thick with the patriotic pride, but if not in moments like this, then when? :thumbs_up

Thranduil, you are gracious in defeat and a credit to your country. Thank you for the praise and for creating this thread. :)
This Space for Rent

I didn't watch any of it (don't care for sports, not even Olympics) but I do have one beef. They had just about every Canadian musician anyone ever heard of (and some that none had heard of) to perform at either the opening or closing ceremonies...except Rush!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Well it's nice to know that this thread was worth it, I wasn't sure if any one gave a hoot.
I'm happy for all of you, it was a great winter Olympics. :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Olorin""]I didn't watch any of it (don't care for sports, not even Olympics) but I do have one beef. They had just about every Canadian musician anyone ever heard of (and some that none had heard of) to perform at either the opening or closing ceremonies...except Rush![/quote]

Funny thing is, at one point I turned to my girlfriend and jokingly said: "Where is Canada's greatest band, Rush?" :|
This Space for Rent

Rush got signals and put on a train to Bangkok and promised they could play the Olympics in 2112.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Funny thing is, at one point I turned to my girlfriend and jokingly said: "Where is Canada's greatest band, Rush?" :| [/quote]

Canada has produced some supremely talented musicians, and certainly a program that features Neil Young and Sarah MacLachlan is nothing to sneeze at...and didn't kd lang perform at the opening? But seriously, ask most Americans to name a musician or group from Canada, and you'll get Rush, esp. if the person you ask is my age. Any sentence that includes the words "Canada" and "music" should almost always also include the word "Rush." :thumbs_up

I always liked another three man Canadian band as well, they would have been perfect considering you guys took the most Gold, TRIUMPH!

So Val, what was it like having the Olympics in your town/city. We've had the olympics many a time in the USA, but always very far from where I live. I've always wanted to attend an olympics, but I hear it can be pretty e xp ensive in tickets and stuff.

What was the pre-olympics hype like and all that stuff.

[quote=""Olorin""]I didn't watch any of it (don't care for sports, not even Olympics) but I do have one beef. They had just about every Canadian musician anyone ever heard of (and some that none had heard of) to perform at either the opening or closing ceremonies...except Rush![/quote]

What a way to end the Olympics... by parading Canada's worst musicians to the world. I know they have their fans, but honestly... that was probably the worst showing of Canadian talent (of course Neil Young and Sarah MacLachlan did a fantastic job), but the others... ugh. Avril? Hedly? SIMPLE PLAN!? Ugh.

I would have loved to have been in a big city after the game.. partying in the streets. Maybe next time. :coolsmile
Valar morghulis

BC, it really didn't begin to sink in until the last couple of weeks before the Olympics began. We all knew it was coming but the hype was actually kept down a bit, because as it is always the case, hosting the Olympics is a very divisive issue for people.

Things began to quietly go up, like the giant Olympic Rings near the airport, and construction of some of the venues, but it wasn't without problems, like the financial backer for the construction of the athletes village 'suddenly' going belly up and the city having to step in to cover the remaining cost (read: ta xp ayer money.) There were also other cost overruns, but amazingly enough, this whole two-week party (plus the Paralympics in a week from now,) still came in under budget, with the contingency untouched.

Then the Olympic torch arrived back in British Columbia after having gone through all of Canada, and the fever-pitch began to happen. The morning of the opening day, a host of celebrities and athletes ran the torch around the city, including Arnie the Terminator. I actually went to see the torch pass through, and it was something else. Once the games opened, the party was 100% on. I can't fully describe the controlled chaos that gripped the downtown core for two weeks solid, the hundreds of thousands of people, locals and tourists alike, that flooded the streets everyday. The events, free concerts, national and international pavillions, beerhouses, street entertainment, etc. Think of the best party possible, only stretched out over 20x20 city blocks. People were lining up as early as 6:30 AM to get into bars, pubs, pavillions, concert areas, game venues, you name it. Come 5 AM the next morning, there was still partying going on in the streets. Many of the main arteries of the downtown core were closed to traffic throughout, and it was pedestrian paradise, with tons of people carrying flags from all over the world. For Canada gear alone (shirts, jerseys, mittens, hoodies, etc,) the lineups were hours long (good thing I got my hockey jersey early,) and the final sales are reportedly at around $500 million, with over one million Visa transactions alone coming from cards issued outside of Canada.

I personally spent two entire days down there and saw only a fraction of everything there was to see, but just to highlight my e xp erience: saw the majestic Olympic Flame in its cauldron in Vancouver harbour, handled and took photos with the Olympic Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals (allowed for the first time ever for the public in Olympic history,) and attended one of the hockey games (Slovakia vs. Czech Republic.) On tv, everyday and every hour I could, I watched coverage of the games, and networks around the world are remarking on the outstanding viewership numbers that these games brought in. Just as an example, the final game between Canada and the USA drew in over 16 million viewers, the most ever for an event.

There were, of course issues: we had the warmest February on record ever, and snow had to be flown in to some of the venues as the rain and heat began to melt what was there. The games began on a tragic note with the unfortunate accident that claimed the life of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, and there were anti-Olympic prostesters that attempted to disrupt the torch relay and the opening ceremonies.

Yet, as the days wore on and Canada suddenly took off on the medals, the party just got louder, crazier, and more patriotic. Working in a bar, I can only tell you how insane things got when we won, and how much cheering there was even when another country took the podium. Then came the perfect ending, with that heart-stopping overtime win for Canada over the USA in hockey, which is our dearest sport, and the only gold medal that mattered to most that we win. As our third time hosting the Olympics, Canada had never before won gold on home soil, but when Alexandre Bilodeau won first gold in Men's Freestyle, the floodgates opened. In the end, we won the most gold medals of the games, the most gold medals ever by a host country, and the most gold medals ever won by a country at the Winter Games. It was a fairytale ending that completely surpassed our e xp ectations, and even some of the naysayers got caught up in the great feeling that these games brought to us as a city, and as a nation.

And now it has ended. I look back with a great sense of pride and joy, and more than a little sadness that it is over, but happy that we hosted the world, and that everyone that I met and read about from a foreign country that was here was more than happy to e xp ress how kind, polite, and friendly we had been as hosts, how much they loved being here, and how much fun they had.

Sochi, we pass the torch to you. See you in 2014. :)
Last edited by Valkrist on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
This Space for Rent

It sounds like an e xp erience that needs to be e xp erienced in real life. I have thought about traveling to see the Olympics, I even thought about going to London for the Summer 2012 Olympics (but they got rid of softball, one of my favorite Summer Olympic sports).

I wish Houston or Dallas could get the Olympics, because those would be tremendously easy to travel to, for me, well for me now, who knows where I may be when some of these future Olympics that dont have a host are decided.

But you description Val, makes me yearn to e xp erience all that.

You mentioned protesters, but how were relations between people from different countries, is it like a friendly rivalry, camaraderie because its the olympics, etc?

If you ever find yourself in a position to possibly attend an event like this, I would say not to hesitate, and to go for it. It truly is an e xp erience of a lifetime, one that may never come around again, so why deny yourself that chance?

As for what it was like between the different nationalities mingling, all I can say is that it was the best representation of the Olympic spirit. Rivalries were of the friendliest kind possible, and everyone just seemed to revel in the international atmosphere. The protests were affairs only by locals in dealing with social issues, nothing on an international level. Lastly, yes... camaraderie is a fitting word to describe what went on, because whether you wore a maple leaf painted on your face, a stars-and-stripes jacket, or a cap with a german eagle on it, everyone felt included, respected, and well-treated by everyone else.

Take this one example: after the Canada hockey victory, a US fan wearing the American flag and leaving the stadium was almost afraid to step out onto the packed streets for fear of scorn and boos from local fans. To his astoundment, he was greeted with hugs, high-fives, and congratulations for a game well played. Would the reaction have been the same had the US won? Take it from this one local fan, that yes, it sure as hell would have been. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Val, what a great description. I'm glad it worked out so well. I'm truly amazed Canada had never won gold at home before, but it sounds like you made up for it!

Chicago was in the running for the 2012 summer olympics but lost out to Rio. As you alluded, there are always cost overruns and une xp ected costs, etc., so I was relieved when (corrupt) Chicago did not get it. The entire state, indeed the entire country would have been leached of tax money to pay for it (even though we're all currently terribly broke).

Val, I'm extremely jealous. I love the Winter Olympics. You know, you oughta publish that description, maybe write a book o poems about Vancouver 2010 :thumbs_up

As for Canadian Bands, they should've gone with Great Big Sea, lol
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Return to “Other Discussions”