Re: Pressured into Buying a Sword...

Well, it's a different game now...

June 14th:
Late afternoon - Mr. UPS arrives with my sword... Being "non-refundable and non-returnable" i knew having UPS send it back would just make matters worse for my side. So i opened it and took a look. It is a nice sword, and Christopher Lambert's signature is visible on the blade, with a nice Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Highlander Producer Peter Davis. But, 3 issues:

1) The signature is "wet ink signed" on the metal blade with no type of sealant..so it was already slightly worn...

2) I only had Mr. Lambert's signature, when they promised me that as well as a line of my choice....which was, of course, not there.

3) Remember those missing documents, poster, dvd, and COA from that sword i ordered back in early Dec during my 3rd order with this company? You guessed it....not in the box, even after they promised me on multiple occasions they would "take care of it".

June 15th (today):
So, trying to be responsible, the first thing i did was call the company to ask them about the 3 points above... They took my name and number and said they'll call be back (it's now been 4hrs...). Well, still being the responsible individual that i am, i then called Visa to give them an update:
---> Of course, due to the fact that i have my product, they will take back the $1200usd. However, they have my letter and 4 page case summary that they are still going to review. They changed the status from "unreceived goods" to "product not as identified" for now...and shall call me in a day or two for more details.

On a side note - does anyone have any ideas on how to permanently seal the signature onto the blade? If it gets wiped off...the $1200 Christopher Lambert signed katana will then only be a $200 United Cutlery Connor katana..lol.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Wow...been a while...lol. So, back to business:

June 16/17th:
I received calls from both a senior at VISA Claims Department as well as the Customer Service Manager from this sword company - the result was that i was to send the sword BACK to the company with a letter stating the 3 issues. I was to get a newly signed, "corrected" sword "very soon". I also emailed the Customer Serivce manager attaching a copy of the letter as well as the receipt/tracking number on the shipping box (i was to be reimbursed), with a few followup questions. And lastly, as per VISA, i faxed a copy of all these documents to VISA as well. This was all sent out June 18th - the sword was both insured and tracked.

2 Side notes:
1) I let both parties know i would be out of Canada from June 25th to July 20th - i would be unable to sign for any deliveries.
2) The "wet-ink" is actually supposed to be permanent - the problem was they forgot to wipe the oil off the blade before signing...*sigh

July 22nd:
Back home, no sign of either an attempted delivery or a letter with my shipping refund (nor any email from the sword company). I emailed them asking for an update - the reply was, and i quote, "Did you email me the receipt of return shipping?".

July 23rd:
I replied, quite bluntly, and reattached the letter and receipt. I also RESENT the original email from over a month ago...

Aug 2nd (Today):
Still no reply...going to call VISA and send the sword company another email today or tomorrow.

And so the story continues....lol

Aug 3rd/4th:
Called VISA to update them on the situation. Guess what? They closed the case! The $1200usd credit is staying in my account! IT'S OVER!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

5 months of arguing a "forced sale" finally paid off. They still have not reimbursed my $50-ish insured shipping...but, at this point, that's an acceptable loss if it means i NEVER have to deal with this company again!

Now - ready to file a complaint with BBB...

From the moment you posted this thread I thought, "Oh boy this is going to be a nightmare", and I honestly thought it may go the wrong way for you Jash.
Praise God dude! Congrats! :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Well - for a while, I also thought things would not work out in my favor. But, I guess Visa just got as frustrated as I was....lol.

I would like to thank everyone who has been reading this problem from the start. I appreciate all the advice, and just letting me vent my frustration and anger. UCF is by far the friendliest forum I am a member of, and that was proven when posted this thread on multiple forums. I am glad to have met you individuals. :)

[quote=""Jash""]Well - for a while, I also thought things would not work out in my favor. But, I guess Visa just got as frustrated as I was....lol.

I would like to thank everyone who has been reading this problem from the start. I appreciate all the advice, and just letting me vent my frustration and anger. UCF is by far the friendliest forum I am a member of, and that was proven when posted this thread on multiple forums. I am glad to have met you individuals. :) [/quote]
Yeah, I agree Jash; it's a good forum with good members who care enough to show some respect for others.
Lets hope we don't get a troll because we said these things! LOL. :coolsmile
We have good moderators! :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Congrats, Jash. I've been following this story. It's been like the UC Forum's own little soap opera. I can't stand rip-off retailers with high-pressure sales people. Especially online, because they know they never have to look you in the face. They can steal your money and lurk away unseen in the shadows. I'm glad you prevailed. It's nice to see some justice in the world of crooked retail. Those are probably guys who couldn't cut it selling used cars. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Steel Servant on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

Aug 12th:
lol - speaking of "lurking", I think LH even has UPS on their side now. Today i received an e xp ected delivery from Amazon (2 sword books...lol). But the UPS man said "Ok, that will be $280 for tax and brokerage". I was confused. Then i saw a long sword-looking box next to him... Easy - I took the Amazon box, and refused the other one... as per Visa's instructions!

So today I was doing some work on BBB - just reading their website getting some background info on them, as well as getting my own paperwork and timelines ready to submit to the BBB. And guess what???

LH is ALREADY on the BBB website!!! Now, as though that was bad enough - here are some stats:
- LH currently has a BBB rating/grade of "C-"
- LH currently has 8 complaints against them (2 of which are still unresolved)
- I will be #3 of this year, with 4 last year, and 2 the year before
- There is only ONE "collectibles" company on the BBB data base (in comparative size) that has MORE than 5 complaints in the past 3 years (keep in mind that BBB usually only holds records for 3 years...) ... guess who???

[quote=""Jash""]Aug 12th:
Today i received an e xp ected delivery from Amazon (2 sword books...lol). But the UPS man said "Ok, that will be $280 for tax and brokerage". I was confused. Then i saw a long sword-looking box next to him... Easy - I took the Amazon box, and refused the other one... as per Visa's instructions!

- There is only ONE "collectibles" company on the BBB data base (in comparative size) that has MORE than 5 complaints in the past 3 years (keep in mind that BBB usually only holds records for 3 years...) ... guess who???[/quote]

Now I'm confused....LH wanted $280 for the 2 books? Or did they want it for the sword? I mean, you already paid $1200 for the sword.

So were they trying to double charge you? What scum. :angry:

OK, tell us who rates lower than LH ...use initials if you have to... we is a brainy group here and can finger it out.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Now I'm confused....LH wanted $280 for the 2 books? Or did they want it for the sword? I mean, you already paid $1200 for the sword.

So were they trying to double charge you? What scum. :angry: [/quote]

The books were coming from Amazon and he was e xp ecting them. Sounds like an unrelated order. The $280 being asked for was tax and brokerage for the sword that was also being delivered from LH, but Visa had instructed him not to accept the delivery.

You see, once you accept a delivery, sign and pay for it, you are essentially acknowledging that you purchased and wanted that item. That makes it a lot harder for Visa to contest the transaction.
This Space for Rent

lol - nah, I'm in the bad. Some things during this entire incident were, and stil are, quite complicated. My bad for not being able to relay the information properly.
In my defence - most of my posts are between 2 and 4am! (Except this one...now i'm just procrastinating... :) )

[quote=""Darlak""]The one thing that's been keeping me thinking Jash, why on earth did you give in?[/quote]
Well Darlak - if i could go back, i would have just hung up after they said "it's too late" - and thus make it easier for VISA to settle on my side. But, unfortunately, i did not. The reason i "gave in" is due to a few factors. They already asked me for my VISA information BEFORE (different lady, also long conversation, different reason) sending me to the lady that caused all the problems. I thought the VISA was needed to confirm my previous order, and so they could also ship to me the missing items from that last order. After spending well over 1 hour arguing - half of it occurred after she said it was "too late", i was running out of ideas as to what to do. They were not taking my "no", they were not letting me talk to their manager/VP, they kept on saying that the order already went through, which was non-refundable and non-returnable. At that point, i thought that if i were to hang up - she'd still bill my VISA (they had the info and put the order through already), so it was pointless. Hang up or not - the VISA would be charged. If i 'gave in', i could end the conversation, and try to find a way to fix it afterwards. I hope that makes sense...

Aug 18th:
Sooooo, finally finished the online complaint with BBB today. A lot longer and more in depth than i e xp ected. Unfortunately their "summary of problem" box had a limit and couldn't hand all of the issues since Dec '09. But i tried. Here is what i wrote for "e xp ected outcome of the complaint":

" [font=&quot](1) For the "Methos Signed Sword" from Dec '09. I would like to receive my additional products that were to be included with the sword: signed COA, dvds, and poster. (2) For the "Signed Connor Katana" from Mar ‘10 - there is no settlement required. As it took me 5 months for VISA to settle in my favor, i have no need to dispute this. I would like the company to stop harassing me. This information is for BBB usage! (3) I have a full timeline & email history from Dec '09 if needed."

Does that sound reasonable?
They will be getting back to me in a few days... The "timeline" is a SUMMARY of what's on UCF...and THAT is 8 pages long! The "email history" is another 4 pages! I wonder if they normally get complaints that have 8 months worth of content...lol
[/font]

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I dunno, Jash- wouldn't say you gave in at all. To me, giving in would've been letting the company step all over you and just not do anything about it. You put a lot of hard work into fighting back, and it paid off.[/quote]
Thanks Jamanticus! I guess that's another way to look at it. And now that I look back, the hassle, stress, and frustration of the entire situation is almost as bad as the money itself..lol

So for those still following...lol:

BBB Update:
The BBB contacts a company twice asking for their reply to my complaint. I am no longer in Canada..but LH have my email address. I am not sure if LH tried to call my home or cell numbers, but if they did, they left no messages according to my family. BBB sent the 2nd request early last week - and LH finally got back to them Monday morning.

Here's their reply:
- They will send me my signed COA for that sword bought in Dec.
- They will put me on their DO NOT CONTACT LIST :) :) :)
- But they have no proof that i purchased the "dvds and poster" for my Methos sword from back in Dec 2009, hence my complaint "is not justified"...lol.

Sooooo
I replied to BBB declining the attempt - stating that it was not satisfactory. I sent them a link to the webpage that says the sword "includes a COA, dvds, and full poster"... I don't know. I am completely happy that i am on the "do not call list", i guess now it's just payback time? hahah

[quote=""Jash""]So for those still following...lol:

BBB Update:
The BBB contacts a company twice asking for their reply to my complaint. I am no longer in Canada..but LH have my email address. I am not sure if LH tried to call my home or cell numbers, but if they did, they left no messages according to my family. BBB sent the 2nd request early last week - and LH finally got back to them Monday morning.

Here's their reply:
- They will send me my signed COA for that sword bought in Dec.
- They will put me on their DO NOT CONTACT LIST :) :) :)
- But they have no proof that i purchased the "dvds and poster" for my Methos sword from back in Dec 2009, hence my complaint "is not justified"...lol.

Sooooo
I replied to BBB declining the attempt - stating that it was not satisfactory. I sent them a link to the webpage that says the sword "includes a COA, dvds, and full poster"... I don't know. I am completely happy that i am on the "do not call list", i guess now it's just payback time? hahah[/quote]
I'd say this thread is payback enough Jash. I checked the views and there are 1775; 70 of which are replies, so I doubt all those views are just forum members.
Now consider how bad news travels fast. I'm sure there's another 17750 posts elsewhere for people to consider.
Word will continue to get out; lets face it, ya reap what ya sow, and you've done everyone a favor bringing this company's rotten business practices out in the light. :thumbs_up

That's a very good point Thranduil. For the record, my intent is not to say "don't buy from this company", but just to give fellow collectors the 'heads up' on my e xp erience with this certain company; as well as providing aid as to how to go about a similar situation in the future if anyone does get into a similar 'sticky position'...lol.

After i get the final word on the "included DVD and poster"...them i'm done...for 2 reasons. I don't think BBB can do anything if the company says 'no'; and, i just want to move on.

Still - i want what i payed for :)

...and today i just received a final notice from BBB. LH sent them a letter to forward to me, which basically claims that they:

['still have no record of me ordering or paying for the DVD and poster, thus there is no valid recourse for this complaint'] and the BBB basically called it quits and closed my complaint.

So - it's over.

At the end of it all...

1) I received my $1200us back from VISA.
2) I am on LH's "do not contact" list
3) The issue from my order back in early December 2009 (the one that started this entire 'situation') is still unresolved to my satisfaction.
4) It was a long process, lots of hard work...but, in the end, i did not let them get away with my money...and only suffered a loss of a "free DVD and poster"...lol.

Thanks everyone for reading and aiding me in this...over the last 7ish months! :)

Hey am!
Well - i guess in one way you are correct - we're both on their "do not contact" list now ;) I think the only real difference is, they still have me on file - but are not supposed to call me for any promotions or for sales of any sort. I think. I hope they just throw my file and contact information away...as if I never ordered from them in the first place! lol

Return to “Other Discussions”