Re: *crys, faints, dies*

I guess I'm not too surprised.

Shall we take a guess or three as to why this person is selling it?

1) He suddenly needed the money (back).

2) "Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting."

3) He knew all along that he would buy it only to sell it for, what, twice what he paid for it? Or maybe even three times what he paid for it?

"Collecting" must be a business for this person, because it certainly isn't a passion.
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Great Scott, that's absolutely crazy...

E xp ensive price, too. Although I guess you can charge what you want when there are only 10 in the world. Still...

Isn't...Isn't that odd, now...*gets mind-controlled by Anduril's beauty*

No, no! Must...Save for Glamdring.....!

Well, I hope it goes to a loving home, whatever happens, whatever the seller's reason for selling it.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

It was really only a matter of time before this happened and I am sure that we will see one or two more of these swords pop ip on eBay sooner rather than later. This is a super e xp ensive collectors item and perhaps the guy realized that he didn't have the cash or perhaps he just wants to turn a profit on it. Both cases are sad but hopefully it will go to a home this time where it can be appreciated.

When it comes to the boxes that they pit these swords in they could have come up with something a little better. The thing looks like a coffin. The display for the MC glamdring is soo much nicer than this.

Only 4 people purchases the scabbard And belt for thus sword when they purchased it. I wonder if this is one of those ones that has it and if it is included in this sale.

I'm gonna save for glamdring and stin and wait this one out. I'm sure another will turn up.
Last edited by dpegasusm on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry for the double post but i contacted to guy selling the sword and have some new developments regarding it. It is #6 out of the 10 which if my memory serves me correctly was one of the last Strider Swords that was not claimed by a buyer of the entire set. He also did not get the scabbard and belt to go with it. the impression that i got was that he realized he had just spent way too much money on a sword and was trying to offload and turn a small profit at the same time.

[quote=""dpegasusm""]*emails weta* lets see what they say

i would thing that you could get second refusal rights because the person who purchased the MC strider #6 may have first.....[/quote]

Let me know what Weta says. They were vague with me when I asked them a few weeks ago.

No response from weta yet bit the seller wrote back ro me with a full reason.

"i know, it hurts. but i had and i have lots of e xp enses, and now taxes to
pay. and i don't want to mess with taxes."

I'll let you guys know what weta says. If you get refusal rights you might be able to buy it even if you don't want it, get the glamdring and sting and then sell it for a tidy profit to help recoupe your costs. Hmmmmmmm sounds like a plan....

Fair enough on what the seller said; sucks when life catches up to you like that.

Still, this sword has not been available for that long, and you should be aware of your ongoing e xp enses and that tax time was coming up. I think we have a prime example of short-sightedness coupled with impulse buying here. I would never sink so much money into a purchase like this without having a backup plan if money runs short, and that plan wouldn't include reselling the sword. You can't foresee what life will throw at you, but this is a major investment: you should plan accordingly.
This Space for Rent

If I may be so rude as to inquire: how much did the Peter Lyon Anduril originally sell for in US dollar$ ?
I mean when Weta first posted it what was the asking price, without the scabbard or any other extras.

I did a currency conversion from US$ to NZ$ and $8K US = 11,000+ in NZ$

Just curious.

[Cynic: "a person who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."]

Memory's totally gone fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall the price being around the $6k range (US?). If that's the case, then this guy is really hoping for a profit and if not, then I stand corrected. I wish Moonglum or Ed would step in here to set the matter straight.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Memory's totally gone fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall the price being around the $6k range (US?). If that's the case, then this guy is really hoping for a profit and if not, then I stand corrected. I wish Moonglum or Ed would step in here to set the matter straight.[/quote]

You're right, Weta charged around $10,000 NZD, which is around $7000 USD by today's conversion rate for Anduril (although back when it was being sold, the US dollar was a bit stronger, so I'm pretty sure that it'd have been closer to $6,000 US back then)

Guy's looking to make a profit :'(
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You know, I think the guy is going to make a killing, and this is why:

There were probably a lot of people, very well heeled people, who would have jumped at the chance to purchase Anduril, and didn't get to purely for reasons of timing.
Either they heard about the offering too late, or they simply got beat out by the moonglums and eds.

So now you've got someone who , for whatever reason, is selling one.

And one of those high rollers is going to buy it, with price absolutely no object. He (or she?) will bid an astronomical amount just to ensure that they have the winning bid.

These are people who own their own jets, Ferraris, yachts.
What's 20K, 50K or even 100K for a sword of which there are only 10 in the whole world? Chump change.

As always, thanks for sharing your insight on this issue with us, Ed, as you are one of only two people here that are uniquely positioned to give us an informed opinion on what you have to go through to own one of these things (unless you are a millionaire to begin with, of course.) :)
This Space for Rent

Amazing.

Not.....one.....bid.....

(Seems my crystal ball was a bit cloudy that day.)

Wealthy people, extremely wealthy people, are maddening.
They can have anything they want, anything. If money can buy it, they can have it.

When the original Hummers were first made available to the public -- not the H2 or H3, but the original Army vehicles-- I read that Ah-nold had three of them....3 Hummers.
What in the sam hill do you do with 3 Hummers?

They spend tons of money on planes, cars, boats, 5 houses and oh yeah, clothes, jewelry, botox implants, $1000 haircuts and hair transplants.

A Peter Lyon Anduril -- theirs for the taking, even if they bought it only so they could say they have something of which there are only 10 in the world--- and ....nothing.

Rich people have screwed up priorities.

While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, what's a priority in life if not to live it how we want? If they can afford it and they want it, whatever... might be weird to us, but others out there certainly think collecting swords is weird (and a screwed up priority). I do think having three Hummers is odd, myself, but I also acknowledge that people might ask me what I need one sword for, let alone 30. Well, I don't need them. I want them. And having what I want is my number one priority in life. :)
-_-

Return to “Other Discussions”