Thranduil's Artworks

Okay, so Sed suggested I post some of my artwork and that's what I'll do.

However, due to the fact his single http/www. shows so many awesome pieces of art....................

I need to spread mine out

for a long, long, long time, so I don't look like I'm slacking. :coolsmile

Remember I'm a detail guy and that kinda floats my boat.

Also, I'm an anatomy lover,,,,,,,

Label me as you will.

She's tall and slender and has legs and a$$ to knock your socks off; not much on the big OOPS! But I really love peaches and they shake my tree!

And then there's the magic of muscle.........which makes anatomy my passion.

Did I mention pencil?

Here's my "Bashful Angel".
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Re: Thranduil's Artworks

Whoa, Thranduil- how did you get an angel to pose for you on a cloud while you snapped a black and white photo? :D

Seriously a brilliant piece. Absolutely everything in that work is filled with distinction and beauty.

And this angel's actually got wing muscles! Don't see that every day.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Thanks Jaman.
Yeah, I think I might be the first to show how the wing is anatomically attached to the body- most angels I've seen show forward views with the wings just kinda there behind them.
Obviously (unlike Sed) I do use reference photos almost all the time, but there are exceptions and then it shows a lot;
like this piece titled Balin's Tomb (based on book- not films).
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Darlak""]Woah, that looks amazing Thranduil. One thign that made me laugh pretty hard though, the guy in the back (aragorn or boromir?) looks exactly like Brian May of queen:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/12151/Brian+May.jpg

=P[/quote]
Well Darlak it's not that guy but most of the characters do have real people I chose to use as "impressions". Yes, Aragorn is in back his likeness is that of the owner of a restaurant I regularly went to, and the rest are also regulars and or frequently around. Frodo is a guy I went to high school with though based on his appearance 26 years later, Gimli is a guy who was called Chili and yes his beard was that long, Legolas was a cook that worked there, etc.

Thanks Steel and Jaman it is always good to hear positive feed back especially the Medieval feel comment which I never considered until you said so.

I've got another LOTR to show that's not quite done (got sidetracked by life) and I need to dig it out and shoot a photo of it so I can post it.

In the mean time I keep this in the fantasy realm and post this one titled "Black Dragon" which, believe it or not, began as doodle while engaged in a long phone conversation.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh one thing Thrand, I didn't mean to offend you, he just had a striking similarity =P
It does look great, its style kinda reminds of of 80's D&D artwork, and that's a compliment, I love artwork in that style.

And I really like the dragon. Although its general shape looks slightly off. For example, the beak, or what you would call it seems a little small. Guess it's all down to preferences though, as it is afterall fantasy =P. I especially like the eyes, gives it that beastly yet intelligent feel. Most dragons look either beastly or intelligent. Also like its beard-ish stuff.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Thanks again guys.
I'm gonna switch gears here and post some commissioned portraits.
These are photos of prints I had made from the originals before I delivered them with the exception of the first which is the original next to the photo I worked from.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Sedhal""]The background in that last one is what I love to see ;) I used to draw my trees leaf-by-leaf and I'd have people laugh at me - "haha, that's going to take forever, what are you insane?"

...yes.[/quote]
YES,
I've done backgrounds that took longer than person in several drawings, and it does bring about moments when you wonder if you do indeed need a reality check, saying; "Why the hell are you doing this :| "

Then there's just going nuts with detail. I look at your pieces and I'm reminded why working on 9 X 12 paper is a bit more sane than 14 X 17 and especially 18 X 24. I've got to dig out that other LOTR drawing, the insanity of that piece is in the black riders.

For me artwork is a hobby I dabble in from time to time in my life. It certainly isn't where my talents are at there best, I'm better at sculpture and creating three dimensional work, thus I built my business in designing and building the things people want, sort of a collision of all the best.

Picking someone's brain until a drawing says to that person, "Yes, that it!"
Once the drawings done it's all I need to go to work and turn it into a reality.

This is one of my favorite examples of that:
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thranduil, Two questions for you

1) What kind of wood did you use for that Queen Ann console (or is it a sideboard? .... or something else?)

2) Did you carve/sculpt the feet?

Very very nice. And I'm not even partial to the QA style.

Third question (I lied about only having 2 Qs) ...Have you ever made anything in the Chippendale style?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Thranduil, Two questions for you

1) What kind of wood did you use for that Queen Ann console (or is it a sideboard? .... or something else?)

2) Did you carve/sculpt the feet?

Very very nice. And I'm not even partial to the QA style.

Third question (I lied about only having 2 Qs) ...Have you ever made anything in the Chippendale style?[/quote]
Nope haven't done any Chippendale yet.
Yes I sculpted the legs and feet.
It's Mahogany and African Rosewood panels. (Unfortunately she didn't listen to me about staining it- I told her not to).

[quote=""Jamanticus""]That is brilliant, Thranduil! As someone who hasn't ever done anything in sculpting, I'm wondering... how you create 3-dimensional features with such symmetry?[/quote]
You know what Jam? I'm aware that in this day and age it's hard for many to believe in God, but I have to be honest; I don't have any training. I took basic art in high school, never took a drafting or drawing class. Yes, I took sculpting but that was a trimester; for me it all just comes out.
I have plenty of reasons to believe in God, and one is what many call God given talent.
The symmetry was achieved by putting the first leg next to the other and trying to make them look the same (but in mirror image from right to left).
I've got more than just artworks to share with you guys (and gals).

[quote=""Thranduil""]YES,
I've done backgrounds that took longer than person in several drawings, and it does bring about moments when you wonder if you do indeed need a reality check, saying; "Why the hell are you doing this :| "

Then there's just going nuts with detail. I look at your pieces and I'm reminded why working on 9 X 12 paper is a bit more sane than 14 X 17 and especially 18 X 24. I've got to dig out that other LOTR drawing, the insanity of that piece is in the black riders.

[/quote]
Okay, so I dug out that unfinished LOTR drawing I mentioned here. I'm posting three pics;
1- Overall
2- Detail of black riders
3- Size comparison

Again, this is based on the book, not the films. Specifically "Flight to the Ford", which is the title of the piece. (Last two pages of the chapters descriptions).

2&3 in one here:
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

It occurred to me when I decided to post this new entry, that the first decade of the 21st century is coming to a close. Talk about time flies.

Anyway, nine years ago I did this September 11, 2001 commemorative artwork. It is intentionally surreal for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wait... someone who actually knows you don't start a count at zero??! I thought everyone had already accepted 2010 was the start of the new decade already. :P (Like the year 2000 being the millennium :huh: ) But I guess it's easer to say 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc than 61-70, 71-80, 81-90, and 91-2000. Easier, but not correct.

Yeah, Thranduil... coming from someone who completed middle school, high school, and college within the past ten years, I totally share the 'time flies' feeling right now. It really boggles my mind sometimes (pretty much whenever I think back to a point in life and realize how long ago that was). And it's only getting worse. :)

Great piece, though I think I've told you before. I also like the American flag/stars/clouds/smoke idea. Nice touch.
-_-

Thanks Sed.

Yeah, for me it's; 1-10, 11-20, 21-30,etc. And now it's occurred to me that the BIG FIVE O-MG! is six months away. Oh well, it's just a number, (at least my body doesn't know it, sshhh!)

[quote=""Darlak""]Does it matter? =P[/quote]
Does what matter? If you're referring to counting, then yes, it matters.

I need to chill after my Indy 5 rant.
How about some Halloween costumes?
Alien;

Velociraptor;

The Mask;
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

I already posted my Alien costume in the Alien Thread.

You matter.
I sometimes wonder if you understand that.
Your remarks sound defeating, like nothing matters.
You matter, you're important, and you have purpose.
It does matter, what you say matters, if it didn't I wouldn't have asked what you meant.

So it's summer when many pull out their rides.
Mine is still back in Michigan waiting for me to come and get it.
The interior is here where I'm reupholstering it. Gonna repaint it b4 I bring it back (bone white), but here it is in it's Porche red state.

And no, it's not a Monte Carlo, it's a (was) Grand Prix.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Darlak""]Ah, that damned nice car of yours =P[/quote]
AKA, hand crafted dream of a ball and chain! :coolsmile
Can't just let it go without throwing away some life, SOOO, I guess I get it where it needs to be. :thumbs_up

Well I got my Feanor to a postable state, but it still needs a lot of work.
I'll be updating it as I get improvements done.
This is my first CG artwork photoshopped into a real background photo.
Lets try this;(My first attempt at URL in a post)

Well that worked just fine! :thumbs_up
Yeah! I'm actually learning :)
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Here's the vault I did for the same guy I did that staircase for;

And here the Faberge egg I made for the vault;

Return to “Other Discussions”