Happy Fourth !!!!!

:big_wave: :cheering: Happy Fourth of July to all Yanks everywhere!!!!....Yes even in Florida and the Lone Star State. :cheering: :big_wave:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Happy Fourth !!!!!

[quote=""Olorin""]After a week of mild and not-at-all humid weather, suddenly it is hot and humid here...so I know it really is the 4th of July![/quote]

I'm originally from Misery (St.Louis) so I know what humidity is as well.

But now I live in the dry, dry SW and 80% RH is just a distant memory. ;)

[quote=""Deimos""]I'm originally from Misery (St.Louis) so I know what humidity is as well.

But now I live in the dry, dry SW and 80% RH is just a distant memory. ;) [/quote]

When I was in grad school at Mizzou in Columbia, MO, my heat-intolerant friends from Chicago came for a visit one weekend. One of them coined the pronunciation "Misery" for "Missouri." It was funny, but there's really not more than a few degrees difference in temperature, or percent in humidity, between Missouri and Champaign, IL, where we all had gone to school previously.

But yeah, growing up in the general vicinity of St. Louis myself, one thing that comes to mind when I think of summer is humidity, and lots of it.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]When I was in grad school at Mizzou in Columbia, MO, my heat-intolerant friends from Chicago came for a visit one weekend. One of them coined the pronunciation "Misery" for "Missouri." It was funny, but there's really not more than a few degrees difference in temperature, or percent in humidity, between Missouri and Champaign, IL, where we all had gone to school previously.

But yeah, growing up in the general vicinity of St. Louis myself, one thing that comes to mind when I think of summer is humidity, and lots of it.[/quote]

"Heat intolerant friends from Chicago"????? :huh:
Your friends, my friend, were either pulling your leg, or they were completely oblivious to their environment.
I lived in Chicago for almost 18 months, and both heat and the humidity were, shall we say, memorable. But it being the 4th and all, I'll let them slide....

And with a tip of the tricorn to Woody Guthrie:

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me.
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

And another tip of the hat to John Mellencamp:

Oh, but ain't that America
For you and me
Ain't that America
Something to see, baby
Ain't that America
Home of the free, yeah
Little pink houses
For you and me
Oooh, yeah
For you and me

I stayed inside most of the day, except for a walk around 2 and then going out for fireworks about 8:30. By the time I went out to see the fireworks, it had cooled off considerably and the humidity had dropped, but I walked about a mile to and from the place where I was going to watch from, so I still got sweated up a bit. Since I sprayed down with bug spray, I was going to take a shower before bed anyway, so I guess it wasn't a big deal to get heated up a bit. And there was a pretty good breeze.

Biggest annoyance, my neighborhood has become teenager central over the past couple of years, and a bunch of them were standing out in the street beside my house last night setting off firecrackers for what seemed like hours. I finally went to sleep around midnight. Oh well, I guess 4th of July only comes once a year....

Prior to the evening's festivities, I had a friend over for a 4th of July feast: BBQ, corn on the cob, potato salad, pasta salad, green salad, fruit salad, and peanut butter brownies. I'll be having leftovers for lunch today...mmmmmm!

All in all, a good 4th, and because it fell on Sunday, I get today off, which is great. Nothing like a 3 day weekend!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well I don't know about you guys, but I celebrated the best way an American can. I sat in 90 degree heat to watch a Tigers baseball game! Burned myself, went home to swim and eat bbq and watched people blow stuff up :thumbs_up [/quote]

Fin, you being from Michigan and all, and watching Tigers game, so it was a home game, right? I mean, you said you went home and swam afterwards.

So when did you see the fireworks show in Boston Harbor that you mentioned in the Chat Box? Or was it televised?
Since I'm not a big TV watcher (like maybe 4 times a year: Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, BCS Champ bowl and NCAA BB Champ game) I don't know what 4th of July events are televised.

Down here in southeast texas we hover around the mythical 100% humidity pretty constantly... makes it feel like you are walking through water. I spent most of the day inside as well, we ate crawfish... the crawfish season doesnt usually last this late into the summer, but it took a long time this year to heat up and rain and get the season started.

I never did say how I spent the 4th , did I? (And I was the one who started the thread!)

Well, let' s see...it was about 104 and 30% RH. (We are coming into our summer "Rainy season" , otherwise the RH would have been about 15% )

Messed around the house and yard most of the day with Sousa marches and other patriotic type music playing in the background.
Had BBq and then sat on my front porch with a beer and watched fireworks put on by some civic group not 2 miles from my house...Not quite a Boston Harbor show, but I didn't have to drive anywhere.

This 4th was the nation's 234th birthday. The 250th ought to be really spectacular. Just 16 more years. I e xp ect to be around for it. :)

Return to “Other Discussions”