Re: Need some help here, guys...

[quote=""GuardianWolf""] Thank you for anyone who does this!!! It's most appreciated.[/quote]

Done! [ASU '96] :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well GW, I can't take this survey cuz I didn't do college, but in your OP you mentioned the class is about research so I'm putting in my two cents here.

I had the opportunity to go to college with partial scholarship and all, but when I asked about my future prospective jobs and what they would pay when I graduated, I was told the IF I graduated in the top 10 of my class, I could e xp ect to make about $35-$40k per year to start.

So I said to myself, "Why spend $45-$48K for an education to make that kind of money when I can earn while I learn a skilled trade instead." So that's what I did. I earned about $100K over five years to make $35K per year. Then I earned another $175K to earn $50k per year.

Then Cad/Cam technology made my trade obsolete! LOL :| So I started my own business.

I've never really earned a lot of money throughout my life, but I don't look back with regret because I've had a ton of wonderful opportunities to do things for others that remain within their homes and are cherished by their owners.

Had I gone to college I would have a degree in industrial design. Probably would have applied it to the auto industry (as I grew up with that all my life). I was way too much the rebel when younger. I had a, "screw waiting to do what I want", I'll do it now. So I pissed away my money in projects like this:

No regrets! :)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

No worries, Thran. I'm one of the few people you'll meet who will argue that a college education is NOT a necessary thing in this world. People in trades make a hell of a lot more than most college graduates, are always in demand, and because of that are essentially recession proof. Just because you're low on cash doesn't mean you're not going to call a plumber for a broken toilet, or an electrician for faulty wiring. And they're going to make more an hour than I probably ever will... :P

Did you go to any trade school? Because that's just as useful to my research! I say college, but any sort of higher education is applicable to what I'm looking for.
Last edited by GuardianWolf on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

I agree. I wasted four years of my life and am still wasting plenty of money paying for wasted time while I waste additional time trying to earn it as well as play catch up...

I have a paper with a degree on it. Big deal. It doesn't make my art any better, it doesn't make my writing any better, and it won't make me a better filmmaker. But what would have helped make all of the above better is time and money that I threw away on that trivial piece of paper.

I just don't believe in degrees for the arts or anything. Really sucks that I had to do all this to find out... oh wait, it was actually so my parents could find out. :P

But if someone's going to be a doctor or something, yeah... please attend college and pay attention.
-_-

Thrandy,

You don't know how much I admire you. Of all the craftsmen's trades one could learn, cabinetmaker has my heart.

To be able to turn raw wood into such beautiful (and even useful) works of art.... well, if I had my life to live over again, that is what I would do. :)

In my intended field, I've basically spent the last 5 years of my life being taught things I will never use and tried to gain e xp erience in my field through my own means. As it stands now I'm in grad school being taught by people who know less about the topics than I do. I wish that were arrogance or aggravation but it's generally true. I've definitely built up about 30k in debt for a sheet of paper and nothing else.

I can tell you this. When you make that last loan payment and your education is paid off, it will feel very sweet indeed. I think it was about a dozen years after I finished school that I paid off the last loan.

As for me, Wednesday I refinanced my house, shaving off almost 3 points of interest and 12 years off the repayment schedule. Thus, my house will now be paid for in 15 years instead of 27 (I was 3 years into a 30 when I did the refi). So I feel your pain!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]I can tell you this. When you make that last loan payment and your education is paid off, it will feel very sweet indeed. I think it was about a dozen years after I finished school that I paid off the last loan.

As for me, Wednesday I refinanced my house, shaving off almost 3 points of interest and 12 years off the repayment schedule. Thus, my house will now be paid for in 15 years instead of 27 (I was 3 years into a 30 when I did the refi). So I feel your pain![/quote]

Didn't need to take out any school loans.
Uncle Sam paid for the first two years ...OK so I loaned him 6 years of my life in exchange for 2 years of college.
And my employer footed the bill for the last 2 years....even paid the parking fees!

I did a re-fi 7 years ago shaving off about 3.5 points. Got 8 years left on a 15 year note :) ---originally was for 30 years also.
Almost all principle now...very little interest left to deduct on tax return. :(

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]No worries, Thran. I'm one of the few people you'll meet who will argue that a college education is NOT a necessary thing in this world. People in trades make a hell of a lot more than most college graduates, are always in demand, and because of that are essentially recession proof. Just because you're low on cash doesn't mean you're not going to call a plumber for a broken toilet, or an electrician for faulty wiring. And they're going to make more an hour than I probably ever will... :P

Did you go to any trade school? Because that's just as useful to my research! I say college, but any sort of higher education is applicable to what I'm looking for.[/quote]
I certainly didn't e xp ect my post would spark such response :O .

There are in fact trade schools, but for all practical purposes they're just another attempt by the education BUSINESS to attract those who don't want to go to "school".

Most trades are (and have been for centuries) learned through apprenticeship. A person goes from apprentice to up-grader; usually determined- not by time, but knowledge and level of skill learned. Ultimately, when the knowledge of the trade is learned, he/she gets declared a journeyman.

I learned my trade by getting a part-time job in the shop my brother worked at. Management took notice of my skills and asked if I wanted to stay on and become an apprentice model maker (pattern maker to some).

It was a non-union shop so it worked by its own rules and standards. Started by a couple of German born brothers; they got most of their men from Europe, so the standards were all European.

USA apprenticeship to journeyman was basically 5 years (10,000 hours)
This shop I was in, 12 years (25,000 hours), but these Europeans taught me woodworking skills I'd never e xp ected to learn.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Sedhal""]I agree. I wasted four years of my life and am still wasting plenty of money paying for wasted time while I waste additional time trying to earn it as well as play catch up...

I have a paper with a degree on it. Big deal. It doesn't make my art any better, it doesn't make my writing any better, and it won't make me a better filmmaker. But what would have helped make all of the above better is time and money that I threw away on that trivial piece of paper.

I just don't believe in degrees for the arts or anything. Really sucks that I had to do all this to find out... oh wait, it was actually so my parents could find out. :P

But if someone's going to be a doctor or something, yeah... please attend college and pay attention.[/quote]
I don't disagree with anything you said Sed, but I can GUARANTEE with all my years working in this world; that stupid piece of paper gets into "The Club".

Those of us who do not have that piece of paper are more often than not, looked at as if we're total idiots by those who have them. We are not permitted to call ourselves professionals as far as 'they' are concerned; a 'professional has that stupid piece of paper'.

That's why you guys hear me say at times; "College educated idiots", and this by no means is how I feel toward someone who has gone to college, but rather applies to those who have a degree and yet know little or nothing about their occupation.

An outstanding example: the architect who designed that stairway most of you have seen that I did; he screwed up the elevations from bottom to top by an inch and a half, this caused massive re-work in the steel underneath thereby causing a bunch of boogered areas for final aesthetics. He failed to provide all of the most critical layout dimensions (balluster[spindle]locations) which determined the size of each piece of glass, etc.
All of these issues were resolved by yours truly, so I actually did half of the design work when it comes to what you see in the finished product.

Guess who got all of the awards for that stairway? Guess who NEVER gets mentioned in all the magazine articles?

Rule of thumb for life:
It's not fair. Including having to go to school and learn a bunch of useless crap that will never be used in the field of your profession.
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]Thrandy,

You don't know how much I admire you. Of all the craftsmen's trades one could learn, cabinetmaker has my heart.

To be able to turn raw wood into such beautiful (and even useful) works of art.... well, if I had my life to live over again, that is what I would do. :) [/quote]
Thanks Deimos.
I can tell you that I have a lot of "Mastercard" moments, that is "Priceless", worth far more than the money I've earned.
Hearing my customers tell me:
"I think of you everyday, I walk by this stairway every day and think of you."
Women on the verge of tears saying, "I never dreamed I'd have a kitchen like this."
Getting hugs from wives right in front of their husbands.

General Electric move over!
I bring good things to peoples lives. :thumbs_up

And finally, but most important to me; I praise God for the gifts and talent He has given me.

[quote=""Sedhal""]And I praise your hard work, practice, and e xp erience for the skill and knowledge you've earned. :) [/quote]
Thanks, that degree will open doors for you, so don't lose heart. It's not exactly worthless. :thumbs_up

[quote=""am.dk""]hey i am a butcher[/quote]

Any bakers belong to forums? ...... any candlestick-makers? :D

Return to “Other Discussions”