Snow!

So, who's got it where they are?
We got some good snow in SE Michigan this past week.

Here's one looking out the front door:

Doo, doo, doo looking out my back door:

The other half of the back yard:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Snow!

And here's the fury one enjoying the snow:

And the other furry one:

And the other furry one:

And I've got the fireplace all decorated:

The tree is up, but I haven't decorated yet. Unfortunately, we didn't get lights up outside before it snowed, which makes it difficult to put them out. We might yet get some of them out, but I need more time on my hands first.

Aww, wubbyba, who's a good doggie? Yeshh, you are, you are!

*ahem*

Sorry, pictures of your adorable beast friends put me in baby-talk mode. Lovely view with the snow and the landscape, very well-taken pics :thumbs_up

We've a light dusting of snow here that's started to melt, so doesn't really count as it's all patchy and strange at the moment :D

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Great pix!

We have a few inches on the ground here in eastern Illinois. We've been getting a snow just about every weekend since December started.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Snow? Not where I am. Got to go to the [Misty] Mountains north or east of me to get snow. 65 Deg here and I have been working outside in the yard and painting.

Nights are lovely....about 45-50 deg and clear or mostly clear. :)

Now...summers here?......don't ask. :P

Fin, your furries are sweeties.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Fin, your furries are sweeties.[/quote]

Why thank you. I can hardly get them to sit still, I'm surprised I was able to get pictures of them. Especially the cat, she doesn't like to do what she's told. I guess that's characteristic of cats though. :)

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Why thank you. I can hardly get them to sit still, I'm surprised I was able to get pictures of them. Especially the cat, she doesn't like to do what she's told. I guess that's characteristic of cats though. :) [/quote]

Fin, ever hear of Robert A. Heinlein?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

[from "The Door Into Summer"]

It's a crazy world, isn't it...that quote is definitely true. :crazy:

Snow? what is this mythical frozen flaky water you speak of... unheard of in these parts of southeast Texas... rare glimpses of things... much like reports of the Yeti

[quote=""Fingolfin""]So, who's got it where they are?
We got some good snow in SE Michigan this past week.

Here's one looking out the front door: [/quote]

Fin, is that first pic looking the front door show an open field in the distance, or is that a frozen (or maybe not frozen) lake?

Sorry, but I've been away from snow and cold for so long I can't even identify winter scenery anymore. :huh:

We've had snow forever it seems, with the exception of a few days last week. I believe it was wednesday, most snow had finally disappeared, and the night came. Wake up, get ready for work, and to my big surprise the ground is covered in a 1cm thick layer of clear ice. Everywhere, literally. Turns out, that the temperature went slighlty on the plus side during the night, then the rain came. Then it all froze up. Even the bloody brick wall was covered in the ice.

Anyways, I hate snow. Especially when it's 50cm +, and it lasts forever.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Yup, we got some snow this week too when it warmed up enough.
Temp has been in the teens mostly, with a few nights dropping into the single digits.

Unlike Darlak, I tend to think of winter as in my blood. Snow and Nordic are synonymous aren't they?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

You misunderstand Thrand, I do in no way dislike the cold, I like it. It's snow I don't like. Snow and all the hassle that comes with it.

You can say what you want about your own relationship to snow, but there are hardly any snow over where you are. We get over 50cm every year, and it stays for months. Last year, the snow didn't go away before halfway through May.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

[quote=""Darlak""]You misunderstand Thrand, I do in no way dislike the cold, I like it. It's snow I don't like. Snow and all the hassle that comes with it.

You can say what you want about your own relationship to snow, but there are hardly any snow over where you are. We get over 50cm every year, and it stays for months. Last year, the snow didn't go away before halfway through May.[/quote]
Darlak, those of us in the northern states get plenty of snow. 50 cm is like 18.5 inches, we get that in one storm sometimes. We got one last year that dumped 24" 60cm in 24 hours.

Buffulo gets hammered from lake effect every few years, this year they already had to deal with a 1.5 METER dumping.

I'm amused Norway gets so little snow and you don't like it. :)

I'm thinking back through my life of how much snow I've had to deal with. The best was winter of 69-70, when my dad had to drop me out of the second story window so I could dig out the front door to get it open. I remember hearing my mom say, "So how deep is it? And my dad replied, "Well lets put it this way, he disappeared." LOl, I LOVE snow. Building snow forts so big you could stand up in them and still have four feet over your head.

I think you need to see the bright side here and count your blessings.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I like snow, to an extent. It's hard not to see snow softly drifting down, filtering through bare woods, gently coating the stubble of the corn field, and not be touched by the beauty of it. But when it stays for months, when the snow at the edge of the road is black with dirt and gunk splashed up by passing cars, and when you're in vehicle accidents because of snow, then I don't like it so well. However, to me I could never envision a Christmas season without at least the possibility of snow, so I don't think I'll ever move to a climate where it doesn't snow.

Which raises an interesting thought. Is the association of snow and Christmas purely a Northern Hemisphere idea? What do our Southern Hemisphere friends associate with snow? Roasting a turkey on the barbie? Let's here about it! ;)

Thrand, wasn't there a real nasty snow drop sometime about the winter of '78 around here? I think that's the worst that my parents always compare snowfall to.

The winters of the late 70s were horrendous, especially downwind of the Great Lakes. There were several years when I was in high school where I was out of school more days than in, during those winters! And we were pretty much at the opposite end of the state from Lake Michigan. I can only imagine what the lake effect snows must have been like.

[quote=""Olorin""]The winters of the late 70s were horrendous, especially downwind of the Great Lakes. There were several years when I was in high school where I was out of school more days than in, during those winters! And we were pretty much at the opposite end of the state from Lake Michigan. I can only imagine what the lake effect snows must have been like.[/quote]

I'm "at the opposite end of the state" as well, so I can't even imagine what it was like over on the Lake Michigan coast. Heck, it's bad enough enough in normal wintertime snow over there! We don't get half of what they get unless the winds blow west over Lake Erie.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Thrand, wasn't there a real nasty snow drop sometime about the winter of '78 around here? I think that's the worst that my parents always compare snowfall to.[/quote]
Yeah, actually you pinpointed one of the years I remember building an awesome snow fort.
I lived on a street that ended in a court, so they piled all the snow in the middle of it. My friend and I built a huge fort in that pile.
I'll have to mention that to him next time we speak, I owe him a call anyway. We've been friends for 32 years now, how's that for old Fin? Twice your age. :)

[quote=""Thranduil""]We've been friends for 32 years now, how's that for old Fin? Twice your age. :) [/quote]

Did you beat back the Roman Legions from that fort? :crazy:

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Hahaha, zing![/quote]

Kid cracks me up :D

It snowed a little bit today, and tonight and tomorrow we're supposed to have freezing rain or freezing drizzle. Thursday night we're supposed to have a winter storm. I have a 150 mile trip ahead of me for Thursday during the day, so I hope the weather holds off like it's "supposed to." I'm coming back on Sunday and right now the forecast looks ok, though cold.

In any case, this is starting to get a little old, and winter hasn't even officially begun, according to the calendar anyway. It wouldn't bother me have so much if it weren't threatening my Christmas travel plans. I've been making this trek for 32 years now, and sooner or later I'm going to be forced to forgo my Christmas trip to the old family homestead, and that's going to be a major, major drag.

Whereabouts are you headed, Olorin? Or I guess more importantly, how good are the roads? :P

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Whereabouts are you headed, Olorin? Or I guess more importantly, how good are the roads? :P [/quote]

The St. Louis area. Currently, the roads are fine. The freezing rain never froze, and it got up to nearly 40 today, so there was some melting. As it stands now, they're only saying a 40% chance of snow after midnight on Thur (ie, in the wee hours of Friday), with snow more likely on Friday. I shouldn't have any trouble getting there, knock on wood.

Damn,,,,I feel bad for you guys up north. I see on the news every day how this freak start to winter is crippling so much of the country. It hit 86 degrees here in Dallas, TX. today! We broke a record for this date. :coolsmile
When you get to hell, tell them I sent you! Then apologize on my behalf for the inconvenience!

[quote=""Olorin""]The St. Louis area. Currently, the roads are fine. The freezing rain never froze, and it got up to nearly 40 today, so there was some melting. As it stands now, they're only saying a 40% chance of snow after midnight on Thur (ie, in the wee hours of Friday), with snow more likely on Friday. I shouldn't have any trouble getting there, knock on wood.[/quote]

Olorin, I am from St Louis. Where is the "old family homestead";
St Louis proper or one of the surrounding municipalities?

[quote=""Deimos""]Olorin, I am from St Louis. Where is the "old family homestead";
St Louis proper or one of the surrounding municipalities?[/quote]

Clinton County, Illinois

Well at least you're heading south Olorin, not that Missouri can't be hit hard (I know it can).
Have a safe travel, and DON'T convince yourself you have to get there in one shot if the roads are bad. Better late than never.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
God bless you,"There and back again". :thumbs_up

[quote=""Thranduil""]Well at least you're heading south Olorin, not that Missouri can't be hit hard (I know it can).
Have a safe travel, and DON'T convince yourself you have to get there in one shot if the roads are bad. Better late than never.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
God bless you,"There and back again". :thumbs_up [/quote]

Thank you! :)

[quote=""Deimos""]Snow? Not where I am. Got to go to the [Misty] Mountains north or east of me to get snow. 65 Deg here and I have been working outside in the yard and painting.

Nights are lovely....about 45-50 deg and clear or mostly clear. :)

Now...summers here?......don't ask. :P

Fin, your furries are sweeties.[/quote]
I meant to do this after reading this post, but had to retrieve the photo from my phone.
Here's my goof ball dachshund up to his typically adventurous escapades;

He's having delusions of being a mountain goat. :crazy:
And, NO, I didn't put him there, he's about to jump out of the truck.

I love dachshunds, Thrand. Always mischevious, yes they are! Sneaky little dogs!

[quote=""Thranduil""]...
Here's my goof ball dachshund up to his typically adventurous escapades;

He's having delusions of being a mountain goat. :crazy:
And, NO, I didn't put him there, he's about to jump out of the truck.[/quote]

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I love dachshunds, Thrand. Always mischevious, yes they are! Sneaky little dogs![/quote]

Dachshunds are indeed a trip. :D

Handsome hound, Thrandy, how old is he?
Can he jump that far and not break one of those stubby legs?
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Deimos""]Dachshunds are indeed a trip. :D

Handsome hound, Thrandy, how old is he?
Can he jump that far and not break one of those stubby legs?[/quote]

Not exactly sure how old he is, I took him in cuz he was homeless and freezing. Best guess is he's around 12 now.

Yes he can jump that far, he's clueless about his size or how short his legs are. Fearless in every way. Thinks he's the BIG dog and will prove it to any other dog.

Most little dogs like to think of themselves in that way. :D

I got my dog the same way, Thrand. My grandma found her in her barn, nearly starved, so we got her some shots, fed her a ton, and now she's spoiled and fat. We left her at a kennel when we went on a trip to florida in '06...when we came back she was pregnant. So we kept one of the little ones, and 4 years and about 90 pounds later he looks a lot like that big brown thing on the first page.

You guys seen these videos? Some are hilarious. You watch these and you know God has a sense of humor. :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbF_bn7u ... re=related

Gotta love goofy dogs. :D Mine like to pull similar stunts, just more clumsy.

I guess it's time to move to Norway so I don't have to deal with all this snow.
35 cm in one dumping. We've had as much as Norway's total yearly accumulation already.
Just think, the worst has yet to come! Yippie!

i am amassed ,that no one gets (the snow),not iven darlak,who talks like 50 cm snow.at this year.

we have our little iland,whits we call (the sunshine vikasion,iland). :|
its covered whit snow ,and from dec 23.the iland is closed down.
thay have up to 3 meters of snow on the roads.it will take around 3 days from now to clear 5 km of roads whit snow.good luck . :thumbs_up
and marry cristmas to any one who did not reach there famaly in time on the iland. :( an delaite critmas :thumbs_up

You misunderstood, I'm not saying that we get max 50cm every year, I'm saying that there's at least 50cm laying on the ground for 4 months. We've got 3 feet of snow outside now, and it's still snowing heavily. When we drove home from Haugesund saturday, our 5 hour trip took us nearly 8 hours. Norway really is hell during the winter.

Oh and it's been between -10 and -20 celcius outside for the better part of a month.

[quote=""Darlak""]You misunderstood, I'm not saying that we get max 50cm every year, I'm saying that there's at least 50cm laying on the ground for 4 months. We've got 3 feet of snow outside now, and it's still snowing heavily. When we drove home from Haugesund saturday, our 5 hour trip took us nearly 8 hours. Norway really is hell during the winter.

Oh and it's been between -10 and -20 celcius outside for the better part of a month.[/quote]
AH, well that makes more sense! We are running about the same in temperatures.

Winter is winter.
Just remember the days are getting longer now. Spring will come. :thumbs_up

Call it a cliche, with all my black clothes and metal music, but I actually like the darkness this time of year.

Summer is gonna be awesome though, can't wait for the festivals. Nothing like waking up in a ridiculously hot tent at 7 am, and then grab an equally hot beer right away, and get wasted once again.

festivals are the meaning of life... =)

Well it rained here the last few nights. Snow's all melted...for now. It'll all come back mid-January.

Yeah, the ground is clear here, too. We've had two days in a row with temps in the 50s and rain. It's all gone except for the big plow piles.

Everything in life is a trade-off, though: now we're under a tornado watch until 7 pm. What a way to end a year and usher in a new one....

[Misty] Mountains north and east of me got hit pretty hard, although the ski resorts are in seventh heaven.

No snow where I am, only abnormal subfreezing temps (average is about 45-50F this time of year)
So I was out last night covering all my citrus trees and frost sensitive plants. Brrrrrrrr!! Time to light another fire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You don't know cold until you've shoveled snow in the middle of a Michigan January at 9:30 PM...brrr.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]You don't know cold until you've shoveled snow in the middle of a Michigan January at 9:30 PM...brrr.[/quote]
Well at least shoveling keeps you warm. 6 AM yesterday, then again at 4 PM, then again at 8 pm. I woke up this morning and looked outside to see if I had to do it again, YEAH, no more had fallen. We got dumped on again.
The bright side WAS the cold, makes for light and fluffy snow vs. warm heavy snow. :thumbs_up

Bah, you sissies... We've been wading in snow up to our knees for the better part of two months, and the cold is extreme, even for a viking.

Yes Fin, I absolutely do know cold.

[quote=""Darlak""]Bah, you sissies... We've been wading in snow up to our knees for the better part of two months, and the cold is extreme, even for a viking.

Yes Fin, I absolutely do know cold.[/quote]

Sissies? Who was it who whined about snow in the first place in this thread?

Me. Because I don't like it. At all. Thing is, you americans starts crying every time a single flake of snow falls, and the whole country shuts down. Same goes for the british.

Return to “Other Discussions”