Any members familiar with programming??

Hey guys,

As some of you may know, I just graduated with my Master's Degree in Psychology and my thesis chair and I have decided to continue our research and send our work in and try to get published in a major psychological research journal.

Without giving too much away and to be brief, we have found significant results and support for attitudinal change after being e xp osed to our independent variable.

What we want to show is behavioral change, so what I am trying to come up with is, and forgive me, I don't know the first thing about technical language when it comes to computer programming... but I want to create a text-based computer simulation in the style of the old "choose your own adventure" books.

Basically, you have a situation and I want there to be a set of 3 choices to go with that situation... A B or C and depending on which one you choose, you will be taken to the next scenario and the next set of responses and this will go on for say, 10 different scenarios and finally you will reach a predetermined ending, based on the choices you have chosen.

I will need to be able to have a print out of which choices they made and possibly how long it takes them to reach their choice.

I know I am being vague, but discretion is key in the research planning stage...

Does anyone have any ideas on what programming software I could use that is user friendly? Or if this idea is even possible?

Re: Any members familiar with programming??

It is definitely possible. You could probably code everything in Java honestly, most Android Apps are more complex then that and are made by users. It wouldn't be too hard at all if each choice gives you a completely different quest, sort of like a factor tree
Main Screen
/ l \
S1 S2 S3
/ l \ / l \ / l \
ect ect ect

The only thing that gets a little involved is crisscrossing scenarios and tracking the answers.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Basically, you have a situation and I want there to be a set of 3 choices to go with that situation... A B or C and depending on which one you choose, you will be taken to the next scenario and the next set of responses and this will go on for say, 10 different scenarios and finally you will reach a predetermined ending, based on the choices you have chosen.[/quote]
Human psychology with a PREdetermined ending?
No offense BC (Really) but I have to say that this is exactly how people got so dummied down.

I'll try to clarify:
This theory is a fact, and all these theories related to it are also facts, and so the obvious truth is that unproven theory is truth.
It can only work with people who have bought into utilitarian relativism.
So the bright side is that if you can do it you'll get rich :coolsmile
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

The situation I am putting the people in has to have a set of predetermined endings... the "road people choose to get to the end" is what I am concerned with. The ending in this case is irrelevant, the choices are all that is relevant to me.

I hypothesize that Group A with no e xp osure will make certain types of selections and Group B with e xp osure will make certain types of selections and using statistical analysis, I will be able to say that the there is significant difference between the two groups could be e xp lained because of the e xp osure, which, we only say is significant <.05 or less, meaning less than a 5% chance that the results I have found are due to chance.

Ah, the choices information is what you want, gotcha :thumbs_up .
You threw me off with that predetermined ending part.

Darlak may be right about those guys offering programming advice to you since it doesn't compete with what they're doing; worth a try at least.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Ah, the choices information is what you want, gotcha :thumbs_up .
You threw me off with that predetermined ending part.

Darlak may be right about those guys offering programming advice to you since it doesn't compete with what they're doing; worth a try at least.[/quote]

Yeah those guys over at tesnexus are ridiculously helpful, and they know pretty much everything there is to know about programming and the like.

This one guy rewrote the entire script to oblivion, and made a script that is way better.
"I had the blues, 'cause I had no shoes, until upon the street, I saw a man who had no feet"

The biggest problem about a zombie-apocalypse would be to hide my excitement about it

Return to “Other Discussions”