Ancient Warfare

Besides my Latin courses, I also teach two ancient history electives I made: Ancient Warfare and Gods, Gladiators and Emperors. Each course is 18-weeks long (one semester), and the curriculum is my own, which I've been tweaking for about 7 years now.

I spent the summer working a great deal on a book/textbook for my Warfare class, and I finally finished it about a month ago. It was a monumental writing task, which I really had difficulty finding the drive to finish at times, especially when I was in middle of it. It came out at over 68,000 words and over 240 pages, and covers Greek and Roman warfare, from the Iliad through Alexander the Great, then the Punic Wars and the rise of Rome. I had a class set printed up, and am currently waiting on hearing back from a couple publishers. *fingers crossed*

Cheers, and Happy New Year again!

Guy
Last edited by Legion on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Re: Ancient Warfare

[quote=""Legion""]Besides my Latin courses, I also teach two ancient history electives I made: Ancient Warfare and Gods, Gladiators and Emperors. Each course is 18-weeks long (one semester), and the curriculum is my own, which I've been tweaking for about 7 years now.

I spent the summer working a great deal on a book/textbook for my Warfare class, and I finally finished it about a month ago. It was a monumental writing task, which I really had difficulty finding the drive to finish at times, especially when I was in middle of it. It came out at over 68,000 words and over 240 pages, and covers Greek and Roman warfare, from the Iliad through Alexander the Great, then the Punic Wars and the rise of Rome. I had a class set printed up, and am currently waiting on hearing back from a couple publishers. *fingers crossed*

Cheers, and Happy New Year again!

Guy[/quote]

Legion, can you post your Bibliography, or "Sources" I guess it's sometmes called.
I'm curious as to some of the authors you read and ref'd in writing your magnum opus.
If you'd rather not make it public you can PM me with the list.
I had 8 semesters of Latin and another 4 semesters of Classics. Needless to say, there was a bit of warfare history in all that. (I have BA in History from ASU)

Thanks, (and good luck with getting published)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

well,legion you did call out my atenession here, :thumbs_up
and even if im old ,i still might like to study in your class :crazy:

latin is not my favor but the history is .it says 1184 to 197 B.C

i want to now more about that edge of time .
i did visit capua ,pompei and rome a few years back ,just to se how the roman empier still stands to day. :coolsmile

still nice protected ,but not as its supose to be . :huh:

Hey, another Classicist! I copied the Contents and Bibliography into one doc and uploaded it. I used primary sources for the bulk of it, with secondary sources giving varied interpretations on singular events.

I'd comment more, but I'm tired as can be, and this website if frakkin' blocked from work, so I can only update from home.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/77012793/Content-PDF

Cheers,

Guy

Oh my gosh Guy, can you PLEASE come teach here! Or teach somewhere that I can attend, or teach someone here to teach your course! This stuff is just my cup of tea, and it seems that I'm the only person in Michigan who doesn't care about math and science. I'd read that text of yours for pleasure reading, I love ancient history, particularly ancient warfare. :thumbs_up

Conrgats on finishing it as well.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Legion""]Hey, another Classicist! I copied the Contents and Bibliography into one doc and uploaded it. I used primary sources for the bulk of it, with secondary sources giving varied interpretations on singular events.

I'd comment more, but I'm tired as can be, and this website if frakkin' blocked from work, so I can only update from home.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/77012793/Content-PDF

Cheers, Guy[/quote]

Thanks for posting the Bibliography, Guy. (Curiosity satisfied :) )
Question: While you were in college/university, or even afterwards (when you could read what you wanted to read and not just what you had to read :D ) did you ever read anything by Donald Kagan, and if so, what did you think of his work(s)?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Fin: It's always an issue using a generic history course number for my Ancient Warfare, but that's fairly common in high school. Every school keeps a few course numbers from old, and not used, classes around for this reason. The text was a way for me to further legitimize the course in case waves are made about its validity. I can make a B&W copy and send it your way with the map. Just PM me your address if you haven't done so already.

Deimos: No problem, thanks for asking. Yes, I'm quite familiar with Kagan, and have read his books. I thought I had cited his Peloponnesian War in there? By the end, I was so tired and strung out from writing to much, I must have forgotten to put it in there. If it ever gets picked up, then I'll address that and the little errors I've since found. My wife edits, as she has all my stuff for the past decade, and I think we caught about 98% of the small errors. I think one of the best books written was Alexander by Guy McLean Rogers. His style is superb and is such a comfortable and informative read.

Cheers,

Guy

EDIT: To answer the question as to why I started and stopped where I did, the curriculum sort of grew into it. I'll e xp lain in more detail tomorrow, when I'm not tired as can be. lol But for now, I'll just say that I saw a circular "karma" logic to where I started. The ending worked out far better than I ever thought it would.

Hi Guy,
This is just awesome - congratulations on your work. Also being a student of Classics...and with a my *little* interest in weapons and warfare - this books really intrigues me!

Hopefully when medical school is over, and i finally have time for some leisure reading, i will get a chance to pick up your book... I currently have at least 5 books on weapons / ancient warfare sitting on my bookshelf that i haven't even opened :(
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Return to “Other Discussions”