Shipping boxes?

So, I am trying to get some income to help fuel a new passion...photography. Lenses are crazy e xp ensive. I've been pondering downsizing my LOTR collection and the biggest question I have is, how do you ship these big, long boxes? I've tossed the original mailing boxes long ago. Do I wrap in sturdy brown paper or what? (I still have the sword/ax box with sleeve, just no cardboard mailer.)

Re: Shipping boxes?

There is an online company called U-Line that sell all kinds of boxes, you may want to check them out.

By the by, here's a heads up for all you shipping via UPS. As I prepared to ship the Eomer helm, I paid close attention to what the UPS guys were entering into the computer. When they measure your box they enter larger numbers than the actual size of the box. This results in a higher price.

For example, I brought in a box that measured 18"x18"x18" and the guy entered 20"x20"x20". That added more than a full cubic foot to the size of the box. So I took it home, broke apart the display stand (it was glued together) so it could be flattened and reduce the space it took up (reassembled by the buyer). I was able to then pack it in a box that was 14"x14"x17" which reduced the shipping to Switzerland from $589 to $364, but the guy at UPS entered the size as 15"x15"x18", so I called him out on it and made him enter the true size of the box. The price went from $417 back down to the $364 they quoted.

So pay attention folks! Shipping e xp ense is all about size and weight, and when they exaggerate those numbers they make a killing at our e xp ense.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

The styro boxes and sleeves are indeed sturdy enough for shipping, but the mailer boxes do provide an extra layer of protection against lazy and careless handlers and delivery people. I've received countless items where the mailer box was damaged, with crushed corners and holes poked in it where other boxes with sharp corners had impacted them. Thankfully, the sleeves and styros inside were fine.

So, while you could simply wrap them in paper, I would say it's a risk.

To change the topic slightly, it's ironic we only just recently discussed the future of our collections, and here you are pondering its fate as we speak. :P

Not sure what items you have in your collection, and I know you're still deciding what to let go of, but if you own and intend to sell any of the following items, please send me a PM:

Walking Axe of Gimli
Gondor Infantry Helm
Helm of Isildur
Gondor Shield
Mask of the Witchking
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]The styro boxes and sleeves are indeed sturdy enough for shipping, but the mailer boxes do provide an extra layer of protection against lazy and careless handlers and delivery people. I've received countless items where the mailer box was damaged, with crushed corners and holes poked in it where other boxes with sharp corners had impacted them. Thankfully, the sleeves and styros inside were fine.

So, while you could simply wrap them in paper, I would say it's a risk.

To change the topic slightly, it's ironic we only just recently discussed the future of our collections, and here you are pondering its fate as we speak. :P

Not sure what items you have in your collection, and I know you're still deciding what to let go of, but if you own and intend to sell any of the following items, please send me a PM:

Walking Axe of Gimli
Gondor Infantry Helm
Helm of Isildur
Gondor Shield
Mask of the Witchking[/quote]

:thumbs_up (The Walking Axe is the only thing I have on your list that I'd consider selling, I don't have the other items in my collection.)

What if I wrapped the box in bubble wrap before wrapping in the brown paper?

[quote=""Arwyniel""] :thumbs_up (The Walking Axe is the only thing I have on your list that I'd consider selling, I don't have the other items in my collection.)

What if I wrapped the box in bubble wrap before wrapping in the brown paper?[/quote]

Can't speak for others, but just to finally get the Walking Axe, I know I would accept bubble wrap. :thumbs_up

It should be fine, just as a general case. Getting boxes of that length and shape can be a huge headache. You could probably get something approximate, but then would still have to use padding of some sort so the item inside doesn't shift around too much. You're making me wish I had kept my mailers, but as I don't intend to sell anything any time soon, I can live with my decision. :P
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Arwyniel""] :thumbs_up (The Walking Axe is the only thing I have on your list that I'd consider selling, I don't have the other items in my collection.)

What if I wrapped the box in bubble wrap before wrapping in the brown paper?[/quote]

Bubble wrap would help a lot. But here is what I would do first:

Get some small shipping boxes (discards work fine), or at least some flat corrugated heavy duty cardboard.
If you have the small boxes, cut away the corners so you have several inches of "Corners" and fit those over the corners of your boxes. Corners are where a lot of damage occurs in shipping.
If you can't do ready made cutaway corners, use the the flat pieces and make your own.
A bit of work but I have done it both ways and it makes a world of difference on the receiving end.

After you fit or make the corners, slip them on the box, wrap everything in bubble wrap, wrap that around in several places with strapping tape, then snugly wrap it all in heavy, very heavy brown wrapping paper.

Charge all that material, ifyou have to buy it, to your customer as part of shipping costs.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Bubble wrap would help a lot. But here is what I would do first:

Get some small shipping boxes (discards work fine), or at least some flat corrugated heavy duty cardboard.
If you have the small boxes, cut away the corners so you have several inches of "Corners" and fit those over the corners of your boxes. Corners are where a lot of damage occurs in shipping.
If you can't do ready made cutaway corners, use the the flat pieces and make your own.
A bit of work but I have done it both ways and it makes a world of difference on the receiving end.

After you fit or make the corners, slip them on the box, wrap everything in bubble wrap, wrap that around in several places with strapping tape, then snugly wrap it all in heavy, very heavy brown wrapping paper.

Charge all that material, ifyou have to buy it, to your customer as part of shipping costs.[/quote]

Those are very helpful tips, thank you! I have loads of boxes in the basement, just none that could fit any swords or axes. Most likely I could find some corners from those.

I'm afraid I can't chime in on boxing, but I think wrapping in bubble wrap and brown paper should do the trick, along with securing the corners like Deimos said. :thumbs_up

Also, if you intend to sell any SSW pieces, post here first! :)
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I'm afraid I can't chime in on boxing, but I think wrapping in bubble wrap and brown paper should do the trick, along with securing the corners like Deimos said. :thumbs_up

Also, if you intend to sell any SSW pieces, post here first! :) [/quote]

Thanks!
I've already posted the Sideshow Weta stuff in the Barter Bazaar area, but it's not much.

I have used the brown paper method before, not for swords or anything, but I have done it with animation cels... I cut a box up for to lay the cell and matting in between, then taped it down, then covered the entire thing in brown paper and heavy duty taped the corners and all seams of the paper and mailed it USPS, twice through eBay and the people complimented on the packaging.

But once you sell your LOTR collection, what will you have to take pictures of?

Just kidding, LOL. I only made the connection because I thought your photo work in photographing some of the recent environments from WETA was so good. You made those models look like the real thing!

Photography definitely can be very e xp ensive. I'm glad I never got into it any further than I did, and my interest tapered over the years. When my film camera broke in 2006 and I couldn't get it fixed, that was about the end of the line for me. Sad to say, but I only take picture with my cell phone now. Some day I will probably get a digital camera, but it just seems like there are so many other things I need/want to spend money on....

Anyway, good luck with your hobby, and maybe you can post more of your pix for us to see!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]But once you sell your LOTR collection, what will you have to take pictures of?

Just kidding, LOL. I only made the connection because I thought your photo work in photographing some of the recent environments from WETA was so good. You made those models look like the real thing!

Anyway, good luck with your hobby, and maybe you can post more of your pix for us to see![/quote]

lol, I'm not selling all of it just yet, just the pieces I don't feel much of a connection with. Thanks for the compliment! I really have enjoyed the class that I am currently taking and have learned so much. I don't plan to do this professionally by any means, but I am having a great time.

I think wrapping in bubble wrap and then brown paper is a bad idea. The bubble wrap is just going to make a soft pad for the brown paper to puncture and tear. Several layers of the heavy brown paper would be better.

You can also make a custom box out of your other boxes. A liquor bottle box for example; open all four tabs & cut the side at the seam and open it up laying flat. It should be long enough. With the ax in the styro and sleeve, put it on the box and line it up with the edge, use a screw driver to score the corrugated cardboard where the ax box sits, then fold it up and do it again at the next corner, etc.

Corrugated card board will fold nicely if you score it where you want it to fold.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]By the by, here's a heads up for all you shipping via UPS. As I prepared to ship the Eomer helm, I paid close attention to what the UPS guys were entering into the computer. When they measure your box they enter larger numbers than the actual size of the box. This results in a higher price.[/quote]

a nice way around Thranduil's USPS or UPS shipping thing is to pay for the package using their online shipping calculator. Not only do you get to measure and weight the box yourself (i have never had them check my measurements at the store) but you also get a hefty discount cause you entered it online, resulting in loads more cash in your pocket! :thumbs_up
http://www.pegasuswd.com/

[quote=""Fingolfin""]That's a useful tip, dpeg! I'll have to remember that come holiday season. :thumbs_up [/quote]
It is a useful tip. I'll have to buy a scale so I can do that.
I'm always up for saving money and cutting costs anyway I can.
Thanks dpeg :)

Return to “Other Discussions”