Tech Headache

Anyone good with WiFi setup? I just got a new router and I'm trying to set it up. The equipment seems to be functioning properly and my PC is connecting to the internet, but my Network Center says that I'm not connected to the internet. :huh: If anyone is good with these things, I'd appreciate a little "know-how". :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Tech Headache

It successfully connects to the internet. I'm on my PC right now, with the Router set up, and I'm connected to the internet. My PS3 also grabbed the WiFi signal, and is connected to the internet. However, in my Network and Sharing Center (Windows Vista), there's a red X through my signal from Network to Internet, and it says I'm not connected. Also, my cousins and my mom are not able to connect to the WiFi on their phones, even though my PS3 was able to. :|

Did you alter any settings in Windows when you first connected this new router? Have you tried establishing a cable connection to your computer first before having it use the WiFi? Also, be sure to turn on Network Discovery and Internet Sharing. Last but not least, power down your router for a minute or two then back on.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]Did you alter any settings in Windows when you first connected this new router? [/quote]

Nope.

Have you tried establishing a cable connection to your computer first before having it use the WiFi?

Well, it's a desktop...so yeah, it's cabled.

Also, be sure to turn on Network Discovery and Internet Sharing.

Already done. :thumbs_up

Last but not least, power down your router for a minute or two then back on.

I suppose I could try it, but it seems to be providing internet. The computer just says it's not. :| It seems to me that all the equipment is functioning properly, but the signal that the computer is doing connection tests on is effed up. Not exactly technical terms, but other than the computer not recognizing the signal everything seems to be working properly.

Well, you can have a wireless adapter inside a desktop PC, therefore negating the need for a cable. However, it seems you are wired in, so probs there.

I'm sure you're thinking at this point to just leave it, and I would say that's probably the best option. If you're getting a connection, that's the important thing. Windows is uber-finicky sometimes, especially Vista. What worries me is that other devices except your PS3 aren't seeing the network connection either.

If worse comes to worse, contact your ISP and have them troubleshoot any router issues over the phone with you. One time I got a new one and couldn't figure why none of my devices were picking up the WiFi signal but my PC was connected just fine. Turns out I forgot to connect the little WiFi antenna that was hiding in the box. DOH! :P
This Space for Rent

Hehehe yeah, that will cause a problem! My friend who was over picked up the signal on his iphone, so I think all is well. Perhaps I'll just reboot my computer later and see if the diagnosis is clean.

Return to “Other Discussions”