What to do?

Stay posting on forums
Total votes: 2 (100%)
Try other avenues - personal website / blog (No votes)
Total votes: 2

Forum concerns - what to do?

With the recent S&F forum being down (indefinitely?) and our recent issues here today got me really thinking about posting of forums.

I use forums for multiple reasons, mostly to find other like minded individuals who care for the same things I'm interested in as well as sharing information and things I've created. When these places start to go away what are you to do? I'm not necessarily a business (even though I do have my license) and I'm not trying to use forums as my number one market place, but mostly for the point of contact for other that may be interested.

I like to document and share the things I'm doing just as much as I like making them as well as getting feedback from others directly. If I'm not able to do that on forums what are the alternatives? My own personal website or start blogging?

So as much as I love it here and I read pretty much every comment and post that is done here daily, I'm really considering only the occasional post to add to the conversation and not starting anymore tutorial or build threads here anymore and finding other avenues to do such.

What do you guys think of this? I'm sure Thranduil has ran into this lately as well. Should I continue doing what I've been doing all these years or try something else? Your feedback is welcome in this decision.

Re: Forum concerns - what to do?

Andrew, I wish I could say with confidence that you are pulling the fire alarm prematurely, but you have a very valid point.

Essentially, we are caught up in a complicated arrangement with Justin. We are doing what we can to resolve that and go our own way, therefore ensuring the health and continued operation of this forum, but we are having some communication difficulties. The comment I made in the chat box has to do with the fact that, though we own this forum, we do not, for the time being, control the database or the server it is hosted on, therefore sometimes we are subject to these problems that we have little control over. As I said, we are seeking to redress that, but it may not be possible.

Does that mean mean people should stop posting or stampede for the exits? I sure hope not! We will be around for as long as we can keep the place going, and we would like for everyone to stick around.

Having said that, and witnessing firsthand the collapse of a community like the S&F, I would encourage anyone here who fears losing contact with friends, to create a thread and post a way in which you can be reached, be it your email or whatever else you are comfortable posting, and do so in the Members Only area for privacy reasons. This way, should the worst case scenario happen, we can at least remain in touch with one another.

N2, to answer you specifically, I'm afraid only you can make that decision. I certainly understand your concern in doing all that work in reporting progress and posting pictures, only to risk having it all disappear, but I honestly don't think this should stop you. It would deprive our community of being able to follow your talent and work, and it could very well set a precedent for other people to stop bothering to contribute to this forum,.and that would be the true tragedy.
Last edited by Valkrist on Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

N2, I agree with Aragorn on this one. I suggest a blog or some other means of documenting your work, then coming here, or anywhere, and post a link to that. The discussions would continue here just as easily. It's not so much that I think UCForums will go down permanently---the other mods, admins, and I wouldn't allow it. But it gives you the ability to present it exactly the way you'd like. It gives you a lot more freedom.

Someday I'd like to see UCForums offering more unique opportunities for us collectors and builders to allow for documenting projects such as yours. Perhaps even the ability for forum users to see which members blogs have been updated recently. As it stands right now, this isn't possible. We're also unable to backup data here on the forums---another thing we'll be fixing in the future.

As Val says, only you can decide something like this. The folks running this place completely understand your concerns, and I assure you we're working to address them.

I have to agree with what's already been said... And to also say that once the other owner's and have more control of the database/servers and look into some forum updates to the forum software... Ucforums will be even better than ever. Maybe we can look into hosting blogs,.getting mobile apps, etc.

We just ask for everyone's patience and faith!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I would also suggest a "backup", as that is just good business, but please don't cease to contribute to the conversation here and on the S+F, should it return! Your work, tutorials and creative input generate some of the most interesting discussions on both boards, and it would be a tragedy to lose your voice around here. I don't think that you will get as much e xp osure with a blog or even personal website as you will on a community forum like this; there are already people here, and many who stop in to just read without posting. You have an audience, whereas your own website might just float around in cyberspace unnoticed on its own. Look at Derek Smith, for example; after all these years of doing a ton of business on eBay and through message boards, his website is only just now up and, to my knowledge, he still requests that a lot of business be done via email because the site isn't fully set up. The bulk of his patronage is through communities like this where word spreads like wildfire.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Thanks everyone for responses, I do really appreciate it! And for the record I'm not going anywhere and won't stop what I'm doing, but will seek to find a place to house all of my info in one place. It will probably be in a blog as many have suggested and I have been thinking about doing it for sometime now. I think with the recent issues is best to start soon and if I ever plan to do more of this full time you can turn a blog into a ecommerce site.

As I spend most of my internet lurking on forums, I truly think it is the best way to find like minded people. I have made more friendships here than anywhere else (with the S&F being a close 2nd) and would definitely hate to loose that.

I have complete trust is our Administrators and mods to do everything in there power to keep our little corner of the internet safe and a wonderful place to spend time.

Thanks again everyone!

First off, I have not had a lot of time to frequent the forum so I am not completely aware of whatever problem occurred here recently.

Secondly, I get the impression that the S&F may have been permanently sucked into a black hole, lost forever, is this the case?

Just yesterday I mentioned to a friend that I needed to come in here and request the Handcrafted Items Thread be made public, due to S&F being down.

And now to N2's concerns here. My business will fold without these forums.
Orders from the S&F outnumbered orders from this forum mainly because the thread here is not public. People were able to find me quick through the S&F for reasons to numerous to e xp lain here.

There are a couple of customers(S&F) who never got in touch with me via direct email, they are now unable to contact me and completely cut off. They can't find me here because I requested the Handcrafted Items Thread be kept private. :viking: I need another happy face hitting myself over the head here.

My suggestion for email exchange would be a separate thread in members only. Pm's would probably be best, but apparently that was part of the problem here.

One thing I can say for sure, when I introduce Theoden's Helm I will be doing so in a public thread here. I cannot afford to have it go unnoticed to the world by putting it in the Handcrafted Items Thread.

As for a website, I had intended to do that, but I simply thought, why bother when I am swamped with orders through these 2 forums.

Losing old content is the least of my concerns, but I sympathize with N2 when it comes to "How To", threads. These are very time consuming.

Finally, if you know I do not have your email, send me one so you can go in my contact list warhorsearmory@gmail.com
Even if you think you may never place an order, but want to stay in touch in the event of a total crash.

I'm considering a mass email to all of you to request snail mail addresses from some of you as well. Just in case all electronic contact is cut off, especially if you have an order pending.

In summary, is the S&F permanently down?
I automatically lost more sales than I can count if that is the case.

I need administration here at the UCF to consider making the Handcrafted Items Thread public for the future of my businesses survival.
This forum will see a surge in new members when I get Theoden's helm posted (due to a bot program in Google images), as long as it is available to the public in here.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I skimmed through the replies, so I don't know if I'm just repeating what someone else is saying - but here's my thoughts.

I would personally go for a website. Make it nice and easy to navigate and you will be able to document your work and even offer things for sale if you want to go down that route. You could even do a website with a blog feature if you prefer so you can post updates on builds. Look at Squarespace. My portfolio site is through them. I would try before you buy because the templates aren't for everyone, but it's something to consider :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “Other Discussions”