Some Days Just Aren't Right

Well, today my employer made yet another round of staff cuts and moves (the third in 18 months). And this one was really big, representing 16% of our total employees: 262 outsourced positions and 71 more positions eliminated. So many dedicated and talented people . . . many of whom I've been honored to work with for 10, 15, 20, or even 25 or 30 years. I'm equal parts numb, angry, relieved (because I and my immediate work group were spared), and sad beyond words. It's like losing family.

Some days just aren't right and can never be made so. Today was one of those days. :'(

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Some Days Just Aren't Right

Buckeye wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm Well, today my employer made yet another round of staff cuts and moves (the third in 18 months). And this one was really big, representing 16% of our total employees: 262 outsourced positions and 71 more positions eliminated. So many dedicated and talented people . . . many of whom I've been honored to work with for 10, 15, 20, or even 25 or 30 years. I'm equal parts numb, angry, relieved (because I and my immediate work group were spared), and sad beyond words. It's like losing family.

Some days just aren't right and can never be made so. Today was one of those days. :'(
I am always sorry to hear stories like that. It sucks....no other way to describe it. I would say that some days you might as well stay in bed but sadly, sooner or later you have to get up and face it.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Some Days Just Aren't Right

My [now, former] work group sweats this constantly.
The lab is considered a "service organization" and upper management is always trying to outsource the service the lab provides.
Every year they have to justify their worth to the company.
I'm glad I'm out of it, but I feel for my former co-workers (some of whom I am friends with and maintain contact), and also for anyone subjected to this kind upheaval in their lives. :angry: :'(

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Other Discussions”