Sutton Hoo Helm Replica

As everyone here knows, I'm both a history geek and a huge fan of all things Rohirrim. The Rohirrim culture and its related ME material culture was heavily influenced by Anglo Saxon cultural artifacts, including the wealth of items discovered at Sutton Hoo (another fascination of mine, both historically and archaeologically). The helm found at Sutton Hoo is particularly spectacular.

There's a new replica of the Sutton Hoo Helm, and I must admit that I'm VERY tempted to purchased It. EXTREMELY tempted. Take a look . . . :O http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... auge+Steel

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Re: Sutton Hoo Helm Replica

Go for it. Price is not unreasonable even if you have to save a few months for it.

I was unfamiliar with this helm and its history, and also wanted to see a pic of the original.
For anyone else who is curious ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Ho ... andinavian

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

GuardianWolf wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:27 am Looks pretty nifty, Buckeye! My only hesitation is with KOA. I had some nasty interactions with that particular site some years back. Price might be good, but if you could buy elsewhere, I'd highly recommend doing so...Especially with something so pricey and intricate...

Just my two cents!
I browse their site often, but have never purchased anything from KOA. I appreciate the advice and will certainly keep it in mind. I'm trying to resist the temptation to buy the helm. So far so good.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: I bought a couple of UC items from them many years ago and had no issues, but that means nothing really, if only to say that perhaps they are not consistently bad? :huh:
I too made several purchases from them way back when and had no troubles. It was only the most recent purchase when their owner got into a yelling match with me over the phone.

Long story short (so folks don't have to go digging through threads to find it), they knowingly sent me a damaged Sauron Helm and got annoyed when I called them out on it. Owner was incredibly unprofessional about the whole thing.

As you've said, Val, it's likely inconsistent. I'm sure that if Buckeye made the purchase it'd probably be fine, but I felt obligated to give the word of warning in case there were other options.

Return to “Other Discussions”