Sword Maintenance

Hi guys. Just curious, how do you all keep your swords taken care of as far as protection from rust? I know replicas are mostly low-maintenance stainless steel and not high-carbon steel but there's still the chance for damage. Is there any special oil you all use? Gun oil or even motor oil should work fine right? And before oiling, do you clean your blades with any kind of lubricant like say Ballistol for example or possibly even just soap and water followed by a thorough drying?

Re: Sword Maintenance

Can't speak for others, and Kit Rae will have the best sage advice possible on this question, but personally I give them a wipe with a dry cloth first to remove any dust, then I spray the blade down with WD40 and work it in with a square of leather chamois. Depending on the humidity level where you live, it pays to keep your collection in a ventilated area, and if that is not possible, invest in a dehumidifier that will cover at least the room your stuff is in. You can also opt for Renaissance Wax for an added layer of protection, but if you have a lot of swords to do, be prepared to be sore very fast.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 pm Can't speak for others, and Kit Rae will have the best sage advice possible on this question, but personally I give them a wipe with a dry cloth first to remove any dust, then I spray the blade down with WD40 and work it in with a square of leather chamois. Depending on the humidity level where you live, it pays to keep your collection in a ventilated area, and if that is not possible, invest in a dehumidifier that will cover at least the room your stuff is in. You can also opt for Renaissance Wax for an added layer of protection, but if you have a lot of swords to do, be prepared to be sore very fast.
Sounds good. Thanks, Val👍

I live in a dry area so I should be good as far as humidity. I'll check out that Renaissance Wax for sure.

I've tried many various combinations over the years for my different blades. For the LOTR stainless swords I second Val's advice.

What I personally do for preventative protection:

1) Wipe blade down with 100% cotton cloth to remove dust / dirt.
2) Apply oil either on the blade or spray on a different 100% cotton cloth.
3) Wipe down using the second 100% cotton cloth (harder to clean, lighter to protect).
4) Make sure there's a very thin oil coating left on the blade.
5) Repeat every 3-6 months depending where you live.

*I've tried different oils over the years as well. Most have just been gun cleaning oil. Next i'll try the Rust Blocker from Windlass or Hanwei's oil.

*Since most of my collection is now in storage or I don't get to maintain as often... I actually switched over to Ren Wax. It forms a sealant layer on the blade requiring less maintenance (what some Museums use for their blades). This would replace steps # 2 - 4. Key is to make sure the blade is as clean and dry as possible before you apply the Wax. Then must buff it until clear. This should last 1 - 2 years from my experience (again, depending on location).
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Jash wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:04 am I've tried many various combinations over the years for my different blades. For the LOTR stainless swords I second Val's advice.

What I personally do for preventative protection:

1) Wipe blade down with 100% cotton cloth to remove dust / dirt.
2) Apply oil either on the blade or spray on a different 100% cotton cloth.
3) Wipe down using the second 100% cotton cloth (harder to clean, lighter to protect).
4) Make sure there's a very thin oil coating left on the blade.
5) Repeat every 3-6 months depending where you live.

*I've tried different oils over the years as well. Most have just been gun cleaning oil. Next i'll try the Rust Blocker from Windlass or Hanwei's oil.

*Since most of my collection is now in storage or I don't get to maintain as often... I actually switched over to Ren Wax. It forms a sealant layer on the blade requiring less maintenance (what some Museums use for their blades). This would replace steps # 2 - 4. Key is to make sure the blade is as clean and dry as possible before you apply the Wax. Then must buff it until clear. This should last 1 - 2 years from my experience (again, depending on location).
Good stuff, Jash. Thanks.

I'm liking that Ren Wax more and more. Mainly because I have a habit of touching the blades. And I know once they're displayed, everyone else will want to touch the blades too. It'd be nicer to not have to use oil all the time and not need to wash your hands every time you pick up one of them.

Anytime.
If there's going to be constant blade touching - RenWax might not be the best way to go... I've noticed after touching a blade coated in RenWax it still leaves a smudge, which you'll need to wipe / polish out again. If that's the case - I might go the cleaning / gun / sword oil route instead. It's much easier for constant maintenance. My recommendation would be, no matter which cleaner you use, it's good practice to clean a blade after any direct contact with fingers :)

Personally, I just tell everyone in advance when they come to see my collection that they cannot touch the blades. It's that simple. I'll allow one to come off the wall to be handled if I absolutely must, but only by the hilt. If they don't like it, too bad. :club:
This Space for Rent

Haha I tell them the same thing. When I worked in a sword store for 5 years, our first 2 lines were:
1. "Please do not touch the blade."
2. "Please do not swing it in the store."
Which stopped half of customers lol. So got into the habit of saying the same thing to friends when they come over.
My favourite is whey they say "Don't worry, i'm not going to cut myself." to which my reply is "I don't care about your finger, I care about my sword."

Hahaha.

I have to admit I myself am the biggest offender of touching the blades. Well, I should say I was when I was first buying but now I've kind of learned to stop doing that :thumbs_up . But when I did, I always wiped the blades down before putting them away☝

Return to “Other Discussions”