Wand finishing

Starting a new thread to ask for some advice from any members that have experience working with wood and finishing wood pieces.

I’ve recently made four wands on a lathe. I used boiled linseed oil to enhance the colours of the wood - one of them was painted for a different finish. The main question I want to ask is what’s the best way to finish them past that point? They will be handled somewhat frequently, but I want them to be durable. The painted wand I have clear coated with an acrylic matte so that should be pretty durable but is it worth applying that to the other wands that have a more natural finish?

I’ve made four in total so far, two of them I used boiled linseed oil and beeswax. That was a finish I read about. I’m aware that it requires frequent waxing. The fourth wand is being oiled currently and it’s my favourite of the bunch, but before I go ahead and make a final decision I want to know what you guys think is the best way to move forward. Bees wax or clear coat? Or another finish you recommend beyond those two options.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “Other Discussions”