Re: Denis Villeneuve's Dune

No, you'll have to tell me what that moment was as I've been wondering about it.

The one that threw me off was the lingering look that Jessica gave Paul as he was stripping down to put on his stillsuit. This was followed by a return glance that Paul gave back at Jessica once she turned away and began to undress as well. It was awkward and not a little uncomfortable, prompting my wife to ask me after if there was some kind of incestuous undertone to their relationship. I don't recall anything of the sort in the book, so I said no. I thought it was more to do with her realization that he seemed vulnerable still, but he was no longer a boy now, but a man?

I'm rather curious as to what DV was trying to convey there because, of course, the internet tongues are a'wagging already over it.
This Space for Rent

I’ve got my tickets for Dune later today. I’ll let you know my thoughts after I’ve had time to process it. It’s been a long time since I was at the cinema, I think the last time was when I saw The Rise of Skywalker in January 2020.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:41 pm Out of curiosity, does UC have plans for any other Dune replicas?
Duncan's long sword is next, and hopefully his short sword after that. I want to do another version of the Crysknife Paul used at the end, but with the sheath instead of the display this time, but that may have to wait for part 2, if UC wants to do it. I wanted to do the sheath originally, but we could not get any images or props of the sheath until it was too late. Had we known the movie would get bumped back a year, we would have waited.

I would love to do that Sardaukar sword too, but that depends how Duncan's swords sell.
KRDS

I’m down for Duncan’s swords. I want to get the crysknife too - not sure when it’ll be available here in the UK.

Are you allowed to share any of your product shots Kit and any teases for the Duncan sword?

I keep thinking about Dune today. I need to see it again. I really enjoyed it and seeing it on the big screen was an amazing experience. The soundtrack was amazing and deafening in parts but it added to the experience for me.

I’m blown away and don’t quite know how to process it haha

Lindir wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:07 am I’m down for Duncan’s swords. I want to get the crysknife too - not sure when it’ll be available here in the UK.

Are you allowed to share any of your product shots Kit and any teases for the Duncan sword?
The first run of Paul's Crysknives are all sold, so it probably won't be until early next year when more start shipping. I did not even get one.

I have had the CAD drawings for Duncan's sword done for nearly a year now, but UC did not even approve it until the day before Dune Part II was given the green light, so they don't have a prototype made yet. The good news is that Duncan's swords, and the Atreides swords in general, are all simple and inexpensive to make, so the price should be reasonable compared to LOTR.

I can see UC making more Crysknives later too, like Stilgar's, but that will probably be when part II is released. They are all similar in shape, but the engraved designs and lettering engraved in the hilts is different on each.
KRDS

Saw it again and loved it more. It’s definitely something to be enjoyed at the cinema, I really love the cast, the story, the world building and of course the music. Im excited for part 2.

Also it reaffirms me being 100% down for Duncan’s swords. Hopefully the Dune line will do well and we can have a few different items from movies. Would UC ever be allowed to do helmets? There’s a couple of helmets in the movie that I’d love to get replicas of.

Olorin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:04 pm The press release about the Dune Blu-ray release is being reported in various places today. This will include a bunch of featurettes, but notably absent from any of the articles is any mention of a gallery of deleted scenes.
Of course. :rolleye:

I honestly don't know what some directors have against deleted scenes. Or maybe this is a prelude and ploy to the ol' double dip game. Gotta say though, now that streaming has taken root, the days of 15 different releases/versions/editions/etc on physical media of each movie are long over... unless you're LOTR, of course.
This Space for Rent

I immediately thought of the double dip. And I have no doubt there will be a double dip or triple dip. Once the second movie comes out (or the third, if he goes ahead with Dune Messiah), there will undoubtedly be a box set. I think Warner (the releasing studio for Dune) did a box set every time there was a new Harry Potter movie, LOL. I know they also did at least one box set before all seasons of Game of Thrones were out. So we may get a box after Part 2 and another one after Messiah. So, plenty of opportunities for deleted scenes.

Unless of course Villeneuve has embargoed them. He's famously against director's cuts but I have not heard the same about deleted scenes. Considering how he said it pained him to cut the scene with Gurney and his baliset, I'd think he'd want to get these out there. But who knows?

I wonder how double-dipping will get translated for the streaming/download era. For those who actually buy downloads (is that a thing?), obviously the studio could keep coming up with souped-up versions of the movie. I have not yet heard about any extra features being made available for streaming or download, however.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I do know that not every version of a movie is always available on streaming, or at least not for free. Commonly, it tends to be the original theatrical release that a service has paid the rights for, and that's usually about it.

Take my recent example of wanting to watch the Director's Cut of Troy (the one with Brad Pitt). I have that version on DVD but with on a 75" 4K screen, it's going to suffer. Off I went to find it in one of my three streaming services, and though it is an old movie now and you'd expect to not have to pay for it, Amazon Prime only has the TE for free. The DC is available, but for a premium. I also felt like watching the DC of Black Hawk Down the other day (Scott's movies are famous for being far superior in the DC version) and again, only the TE was available. Luckily the 4K disc was going for fairly cheap on Amazon (oh the irony) so I opted for a permanent copy rather than pay for something impermanent.

Then you have services like Disney+, where when it comes to stuff like Star Wars, only the latest, Lucas-tinkered version, is available for viewing and nothing else.
This Space for Rent

WB are definitely going to double dip and make other versions available later. Villeneuve is opposed to extended cuts of his films - since the released version are his directors cuts - but he is not opposed to deleted scenes. He has included them on past disks, so those will come out eventually. My guess (including a bit of insider info) is that there will be a deluxe release of Dune Part 1 that includes some of those deleted scenes prior to part 2 being released in cinemas.
KRDS

Return to “Media”