Robot goes rogue

As one wag put it: "So much for Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics"
Robot breaks kid's finger
jeez louise....look how many adults it takes to free the kid! Damn scary! :O
Sergey Lazarev, the president of the Moscow Chess Federation said, “The robot broke the child’s finger," and then added, "This is of course bad.”
Ya think? omg what an understatement. Shades of Colossus!

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Robot goes rogue

Did the kid actually cheat?
I read that he went to move his piece too soon.
Now, if he did that deliberately knowing it was breaking the rules, well, that is when the robot should hit the kid with the Gort Super Destructo Ray Beam.
Gort (Mile marker 1:28)
But if the kid was just over-anxious (and what kid isn't?) then he didn't deserve the half nelson the robot put him in.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 am Maybe the kid shouldn't have tried to cheat. :laugh:

If he'd been a Wookie, the situation would have played out differently (bonus points to whomever gets the reference).
Arms pulled off!

I'd have gotten the reference under any circumstances, but I just watched Solo last night and will be watching A New Hope tonight.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I guess one morale of the story is, if you're in the vicinity of a large industrial robot with "fingers" designed to grip small objects (like a chess piece...or finger), watch where you put your fingers...even if it's your turn!

I saw a video on YouTube a few months ago where a roboticist was explaining that Asimov's laws were garbage. His point was that they were far too general to put into practice. I was like, give me a break, Asimov was a novelist, not a programmer. His gripes were about how much coding it would take and how difficult it would be. What is a human? Does a child count? Does a dead person count? In other words, what should the robot be expected to obey and protect. Of course, how better to get clicks on your video than to attack the most famous name ever associated with robots?

I stand by Asimov on this one. The concept is good (especially with the Zeroth Law). It just sounded to me like the programmer was expressing anxiety over his own insufficiencies.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Media”