Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie

Have no doubts that if the first one does well, they'll make more. There's nothing Hollywood likes better than a sequel.

Yeah, for some reason I've never gotten around to reading the books. I suppose I could justify that the way a friend once justified not reading any of Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" books--if people are still talking about them in 20 years, then I'll read them. A less flip answer might be that I know they're supposed to be humorous, but humor is such an individual thing, and what other people find funny, I often don't. Plus, I usually find things with a built-in following off-putting. I might not have ever read LOTR if one of my teachers hadn't recommended it. And I sure would never have gotten into Star Trek if I hadn't gotten in at the ground level.

But, we'll see what happens with "Hitchhiker's Guide." ;)
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I decided I wanted to see it, and Ive never read the books. Though Olorin1s review will probly be better and more intelligent, Il still say my bit. I thought it was good, but not great. Infact, im still processing how much I liked it, but I defintly do not not like it (double negative). The story line was unique, and somtimes hard to follow, but it wasnt great, it wasnt as good as I might have thought. The comedy was pretty good, its kinda silly, but I think there coulda been more added. The acting was pretty good, the script was written well, the special effects were pretty good. I thought Allen Rickmans Robotic character was pretty funny, and I didnt recognise John Malkoviches character at first. Anyways, Id watch a sequal if it was made
-wormtongue
Do you have the maniacs, or the schizophrenics, or the astrophysicists in your family?

OK, I saw it. Like Grima Wormtongue, I'm still processing it. However, I was rather underwhelmed. Essentially, its goal was to be a comedy, and that's the genre that's the hardest sell for me--something has to strike me just right for me to find it funny. As such, I found this to be a movie of smiles and chuckles, but very few out-loud laughs.

Also, I found myself evaluating/analyzing set design, makeup, costume design, effects, etc. Obviously, this movie never fully pulled me in, but left me skimming along the surface. That said, I was able to appreciate it somewhat at that level, admiring the craft.

So, while I'm not sorry I saw it, I feel no great desire ever to read the book. On the other hand, I probably will watch the VHS set of the 1981 BBC miniseries that a friend gave me 2 Christmases ago (and occasionally harps about because I haven't watched it yet--but hey, I usually have a substantial backlog of new DVDs I haven't watched yet!).
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Media”