Order Of The Phoenix

I saw the Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phoenix teaser trailer on Yahoo movies the other day. Having just read the book, it was good to be able to recognise certain scenes and have a piture in your head of what a character is going to look like. I think the casting of Imelda Staunton as Umbridge is excellent, she will make the charater as infuriating on screen as she is on the page.

I recommend that if you like the Potter films and are really looking forward to this film, go and have a look at it. I can't wait to see it now!

Re: Order Of The Phoenix

The book was great, but I have been very critical of the series ever since the PoA came out. The change of directors through me around and they threw continuity out the window. I am hoping that TOoTF will be similar to the last film.

As always though, I do not judge something until I have seen it... so I have high hopes. :)
Valar morghulis

OK, I saw it yesterday. Here are my thoughts. Warning: spoilers ahead!

I have never read any of the books. Initially, I just wasn't interested. Now that I've been seeing the movies and liking them, I will probably read the books someday, but after the final movie is out. I always find that I enjoy an adaptation better if I have not read the source book--in other words, I'm not seeing it as an adaptation, but just as a movie.

Now, on to Order of the Phoenix. It had a very different feel from the previous 4. With a different director AND (for the first time) a different screenwriter, that was unavoidable. Since the subject of this movie is darker, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. What I noticed that was not that great is that new characters got little or no character development (like Nymphedora and Bellatrix) and that returning characters (like Lupin and Mad Eye) had very little to do. Also, though these stories usually have a tendency to introduce some creature or thing solely to be useful later, this one seemed even more so with Hagrid's brother and the Thestrals.

As far as changes from the book, I haven't read it, but obviously when you take the longest book and make the shortest movie, a lot is going to fall by the wayside. I think what has bothered some people more than the omissions were the changes. Someone commented on the Dementors. Since I haven't read the books, I don't know how there were portrayed there, but the new movie depicted them looking a bit different than the third movie did. It wasn't necessarilty a huge difference--it look like they just didn't have their hoods pulled up. This made them look more skeletal or even alien (think H. R. Giger) and quite a bit scarier to me. I'm also told the big battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore was an invention of the movie. It looked cool, though, and by showing that not even Dumbledore can defeat Voldemort one-on-one, it sets up the final confrontation to come between Harry and Voldemort to be even more scary.

I was tense throughout this movie, whereas in the others, I didn't feel tense til around the end. The early attack by the Dementors set the tone, and then the Orwellian behavior of the Ministry continued it. I HATED Umbridge! Imelda Staunton did a great job playing the character described as one of the most hated in the Potter stories. I liked her kitty plates though!

All in all, I'm still digesting the movie and trying to decide how I'd rank it against the others. I liked each of the others better than its immediate predecessor; i.e., I felt that the movies were getting continually better. It will be a while before I can decide if this continues to be the case. In the mean time, I will look forward to seeing the 3-D rendition of this one at an IMAX theater.

Oh incidentally, the theater where we saw this now charges only $3 for a matinee. Of course, it's 60 miles away and we spend the difference on gas, but this theater has a tremendous sound system.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I saw it yesterday as well, and agree with many of your thoughts, Olorin. The introduction of new characters like Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt seemed to be present simply for the sake of it, whilst returning characters had next to nothing to do (especially Lupin and Mad-Eye, as you mentioned). I can't be the only one noticing that Tom Felton and Alan Rickman also (Draco and Snape respectively) have increasingly little to do. I find this both disturbing and a little odd, considering the films have the tendency to foreshadow forthcoming events (one may have noted the look Ginny gave Harry when he approached Cho in the Room of Requirement, for example...), and with the dwindling screen-time these two are receiving, those who haven't read the books may be surprised by how important these figures remain to the story, particularly in the next movie.

The other major thing that irked me, which I suppose it quite considerable, is the choices they made concerning the computer generated characters/beasts.
I feel kind of indifferent towards the Dementors. They certainly did look more frightening, but at the same time, I saw no reason to change their appearance from the third film.
Before seeing the film, the prospect of seeing Grawp hadn't even dawned on me. Considering how short the film is, and how much content they've cut, it was very surprising to see him in there. I would rather that time had be allotted for more scenes with Sirius and other members of the Order, or perhaps some Quidditch.
Next is Kreacher. For the life of me, I can't understand why they included him in the film, and then didn't use him in his most important role from the book! He is perhaps one of the key characters in the fifth book because of what he tells Harry. I can only assume that will be a deleted scene in the extra features of the DVD, otherwise they might as well have wasted their money bringing Dobby back, and having him tell Harry about the Room of Requirement like he does in the book, instead of having Neville stumble across it.
I did like the Thestrals however. They were a nice inclusion I thought, as they're linked to Cedric's death in the previous film in that Harry can see them because of that event, and also just because it was cool to see them flying through London!

I suppose that's a lot of negatives, but there were definitely some positives to be taken from this film as well.
As per usual, they got the casting spot on with Imelda Staunton as Umbridge. Her little 'hem hem' was just as harrowing as you would e xp ect from reading the book. Also, Helena Bonham Carter (from what little you see of her), was just as crazy-looking as one would e xp ect after spending a decade and a half in Azkaban.
I also liked the Ministry of Magic scenes, be it Harry's trial or the fight in the Department of Mysteries. That's my favourite part of the book, and while it could have been better, it certainly wasn't bad. I just wish they had made a 3 hour film for a change, especially with this one, the longest book by quite a margin, so they could have taken the time to really e xp lore the Department like they do in the book.

Concerning the scene at the end, I'm not sure who told you that, Olorin, but the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort is definitely not an invention of the movie. It was one of my most anticipated scenes actually, so I was quite disappointed with how it panned out. That scene reminded me a little too much of how they made Gandalf look like a bit of a wimp in front of the Witchking in the extended version of the Return of the King. I know these books pretty much inside and out, and as I recall, Dumbledore appears practically effortless in his deflection of Voldemort's killing curses in the novel. And if effortless is a bit exaggerated, he's certainly not outdone like it appears he is in the film.

All in all, this one was a bit of a let down I think, especially because the fifth is my favourite book. Like the Goblet of Fire, there's a lot of content and not enough time to fit it all in, but unlike GoF, they didn't do as good a job with the time they had. The new characters were basically useless, and most of the scenes were just too short to capture your interest. It's time they stopped catering to kids, and make longer, more detailed films that don't feel as rushed as these last two have. They should have been 3 hour minimums, and yet we get a little over 2. Unacceptable. To me, they're killing the story so they can go easy on those who are too young to understand it all, and that is super sad to me.

Coincidentally, I also went to a matinee showing, though wasn't quite as fortunate with the price. $7.50, as opposed to the usual $9.00. I'd like to contribute that to mall overhead, but it's likely they'd get away with those prices anyway :rolleye:

I went and saw it a IMAX theatre and was a little disappointed. From what i remembered of IMAX of my youth was nothing of what i saw. I went in e xp ecting a circular screen panning a 180' view and what i got a screen have the width of a normal and about twice as high but on a good note the sound and picture quality was the greatest and really made the scenes POP. As for the 3D part of it, it was only 5 minutes worth really and was at the end during the flying scene and battle.

Olorin and Flame... you guys nailed this one for me. I could add a lot more to say but I won't. As someone who is currently considering entering into film and after taking many film related courses, I think they could have done a better job incorporating some more character development and structure to the story. I felt like I was standing on the side of the railway tracks, eagerly awaiting the film and then all of a sudden, each car is just a blur, jumping onto the next one until it finally ended.

I would like to add the girl who played Luna Lovegood, did a terrific job playing her character and I don't think they could have picked anyone better. She did such a tremendous job and she really stands tall and proud with the rest of the great actors... whos talents are somewhat wasted in this film.

I was told at work from a Harry Potter fan that the only reason they added Kreacher was because Rowling read the script and said that if they didn't introduce him now, they would be screwed for the 7th film. I don't know if that is a rumour or the truth, but its possible that he has some role to play in the 7th book whether it be little or small.

Maybe 2.5 stars out of 5? :|

I've lost faith in this film series. They lost it during the 3rd film and they haven't been able to recover.
Last edited by Thorin on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valar morghulis

I saw the film on Thursday morning and I must say that barring some parts of the book that I really wanted to see, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have also heard the story about Kreacher and the need to introduce him now, it could be that he is significant in book 7, we'll have to wait until the 21st to find out I suppose.

I did notice that during the Voldemort/Dumbledore fight that Dumbledore did seem to struggle and I do remember reading that he doesn't even break a sweat! I would have liked to have seen the Statue of the wizard that steps between Harry and Voldemort at Dumbledore's magical command and also I would have liked to have seen Fawkes' interception of the Killing Curse simply as it could have looked very good on screen.

All in all, I'll be going back to see it again because it's great escapism!

Deadlit wrote:I went and saw it a IMAX theatre and was a little disappointed. From what i remembered of IMAX of my youth was nothing of what i saw. I went in e xp ecting a circular screen panning a 180' view and what i got a screen have the width of a normal and about twice as high but on a good note the sound and picture quality was the greatest and really made the scenes POP. As for the 3D part of it, it was only 5 minutes worth really and was at the end during the flying scene and battle.
What you are remembering is an Omnimax screen. A conventional IMAX is just flat and big. I've only once been in an Omnimax, in St. Louis, and it was pretty all-encompassing.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Media”