Re: The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials)

Interesting. Interesting indeed. It would appear that you are quite right about this being the Golden Age of fantasy. Lord of The Rings started it. Narnia followed in its wake, Eragon attempted to follow suit. There was also Pan's Labyrinth, which I have yet to see and now we have The Golden Compass. I should also mention that the other two major fantasy series have been given similar fates. The Sword of Truth series is to become a mini-series and A Song of Ice and Fire is to become a TV series produced by HBO.

This film looks great from the teaser and I do look forward to seeing it, though I would prefer to read the book first. We used to have it somewhere in this house, but I fear it was given away. :(
Valar morghulis

Pan's Labyrinth was very cool. I saw it in the theater and got the DVD last week.

I have a policy regarding movies made from books. If I haven't already read the book, I won't read it until after I see the movie. The book is invariably better, so I if I wait to read it, I won't spoil my enjoyment of the movie by having preconceptions from the book. That's a luxury I didn't have for LOTR, but it is serving me well for Harry Potter and Narnia, and I suspect it will for HDM also.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

This is one of my favourite series, so I have high hopes that the film will do justice to the book. The teaser looks as though they're going in the right direction. I think people who haven't read the series will be pleasantly surprised by what if has to offer. It doesn't rival the likes of Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings in terms of fame, but it does in content I think. An excellent story.

AH ha! I found the book. It was sitting in plain sight on my brothers shelf. :D

As much as I can see the benefits of enjoying the film before reading the book, I think that I will read it first this time. I can see the films as a separate entity as long as they do not deviate from the original story line too much. I have to finish the Sword of Truth series before I can jump into The Golden Compass though and The Deathly Hallows will disturb that in July. Although I have a good feeling that I may end up spending my Saturday reading... all Saturday.
Valar morghulis

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three books. I love his writing style and he is very descriptive about the world he has created. His only downfall in my view is that he tends to rehash the same story over and over again to no end. At the end of every book, everything comes together nicely, a bit rushed, and then we are introduced with some new problem that stems from the old one. I am currently half way through Soul of The Fire. I'm not sure what he has planned for the last book, but I think he would have been better off capping the series off at the original 3 or at least 6.
Valar morghulis

I agree about the repeating :angry: I find it quite annoying really, as the series starts off so well. I'm kind of tired of Richard and Kahlan being seperated, or in some great peril, and it all working out at the end.

I do enjoy his writing though, and I think he has some of the most interesting examples of prophecy in his books. I'm typically not a fan of it, as it's usually used as a way for an author to e xp lain something that they haven't thought about properly, but TG uses it to good effect I feel.

Persevere though, as the next book, Faith of the Fallen, is probably my favourite of the series. I'm not sure what you'll make of the book after it, but things get a bit better once you hit the Chainfire trilogy. I'm looking forward to Confessor this November, just so there's some closure to what has been a very long story.

Yes, A Song of Ice and Fire is a different kettle of fish entirely. I find Martin's books similar to Stephen King's, in that there's nothing else quite like them. I never really "got into" this series as I have with others, but I'm certainly going to continue reading it. Perhaps if I give the books another read through, I'll become a little more attached. That's something that can be a little difficult though, since you never know who's going to die next :P
Still, a Feast for Crows left a bit to be desired with the way it was split up, so I'll look forward to finding out what happened to the no-show characters in the fifth book (A Dance with Dragons, is it called?).

His Dark Materials is excellent I think. Pullman has thought up a lot of interesting concepts, and again, his fantasy is quite different, especially from examples like ASoIaF, SoT, and even Jordan's Wheel of Time (which I'm having a hard time getting in to - to many similarities/references to the Lord of the Rings in the first book I thought).

Return to “Media”