Terminator Salvation

A new Terminator movie is being filmed, staring Batman himself, Christian Bale as John Connor. The teaser for this movie is attached the The Dark Knight.

Set in post-apocalyptic 2018, John Connor (Christian Bale), the man fated to be the leader of the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators, and the future he was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a Terminator whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they find out a terrible secret that may lead to the possible annihilation of mankind.

This will also be the first Terminator movie not to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as the T-800 model 101, because as we all know, he is the govenor of California, but he granted the Halcyon Company permission to use his likeness in the film. The Austrian-born Roland Kickinger previously played Schwarzenegger in a 2005 biographical film on the A&E Network.

I didnt even realize they were making another terminator movie.

Re: Terminator Salvation

Yes, they are. It's supposed to be out next May. It was originally called Terminator 4, which was just a working title. Then it was named, more or less officially Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins. Than name met with a pretty big Ugh! from fans, and for a while it was again just called Terminator 4. More recently, it's back to Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, or at least Terminator Salvation.

This is the first time I've read any synopsis of what it's about. Hopefully by next May, I'll have forgotten the synopsis.

It's interesting to see that it's supposedly set in 2018. I thought it would follow more or less immediately upon the events of T3, which was set in 2004. Hmmm, Wikipedia says the new one is set in 2021, so who knows? Anyway, Clare Danes is not returning as Kate for some reason; Bryce Dallas Howard (of The Village/Lady in the Water fame) is stepping into the role. Also, Anton Yelchin, who's playing Chekov in the new Star Trek flick, is playing Kyle Reese in this movie. It should be interesting.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I didn't exactly get chillls, but I was glad that it was actually attached. So many times, you hear that such and such is attached to such and such, and it turns out not to be the case. Theater owners sometimes mix-and-match the trailers and movies.

This will be an interesting Terminator due to the absence of Arnold. I think the TV series has prepared us for that—we can accept that it's a Terminator show without Schwarzenegger. Perhaps they will also get away from the trademark one-liners that he had. I think ditching those would be a good thing. Considering how forced they often were, to have a new character doing them would seem even more forced, to me anyway.

It's interesting to see that this new movie is being positioned at least partially as a reboot of the franchise. Personally I didn't think it needed a reboot, but apparently there were enough people dissatisifed with T3 that the powers that be wanted to try something different. Also, there's the Batman effect—Batman Begins was a reboot and just happened to be a really good movie, so every franchise wants to try that trick out on its own. So, franchises that maybe didn't really need a reboot, like Terminator, are getting one, alongside franchises that desperately needed one, like Star Trek.

Yes, it's being directed by McG (what a bizarre name), who directed the Charlies Angels: Full Throttle flick.

Doubt we'll see any TXs, unless the plot still involves sending Terminators back in time. In the teaser, it looks like some early-model terminator coming at him in the end.

Yep, saw the trailer and liked it a lot. Got a good feeling about this one. Pity that there isn't some way to get a young Arnie in there to reprise his original role! How cool would it be to see that T-800 coming at you again, and the bad*** one from the first movie too, not the softie from the sequels? Ah, the memories! :)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yep, saw the trailer and liked it a lot. Got a good feeling about this one. Pity that there isn't some way to get a young Arnie in there to reprise his original role! How cool would it be to see that T-800 coming at you again, and the bad*** one from the first movie too, not the softie from the sequels? Ah, the memories! :) [/quote]

Well, they've tried to figure out a way for a Schwarzenegger cameo almost as hard as JJ and Co tried to figure out a way to get Shatner in the new Star Trek movie. In Ahnold's case, it would be very easy, if they don't mind risking a collision of reality and film. All they need to do is show a weatherbeaten billboard with a picture of Gov. Schwarzenegger. There was an ad campaign a few years ago, trying to attract talented professionals to California. It had his picture and said "Arnold Schwarzenegger wants you in California. Actually, he pronounces it Kahleeforneeah."

Of course, some would think any appearance of Ahnold in the movie would demean the Governor's position. Personally, I don't think he has to worry about that, unless he decides to sell a vacant Senate seat. :|

[quote=""Olorin""]
Of course, some would think any appearance of Ahnold in the movie would demean the Governor's position. Personally, I don't think he has to worry about that, unless he decides to sell a vacant Senate seat. :| [/quote]

Hogwash. They could at least have his "body" displayed in an arsenal of "older" Terminator models.

Because this is a family-friendly site, I won't post a link to this, but did you guys hear the absolutely freaking over the top, gone ballistic tirade that Christian Bale unleashed on the hapless DP of Terminator Salvation? It hit the news yesterday, though it happened months ago. The DP wandered into the background of a shot somehow, and Bale just verbally, viciously ripped him a new one for four straight minutes. I mean, he was totally non-linear.

Bale is a good enough actor, but between that and the assault charges (against family members, no less), the guy is now vying with Russell Crowe as the biggest prima donna/jerk in the business. Crowe has a theory that he owes the audience his best when he's in front of the camera but owes nobody anything when he's not in front of it and can therefore act as obnoxiously as he pleases. It sounds like Bale probably thinks about the same thing. Well, I've got news for them. Nobody is so good in front of the camera that behavior such as Bale's to that crew member should be tolerated. If I didn't want to see this movie so bad, I'd seriously think about boycotting it.

And because people DO want to see the movie so bad, people like Bale get away with this sort of unprofessional, abhorrent behavior. Sigh.

[quote=""Olorin""]Because this is a family-friendly site, I won't post a link to this, but did you guys hear the absolutely freaking over the top, gone ballistic tirade that Christian Bale unleashed on the hapless DP of Terminator Salvation? It hit the news yesterday, though it happened months ago. The DP wandered into the background of a shot somehow, and Bale just verbally, viciously ripped him a new one for four straight minutes. I mean, he was totally non-linear.

Bale is a good enough actor, but between that and the assault charges (against family members, no less), the guy is now vying with Russell Crowe as the biggest prima donna/jerk in the business. Crowe has a theory that he owes the audience his best when he's in front of the camera but owes nobody anything when he's not in front of it and can therefore act as obnoxiously as he pleases. It sounds like Bale probably thinks about the same thing. Well, I've got news for them. Nobody is so good in front of the camera that behavior such as Bale's to that crew member should be tolerated. If I didn't want to see this movie so bad, I'd seriously think about boycotting it.

And because people DO want to see the movie so bad, people like Bale get away with this sort of unprofessional, abhorrent behavior. Sigh.[/quote]
I just searched for it, and wow. It's amazing how a little film like Batman can change your perspective. Now he's attained true star status, he IS the film, and can thus treat anyone any way he sees fit. It's pathetic really; he said his piece, and should have just moved on. Instead, he chose to keep on hammering that guy, and even threatened him with violence. Who does he think he is? It's a shame the people in charge don't make examples of these 'stars' once in a while, especially when something like this happens. It's not like Christian Bale is the face of John Connor as you could say he is now for Bruce Wayne/Batman, so replacing him with someone who doesn't have the punk attitude shouldn't have been too difficult. But then I suspect Batman will have had something to do with his selection in the first place...

Bale is probably doing steroids to make him look ripped & made him into a jerk ?!.! How can someone with that much opportunity & money be anything except appreciative & happy? Got to be the drugs.
But i also will see the new TERMINATOR movie. Don't rule out this kind of thing really happening in the future. Did anyone see FOX news about computers that will be smarter than humans in the near future. The dude said "well,we don't plan to link them up with our missiles or military command".
I really don't think he get's it. These friggin self thinking super computers can hack into themselves & do all sorts of things like that,etc.

Now these creepy computers will possibly take away American jobs. lol
I think i have played my PS2 game Terminator "Dawn of Fate" too much !!?

Boycotting the film is a little ridiculous, I must say. I'm not condoning the type of behavior Bale used on set or the fact that he blew it out of proportion, but let's try to look at it from his angle. From what I've heard they had been doing many takes on one of the most emotional scenes in the film (hear him say "Bryce"? Scenes with the love interest are usually very emotional) and when he had the best one yet, the DP was in his field of view fixing lights (which should not be done in the middle of a take). He overreacted by our standards, and I'm in agreement with that. But for him, he's a true artist and a very talented actor. Imagine having something be your whole life's work and interest and to strive for perfection in every aspect of its pursuit. I don't know about anyone else, but I can truly relate to how a strong passion for something can lead to such an emotional fit of rage when it's tampered with. The man is a method actor and really takes his work seriously. He's obviously doing something right if you've seen him perform, so whatever works - whether he e xp ects people to know what they're doing or whether he just films the first three takes and calls it a day (obviously the former). This happened some five months ago or so, and he's since apologized and made up with the DP. There's no excuse for his overreaction, but there is good reason. We're all human and it's naive - in my opinion - to e xp ect someone not to get emotional when their work is being "trashed". Granted, the DP is human too, but I don't think we should judge either of them too harshly, as both were wrong, but both are human. And I doubt this is a very isolated event. Film sets can be a very stressful place and it's not like this has never happened with/to anyone before just because it was being recorded this time. And it's comforting to know how serious Bale must be taking this role which sets my mind at ease about the questionable quality of it. So I say let's just step back, let the man work, and enjoy the final product.

This is pretty hilarious though (Language Warning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48
Last edited by Sedhal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-_-

It's true that there are two sides to every story, he's really into his work, etc., but I think Flame totally hit it on the head in his post. It's one thing to yet at somebody for a moment and then come to your wits, but to just keep firing away on the guy for four solid minutes is totally over the top. I guess we do have to remember that Bale starred in a movie called "American Psycho" (although he's actually British)! If this movie were something I was less into—say, Batman—I'd think about not going, but Terminator is one of my favorite franchises, and there's no way I'm not going to see this movie.

I never actually considered that this might be 'Roid Rage. I mean, Bale has a good body, but it's the kind of body that any of us could develop if we put our minds to it. If he shows up looking like Ahnold, well then I might suspect he's doing steroids.

It's impossible to say what's truly overboard when someone is mad enough. There's no one right time span for a tantrum. He was clearly mad enough to react that way for that amount of time. What's overboard to us might not be the same to someone in-the-moment. Like I said, from my perspective I think he overreacted, but I don't have the same job. Initially I thought "Just do another scene and get over it" but when I think about it, I can come up with a few things that might make me react in the same way. It all depends what's important to us, and for Christian Bale - acting seems very important. It's easy to take something lightly from afar, but imagine obsessing over something - no matter how small it might appear to others. I'm just wondering how that would have transpired on the set of Public Enemies if it happened. The way he spoke to McG would have never translated over to a director like Michael Mann. Then again, Mann would have probably killed the DP before Bale even noticed him. I do know that I'd rather have someone that dedicated and taking a role "too seriously" (by others' definitions) than have an actor waltz in, read the lines, and collect a paycheck. Whatever makes the total work better, I say let it happen and accept it. I'm not sure refusing to see the film or trying to boycott it is right, but that's your right if you choose to do so. If anything, it reinforces my faith (what little I initially had) in the film that it might be taken seriously and be done well.

I doubt he's doing steroids. The guy has too much of a natural build like you said and he's proven in the past that he can easily manipulate his physical fitness. Got insanely fit for American Psycho and Equilibrium, emaciated himself for the Machinist, buffed back up for Batman, slimmed back down for Rescue Dawn, and got it back for The Dark Knight and Terminator. Just look at him in rescue dawn alone. Two completely different conditions in such a short time span.
Last edited by Sedhal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-_-

Like it or not, and actor or no actor, unfortunately people lose their cool and act like this all the time. I'm not defending his actions by no means, but is it really any more of our business that he yelled at someone for a ridiculous amount of time than it would be our business that the manager at your local favorite fast food joint yelled at some worker for overcooking the french fries? Yes, he is an actor and is in the public light, but this does not make me want to see this movie any less or did the thought of boycotting the movie ever cross my mind, and I'm not going to stop liking the new Batman movies because of this. Dude needs to take a few chill pills like lots of other people (take your pick, valium, xanax, etc) and get on with the day. :)

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Like it or not, and actor or no actor, unfortunately people lose their cool and act like this all the time. I'm not defending his actions by no means, but is it really any more of our business that he yelled at someone for a ridiculous amount of time than it would be our business that the manager at your local favorite fast food joint yelled at some worker for overcooking the french fries? Yes, he is an actor and is in the public light, but this does not make me want to see this movie any less or did the thought of boycotting the movie ever cross my mind, and I'm not going to stop liking the new Batman movies because of this. Dude needs to take a few chill pills like lots of other people (take your pick, valium, xanax, etc) and get on with the day. :) [/quote]

Well, I'm not exactly one to say "actors are role models," because certainly they don't set out to be that, but on the other hand, because they are in the public eye, their behavior is more scrutinized. Heaven forfend anyone actually take an actor, or worse, a sports figure, as a role model!

Another thing. Actors don't really think the same way as, say, lawyers or scientists or whatever. I believe that people that have the talent of creativity are wired a bit differently. If you can bring the house down on the silver screen, or knock 'em dead in concert, you probably can't balance your checkbook. And you certainly probably can't keep from leaving a bunch of unplanned-for babies in your wake, apparently.

I agree BladeCollector.

Olorin, I believe that's very stereotypical. I also don't see how it applies to this situation. As BladeCollector stated, anyone in any job could act like this. There was nothing in the audio clip that said anything about Bale other than how mad he was about something we aren't fully aware of. Take it out of the world of cinema and art for a moment. I could easily see a scientist or especially lawyer having an outburst like this over something. Wired differently or not, we're all human (except Larry King).

This guy makes some good points: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984
-_-

I never met C.Bale,so i can't say if he's cool or what. I thought the roids theory was pretty funny for the forum thread .Factoid FYI-some roids will get you ripped & some will get you puffy & huge.
I did meet Arnold Swarzenegger in Aspen back in 1988.I waited in line right next to him waiting for the gondola lift thing skiing. He's cool.

[quote=""Sedhal""]Olorin, I believe that's very stereotypical. I also don't see how it applies to this situation. As BladeCollector stated, anyone in any job could act like this. There was nothing in the audio clip that said anything about Bale other than how mad he was about something we aren't fully aware of. Take it out of the world of cinema and art for a moment. I could easily see a scientist or especially lawyer having an outburst like this over something. Wired differently or not, we're all human (except Larry King). [/quote]

My point was that the analytical mind and the creative mind are two very different beasts.

They actually share some very similar ways of thinking, I believe. Different arena but similar tactics, if you will. When it comes down to it, each person's major skill or interest will win out over their lesser ones, but I don't think that applies to getting mad at all. The same situation could be applied to say... a doctor e xp loding on one of his associates because he/she caused unnecessary injury to a patient through negligence.
-_-

From the man himself:

Christian Bale placed an on-air call this morning to Los Angeles radio station KROQ's morning show, "Kevin and Bean" and apologized for the "Terminator Salvation" on-set outburst which leaked online earlier this week according to AP Wire.
"It's been a miserable week for me. Listen, I know I have a potty mouth; everybody knows this now. The thing that I really want to stress is I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk. I regret that. There is nobody that has heard that tape that's been hit harder by it than me. I make no excuses for it. It is unexcusable. I hope that that is absolutely clear" said Bale.
He went on to e xp lain why it happened: "I put so much into what I do and care so much about it and sometimes the enthusiasm just goes awry. I'm embarrassed by it. I ask everybody to sit down and ask themselves, have they ever had a bad day and have they ever lost their temper and really regretted it immensely."
As for the fight itself with director of photography Shane Hurlbut, Bale says "We have resolved this completely...I have no intention of getting anyone fired. There is no problem whatsoever"
Of course one of the most offensive things since the initial leak has been the various audio remixes, but Bale himself says "Feel free to make fun of me at my e xp ense; I deserve it completely." He even admitted that the radio duo's take on his rant made him laugh.

Well, we all have had bad days and its nice to see someone owning up to one's mistakes.

As for having bad days... a couple months ago, some credit card people or whatever trying to sell us something people kept calling every 15 minutes, and I literally screamed at the person on the that kept calling me to leave me alone, I didnt want what they were offering, and then I hung up on them

I was gonna say, at this point the only thing she could really offer is voiceover. I just hope they have a clear plan of what they want to do with her and not a last-minute plug-in just to up the hype.

This is kind of an unrelated topic but Terminator made me think of this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320253/

I guess they just got Arnold in it too. :) Jean Claude turned it down :( But they cast Lundgren in his place :D . Now all we need is Chuck Norris and Don Johnson and this movie's concentration of testosterone and awesomeness might end the universe.
-_-

OK, this doesn't exactly relate to Terminator Salvation, but we don't have a "Pure Terminator Discussion" thread and TS is the reason why this is coming out, so here it is something of interest from IGN:Terminator 2 Sky-Net Edition Hits Blu-ray

Check out our exclusive look at the Robot Apocalypse on Blu-ray.

February 20, 2009 - We all know that the Robot Apocalypse is on its way, but thanks to a few classic movies, we have a good sense of what to e xp ect. One of those movies, of course, is Terminator 2, the James Cameron sci-fi classic that proved we can't really change the future.

On May 19, 2009 Lionsgate will finally release Terminator 2 Skynet Edition on Blu-ray. Fans of the ultimate action film can see and hear multiple versions of the movie in e xp losive, THX certified high-definition and all-new English Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. The disc is loaded with over 8 hours of interactive Blu-ray content including over 140 minutes of behind the scenes video and multimedia galleries, storyboard-script views, audio commentaries, quizzes and games – plus additional BD-Live enabled content featuring games and more that is accessible on Internet-connected players.

In addition, the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition Blu-ray will be available for a limited time in the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set, a 6-disc set that allows the ultimate T2 fan to play the film anytime, anywhere! Packaged with a 14" T-800 Endoskull bust that plays sound effects from the film while its eyes light up, this collectible set features the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition Blu-ray plus both the Extreme Edition DVD and Ultimate Edition DVD – which, combined, include every T2 special feature ever released on DVD. As a bonus, the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set comes with a digital copy of the film for iTunes or Windows Media.

Terminator 2 Skynet Edition on Blu-ray Disc and the Limited Edition T2 Complete Collector's Set will be available for $29.99 and $174.99 respectively on May 19, 2009, coinciding with the theatrical release of Terminator: Salvation and the DVD release of the Schwarzenegger DVD Collection.

Bonus features include:

• Multiple THX-certified high-definition versions of the film
  • All-new English 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless
  • Picture-in-picture of behind the scenes video, text commentaries and multimedia galleries
  • Storyboard-script mode – view storyboards and read the script while watching the film
  • Interactive quizzes and games
  • BD-Live enabled, featuring games, extra content and more for Internet-connected players
  • Audio commentary with 26 cast and crew members
  • Audio commentary with director James Cameron and co-writer William Wisher
  • Enhanced for D-Box Motion Control Systems
  • Includes THX Optimizer
[/indent][/INDENT]

From MTV :
He said he'd be back: Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator Salvation

The Governator will make a cameo in Terminator Salvation, according to MTV. Actor Terry Crews spilled the beans on Arnold's return to the silver screen. Crews also mentioned that Schwarzenegger might be joining him in the Sylvester Stallone movie The E xp endables.

“I am not at liberty to discuss what kind of cameo it is [in ‘The E xp endables’], but I know for a fact he wants to be down,” Crews told MTV. “Arnold and I did a movie together a long time ago called ‘The 6th Day.’ Arnold and I are cool; he’s the best.”

In other Terminator news ... Pizza Hut is offering a deal for those named Sarah Connor or John Connor to claim a free medium one-topping pizza on May 21 in tandem with the film's release.

What would "Empire of the Sun" be without Christian Bale?
So what if he lost his cool, who hasn't had a moment like that? (Except that we don't have cameras and recording equipment around when we do, so only those present get to judge us, and critique our behavior, and it gets forgotten real quick because we aren't in the limelight).
This new film has to be better than the third. Who cares if Ahnold makes a cameo or if Linda Hamilton reprises her role as SC. The original Terminator was great just because it was fresh and different and cool and this and that. Why does every film have to be a Swiss watch? I just want to see this flick for what it is, not what I e xp ect it to be.
I figure I'll enjoy the new Star Trek for the same reason.

[quote=""Thranduil""]
So what if he lost his cool, who hasn't had a moment like that? (Except that we don't have cameras and recording equipment around when we do, so only those present get to judge us, and critique our behavior, and it gets forgotten real quick because we aren't in the limelight).[/quote]

I can honestly say I have never reacted, or acted like the way he did on that Terminator set. Never. EVER.

But, that being said...Christian Bale was a child actor. He's grown up in a fantasy world and is used to having everything just so or on a platter. It doesn't excuse his behavior, however...just pointing out that I get what you're saying.

Have you ever been extremely passionate about something you can do, which is why they hired you to do it, then when you go to do it and finally do it right out of a billion takes, this guy who's been messing up fifty times already, and been told nicely before, messes up one more time and blows everything? Christian Bale is human. So is the guy who perpetually screws up, but he'd been told nicely many times. Good work doesn't happen when you keep kicking around saying "oh well! Teehehehe". Things get tense, there's obviously a lot of passion put into this type of thing. If anything, it's a good sign. Bale overreacted, yeah. Looking back on it, definitely. But that's because everything's cool now. The situation's chill. At the time, if anyone was as mad as he was, there's no over or under reaction. It is what it is.

I think it's short-sighted to chalk it up to being a child actor living in a "fantasy world". What does that even mean? Why is his world a fantasy world simply because he makes movies? I guess he's not real or something? That has nothing to do with getting mad, nor should getting mad be any reason to disrespect the process of film making or any other venue that e xp resses and promotes imagination and creativity.

From what I see, it's all too easy to sit there and blast him from your "normal" life, living in the "real" world with little to no understanding of what goes through his head or what makes good movies and good work in general. If it's something you can't relate to, that's fine. But take what you can into consideration before tossing around judgments and remarks. Fantasy world or not, in the real world people get mad. That's how it is.
-_-

[quote=""Curunir""]I can honestly say I have never reacted, or acted like the way he did on that Terminator set. Never. EVER.

But, that being said...Christian Bale was a child actor. He's grown up in a fantasy world and is used to having everything just so or on a platter. It doesn't excuse his behavior, however...just pointing out that I get what you're saying.[/quote]

It amazes me that your description here of Christian Bale as a child actor is a perfect description of his role in Empire of the Sun, "Used to having everything just so or handed to him on a silver platter." You'd think the kid was a multi-millionaire before his debut role.
I would point out what was said by Billy Boyd in the EE Appendices of the ROTK concerning the screw-up that took place in the final scene at the Gray Harbor. He makes it clear that when doing an intense emotional scene actors work themselves up into an intense state of emotion, when that gets tossed to the side by some one elses failure it makes it that much harder to do again.
I do not praise you for the fact that you have never lost your cool, in my mind it shows you have little to no passion or conviction for anything you have done, (or that no one has ever stepped on your toes).
My vote is for the previous statements made by Sedhal, I think he has hit it on the head.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Well said. :)

By the way, does anyone know if the iconic music theme from the first two movies is going to make a cameo also in this new Terminator? I can't remember if T3 had it, but it is one of my all-time favourite movie musics.[/quote]

Great question. I just surfed T3 for your answer. NO! There is no old Terminator music per say and the music that is there is so rare it can't count.
Guess that's why it was so so so bad. The music may have made it better, or at least made it buy-able as a Terminator flick.

[quote=""Thranduil""]
I do not praise you for the fact that you have never lost your cool, in my mind it shows you have little to no passion or conviction for anything you have done, (or that no one has ever stepped on your toes).
My vote is for the previous statements made by Sedhal, I think he has hit it on the head.[/quote]

Didnt someone say something about being judgemental? You guys hardly know me. Just as I hardly know Christian Bale, or any of you. So, while my comments about him were my opinion, several of you have decided to get personal about it. So, who's kidding who here? Grow up. At least I've the tact not to go down that road.

[quote=""Sedhal""]

I think it's short-sighted to chalk it up to being a child actor living in a "fantasy world". What does that even mean? Why is his world a fantasy world simply because he makes movies? I guess he's not real or something? That has nothing to do with getting mad, nor should getting mad be any reason to disrespect the process of film making or any other venue that e xp resses and promotes imagination and creativity.

From what I see, it's all too easy to sit there and blast him from your "normal" life, living in the "real" world with little to no understanding of what goes through his head or what makes good movies and good work in general. If it's something you can't relate to, that's fine. But take what you can into consideration before tossing around judgments and remarks. Fantasy world or not, in the real world people get mad. That's how it is.[/quote]

Short sighted perhaps yes, but it's my opinion. Big deal. Your opinion of me or how I viewed Christian Bale's Terminator feud has no more validity than any of my opinions. Get real.

Christian Bale was a child actor. Fact? Yes. He's been in the industry for a long time. The Hollywood life is a fantasy in a sense that it's not the typical way most people live (or get to) live their lives.

Funny you say I have no idea what makes good movies. I actually work in the film industry...so yeah. I'm taking what you say with a grain of salt, as you should have taken my comments about Mr. Bale.

[quote=""Curunir""] Grow up. At least I've the tact not to go down that road.[/quote]

I don't think either of our posts were as bad as what you've shown in your last two replies, actually. Double standard?

So you're proud of calling your opinion short-sighted, in addition to broadcasting it all over the internet? Big deal? If it's not, why bother let people know? That's what you get combating ill-thought-out opinions - other opinions with a little more development.

And who says the "Hollywood lifestyle" (whatever that is, in particular) is a fantasy regarding the comparison to "normal" lives. What makes you think most people aren't living in a fantasy? Kidding yourself that life's rosy despite working 9-5, struggling to get by until death? What's a typical life? And who says Christian Bale, one of the most dedicated and private actors working today, buys into the "Hollywood" life? Like I said - people get mad. That happens in and out of the "fantasy" world. Then again, you admitted to working in the film industry, so I can see why you're getting a little mad here (right?). Which, by the way, I am taking with half a grain of salt, as Michael Bay also works in the film industry (being quite successful at that) and he still sucks at it. What's your point? It's not where you are, it's where you're going.
-_-

As far as the soundtrack for the film goes, I think we can e xp ect some of the older themes. If you watch almost any of the trailers, they rely heavily on the iconic theme. It's very rare that a trailer for a film has music in it from the franchise. The TS trailers have the iconic theme, and they even have it in versions that are -not- in the past films. Point being, it's newly created music, which I doubt they would do simply for a trailer. I think we'll see at the very least homages in the score. According to IMDB we've got Danny Elfman on the project. He's usually pretty good about keeping tradition alive.

As far as looking at T3 to determine what this one will have, I don't think that will help us. While I don't have any problem with T3 specifically, it has a very different feel to it from the original and Judgment Day. It seems to me like this film is definitely a throw back to the older movies. They might be really distancing themselves from T3.

Oh well! Like most summers there is a whole host of movies I'm dying to see, this being one of them. In time we'll get to see whether our hopes have been answered.
Last edited by GuardianWolf on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Formatting didn't seem to stick...

[quote=""Sedhal""]I don't think either of our posts were as bad as what you've shown in your last two replies, actually. Double standard?[/quote]

No double standard at all, really. You're getting personal for some bizarre reason and I am not.
Last edited by Curunir on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""GuardianWolf""]

As far as looking at T3 to determine what this one will have, I don't think that will help us. While I don't have any problem with T3 specifically, it has a very different feel to it from the original and Judgment Day. It seems to me like this film is definitely a throw back to the older movies. They might be really distancing themselves from T3. [/quote]

Very much agree! It's hard for people to do so (which is why lots of people jumped to the conclusion that Batman Begins sucks simply because of the previous two) but they must try to separate different sequels/takes and such and treat them as they should be. The problem is most people won't know who made what, as to them, the same "they" who made T3 is also making T4. But it's important that we see T4 for what it is on its own and in relation to the original two, like the trailers have very much been implying, and not get bogged down in comparisons to the inferior prequel. By far, the most sensible thing said in the past two posts :thumbs_up
-_-

While it's usually a good thing, doing "reboots" as they're doing with Terminator is something I think we'll be seeing a lot more of, as it's become much more common. While it's been done in the past, it's become more and more prevalent. Some movie comes out (like Batman and Robin) and it's a horrible movie with a strong license behind it, they just decide to try again. Frequently we see it being a great move. Batman Begins/Dark Knight, or The Incredible Hulk. But it can be botched, as well.

For me, anyway, The Punisher (2004) is a good movie. It's not perfect, but it's good. The studio decided it didn't do well enough, so they rebooted it. Punisher: War Zone is one of the worst films I ever made the mistake of watching. And the critics and box office agreed.

I'm hopeful for Terminator...but I don't have any delusions. I don't thin anyone will be able to say it's mediocre. It'll either be viewed as -great- or horrible.

I agree on the Punisher. It was far from great, but I still liked it for enough reasons. The new one looked terrible and I'll never pay to watch it. The Incredible Hulk doesn't belong in the same sentence as. The newest two Batman movies though (lol). I thought the first one was MUCH better. Everyone seems to think the new one is so good, but really. A reboot within five years of the first one shouldn't be "just as bad". The pacing was horrible. And Elliot made a better, more conflicted Ross than Hurt. The best parts are Norton (much better Banner) and Abomination (cool fight, though the superhuman Tim Roth stuff before the transformation was retarded). And the CGI wasn't even that good considering being made after Ang Lee's version. I just don't get what their problem was. Most of the complaints about the first movie was that Hulk was too big or something (it resembled the comic, obviously, not the dumb TV show). So they go and remake it and do the exact same thing :|
-_-

Return to “Media”