Re: New "Lord of the Rings" RPG - "Conquest"

Looks very cool. Can't wait to pick it up! :thumbs_up

One small thing though... your thread title had me confused after watching the trailer because it did not look like an RPG at all. After reading the previews, I discovered I was right: it's a button-mashing action game, not an RPG. That should help me decide what platform to pick it up on, and that will be for my Xbox.

Action = Xbox; RPG = PC. ;)

[quote=""BrandalftheBlue""]I absolutley hate that they are not going to release this game for Ps2 (or wii at the least) because I can't afford a ps3 and I don't feel like going out and spending $300 on an xbox 360. I really have been waiting for a game like this for a long time.[/quote]

Never fear, PS3's are going to come down in price after this years holiday season.

Rumour has it that Spring will bring a PS3 price-drop with it, but I'd be very surprised if it hit the $250 mark. That kind of drop is too steep when you consider the entry level model at the moment commands a $400 fee. I think, if (when) it happens, Sony will shave another $100 off the price, at most. That way, the 40GB will be the same price as the Premium Xbox 360 (the one people want), and if they decide to keep the 160GB after its limited run, then it will be the same price as the Elite. That's what I'd do anyway, but you never can tell what will happen these days, where common sense is apparently scarce.

On to the game, I'm very much looking forward to it, and it's January release is just around the corner now. It's made by the developers of the Star Wars Battlefront games, which I'm a fan of, so hopefully it will be a winning combination. I enjoyed all three of the LotR games that EA published on PS2, and was pretty disappointed when they canned their plans for another RPG: The White Council. Perhaps if this game sells well, they will reconsider.

I'll probably pick this game up for the PS3, provided it isn't glaringly worse than the 360 version. Otherwise, I'll get it for that.

There's a demo available for this game on the North American PlayStation Store. I don't have my 360 hooked up online, but I'm sure it's on Live as well.

Just got finished playing the demo, and a round of the online multiplayer. If you like this kind of game (hack 'n slash), then you're pretty much on to a winner here. You start off as a Warrior, which obviously involves a sword. You also have throwing axes, and some pretty nifty power attacks to help you as well.
You then get to try out the Archer class, whose special abilities (in the demo at least) include flame and poison arrows, as well as being able to fire at multiple targets at once.
Next is the Scout, with whom you can use the cloak ability, which basically renders you invisible, allowing you to sneak up behind enemies and stab them in the back, which is an instant kill. There are also a few combos available to the scout, who carries two knives similar to those of Legolas in the films.
From here you can pick any of the three classes and continue the good fight. You finally come to a point where you need the fourth class: the Mage. The Mage can fire lightning bolts, heal allies, and has a couple of other magical powers.

All in all, I had a pretty good time with it. I'm not going to say who else you can fight as, or even who you might fight against, but if you're familiar with the Battlefront games, which allow you to fight as a famous Jedi or Sith, depending on what side you're on, rest assured that the major heroes and villains from the Lord of the Rings will be playable in this game as well.

Be sure to watch the video after the demo is over as well. It gives you a good impression of what you can e xp ect in the game. With a good and an evil campaign, this game should provide the ultimate "what if?"

So I was looking this game up on Amazon and saw that it only shows three versions available for ordering: 360, PS3, and DS. Did I only imagine there was a PC version, or did they cancel it?

Though I stated earlier that I was going to buy this for my Xbox instead of the PC, I still wanted to read on how the two versions compared before making a final decision. While a console's controller is usually much better suited to this style of game over a mouse and keyboard, I've also just spent $5k on a new gaming rig and predict that the game may look a lot better on my PC than the 360. This has certainly been the case in comparing the two versions of Fallout 3.

So, was/is there a PC version or not?

Ok, so it seems Amazon got it wrong. Both the game developer's website, wikipedia, EBGames, and Gamestop have the PC version listed. Curiously, if you preorder this game, you get a bonus item, which is a miniature version of the Witch-king's sword. Hard to tell from the low-res pic of the sword on the screen, but it doesn't look like one of the UC Minis.

My first post in a while... I just picked up this game a few days ago and it's pretty fun. Graphics aren't the best around but it looks good on my PS3 connected via HDMI to my LCD Television. My only complaints on it so far, and mind you I've only had it a couple of days, is that I wish you could be the heroes more often in the War of the Ring mode. And if you die with your hero, you go back to being a standard class fighter (archer, mage, etc.) I'd much prefer being the heroes over the nobodies thoughout the majority of the battles. Granted I haven't tried playing online yet, hopefully you can pick a hero and stay with that character as long as you wish.

The levels are cool and pretty true to the lay of the land of the LOTR films. Some parts I felt were a little weak in terms of the story line, such as the Mines of Moria for example. The Barlog comes back to life after he's already been killed by Gandalf, soldiers of Gondor fight inside of Moria... little things like this that aren't true to the story make me say "eeeh" :| Other than that so far I think its a fun game overall.

I'm definately interested to hear some opinions on those of you who have this game... likes, dislikes, etc...
Movie Reproductions: Museum Collection Glamdring #374/1000, Blue & White Glamdring Scabbards, 2 Mini Glamdrings, Museum Collection Sting #2041/3000, Sting Scabbard, Mini Witchking Sword, House of Flying Daggers Sword of Jin & Leo, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword, Pirate Cutlass Scimitar Sword (Cup Hilt),

Japanese Blades:
Naginata (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Saya) 2 Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, AISI 1060 High Carbon Steel, & Wood Sayas) 1 Katana (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Folded Steel & Wood Saya) 2 Shirasaya Katanas (Full Tang, Hand-Forged, Heat Tempered 1045 high carbon steel, Wood Sayas)

I agree the mines of Moria level is one of the levels that I was not thrilled about. But in the evil campaign it gets better. I give It a nine out of ten. One of the things I wasn't happy about was how terrible the voices are...like Saruman's. his voice is probably the worst. like one of his lines are "YOU ARE REQUIRED, TO DIE". so the voices where a little corny. but other then those 2 things the game is one of the best games I've played in quite awhile.

I'll be picking this game up in a few days for the PS3.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Balrog Obliterator, but both campaigns will follow a similar pattern with regards to playing as the heroes. Conquest is very similar to the developer's previous work (Star Wars Battlefront), and in those games you play as a regular soldier in one of the different classes, and are rewarded for playing well by being able to play as a Jedi or Sith for a certain amount of time. This will be true of Conquest as well. I'm not sure what triggers the use of the heroes, but the time you get to spend with them will be limited.

I've only tried the demo thus far, and while I wasn't blown away, I liked it enough to buy it when I get around to it. Granted though, I'm sure there is a lot more to it than just the little tiny bit I played, but I did conclude this is indeed very much a console game and that the PC version, while probably better looking with the right hardware, will be very clunky.

I have a huge backlog of games to get through right now and LOTR Conquest is at the bottom of the pile, so it will be some time before I comment further on it.

I picked this up today, and have played through the Helm's Deep level, and some of Isengard. Looks like this will be fun, but definitely a "button-masher". Nice graphics, and great characters so far. I'm done for now, but once I get back in the game I'll make more comments/observations.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

I am thinking about purchasing this game, but many sites are giving it bad reviews. Many are saying it is very repetitive and a disappointment coming from the creators of Star Wars Battlefront. As I read these reviews everything they complained about was the same thing I would say were cons in the Battlefront line, but yet they seem to think this was worse than Battlefront. I know some of you have bought it but how would you compare it to Battle Front. I love Battle Front just as a fun game you don't have to worry about thinking too hard. If it is just like Battle Front but for LOTR then I am definitely getting it. Any comparisons? Thanks :)

I couldn't wait for this game to come out. After I bought it I beat it in a short while and then put it down. It's very repetitive and is definitely a button masher. The graphics are good and the scenery is gorgeous but I feel that the game was lacking overall. I think I’d like it better if you could switch between the heroes/ villains more within the levels… most of the time you have to play as generic warriors, mages, scouts, and archers. They are cool in there own right but I feel like those who buy this game want it because they wish to be they’re favorite characters not random no named warriors. Take away the story, the scenery, and it feels like any battle game. Don’t get me wrong because I think there are aspects to the game that are really cool but overall I wasn’t entirely impressed. Better luck on the next one hopefully!

Yep, I was pretty much done with this one is just over one day. Some cool concepts that got buried under repetitive play. Not enough innovation here, and definitely low on the replay value, at least for single-player mode. Even the big payoff, having Sauron trample the Shire, was far too short. Once you finish both campaigns, they should allow you to unlock all the heroes and villains for play in all the levels. That would have made it worth it to go back.

One extremely humorous moment of note: while I was playing Sauron in the Shire, I was crossing that little bridge to go practice my golf swing on some pesky hobbits when a giant eagle swooped in and carried Sauron off in its talons. Game over. Classic! :crazy:

Return to “Media”