Re: New Movies

Olorin wrote:Ah, there are still members out there. I was beginning to think you'd all been abducted by aliens or something. :crazy2:

Anyway, Deadpool is not your typical comic book movie...it's more like a Sin City sort of thing (except you don't need hypnotherapy to try to force yourself to forget you saw it afterward). It's very violent with a fair amount of blood and goo splatters, the dirty innuendos are non-stop, and there's a fair bit of simulated sex in the part telling the story of his relationship. Suffice it to say, if Disney owned this part of Marvel, this movie would not have been made. Certainly not like this!

I never read the X Men comic books so I know nothing about X Men except from the movies and Wikipedia, but from what I gleaned from the Wikipedia article, this movie nails Deadpool absolutely perfectly.
Sin City (the first one) wasnt bad! I liked it!

There are dirty innuendos everywhere nowadays. Heck, that show "Two Broke Girls"... I dont think they have ever gone 2 lines of dialogue without some sort of sexual innuendo! (but it is funny)
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BladeCollector wrote:Sin City (the first one) wasnt bad! I liked it!
To each his own, but Sin City made me feel like Benecio del Toro's character, like I'd had my head shoved into a toilet full of p***. I wanted to take my brain through the car wash after that flick.

However, I will say the worst movie I've seen in the last 20 years was Van Helsing. It was 2+ hours of my life that I'll never get back. It has become my paradigm of a crap movie, as in, "Well, it wasn't great but it wasn't awful. It wasn't Van Helsing bad!"
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I finally got around to watching Spectre and was very drawn to it. It took a lot of thinking to remember back to all the other films when they started referencing them. I haven't seen Quantum of Solace since it was in theaters! I thought it was excellent though, and I really don't want to see Craig leave the role of Bond. He may just be the best Bond in history, if anyone could be Bond besides Sean Connery.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

I saw X Men: Apocalypse yesterday and enjoyed it. My only complaint would be that it was paced too slow. In any event, it's much better than the 48% Rotten Tomato rating would leave you to believe. If you like X Men, don't hesitate to see it.

Aside from pacing, the other complaints I've heard were spotty CGI, a villain with an ambiguous agenda, and people being generally tired of JLaw being in these movies. For the latter, it's not even hate for the actress herself, it's just that Mystique (like Jackman as Wolverine) always dominates these movies and viewers are weary. The irony is, Mystique is a minor villain in the comics, and almost always on the wrong side of the X-Men. I guess it rankles fans more than a little that such a huge role has been given to her, when other far more historically prominent X-Men have barely gotten a mention or any screen time over almost ten movies. Can't say I disagree on that point.
This Space for Rent

The CGI is a little weak, and there's a lot of it. I totally do not understand the complaint about the villain's agenda being ambiguous. He's out to destroy the world! What's ambiguous about that? As for Mystique, yeah, I guess I could understand that. If she wasn't that big a character in the comics, that it could upset people that she is now. But hey, you've got Jennifer freakin' Lawrence in the movie, I say, make the most of it!

Yea... Apocalypse wanting to destroy the world and whoever survives will worship him as a God... that is about as unambiguous as you can get. Mystique may be a minor villain but she was in the first set of movies as Magneto's right hand woman, and her shape-shifting abilities come in handy for all kinds of trouble. With that said, I know the timeline has been altered and reset etc due to Days of Future Past, so I don't know if Mystique will stay on the good guy side or will ultimately fall to the badguy side, same for Magneto, he was an all out villain in the first set of movies, but redeemed himself at the end. Which his comic counterpart is the same way, his respect for and friendship with Xavier keeps him from going completely 100% evil. Although, in the comics, there was that one time he used his magneto powers and ripped Wolverine's skeleton out of his body.

I saw Warcraft today. I personally wouldn't say it's as bad as critics are saying, though I rarely ever agree with critics.

It's a fun movie. Human acting was a little weak I think. I think they should have made Khadgar the main character. I found him more interesting than Lothar. Visually it's beautiful. The locations and scenery in the movie are stunning.

Pacing was a little off. I felt like it rushed through quite a lot at the start and I think it could have done with some more time introducing characters and locations. The pacing improved as it went on though. Don't go in expecting LOTR though, it's not that kind of movie and I don't think it ever was meant to be. It's fun, beautiful and the action scenes are pretty intense. Also large elf ears look really funny in live action movies :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I saw The Jungle Book. I don't know if I ever saw the original animated one or not. Also, this was probably the first straight-up, non-Pixar Disney movie I've seen in about 45 years. Something about it intrigued me. Anyway, good animation, great voice actors, and a basic story yield up 90 minutes of carefree entertainment.

I will check out Jungle Book when it hits netflix, same with Warcraft, it looks intriguing enough to watch but I dont know a thing about the video games.

I did go see Ninja turtles with my nephew this weekend, I thought it was pretty good, brought me back to my childhood and we finally got Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang in a movie! I mean, judging a movie as a 33 year old is hard, yes it has its flaws, but these movies aren't meant to be critically acclaimed masterpieces, but my 12 year old nephew (i am sure the target demographic) loved it.

I also saw an old movie in the theaters this weekend as well... I saw the original Ghostbusters play, which was pretty good, I have always loved that movie and to finally see it on the big screen was pretty awesome.

I saw Warcraft again and I enjoyed it even more. I was able to pick up on small details I had missed the first time which explained characters. It's a film critics will love to hate, but audience opinions seem to be higher and there's a good fan base building for the movie.

I'm hoping they'll get money to do he extended edition and sequels. Only time will tell though.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Valkrist wrote:Aside from pacing, the other complaints I've heard were spotty CGI, a villain with an ambiguous agenda, and people being generally tired of JLaw being in these movies. For the latter, it's not even hate for the actress herself, it's just that Mystique (like Jackman as Wolverine) always dominates these movies and viewers are weary. The irony is, Mystique is a minor villain in the comics, and almost always on the wrong side of the X-Men. I guess it rankles fans more than a little that such a huge role has been given to her, when other far more historically prominent X-Men have barely gotten a mention or any screen time over almost ten movies. Can't say I disagree on that point.
It's like what my wife always says, "I am just getting sick of JLaw being in EVERYTHING. Every time I turn around, there she is. Is she an okay actress? Yeah, sure. Is she that amazing? Not quite." And of course I agree. JLaw has played some great parts and I don't mind her as Mystique, but it annoys me that since she has gotten so famous in real life her character has been given such a large role.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Anyone seen Arrival?

IF so, what is your opinion (without spoilers, please)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Arwyniel wrote: Yes. I liked it. Very different.
That seems to be the prevalent opinion...all positive reviews, amateur and professional alike.

I'm thinking I'll see it this Monday afternoon (Seniors' Day! 25% off! :laugh: ).
Actually I like going to weekday matinees even at full price... 'way fewer people in the theatre.
Last edited by Deimos on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

I liked it. Very well done. Don't expect alien invasion action or anything like that. Not that kind of movie.

It's nothing super complicated, and I'm sure everyone here will have no problem with it, but you do have do to really pay attention to the last 1/3rd of the movie. I was a bit surprised when I talked to a few people I know, who really liked the movie, and discovered they had not actually understood it at all.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:I liked it. Very well done. Don't expect alien invasion action or anything like that. Not that kind of movie.

It's nothing super complicated, and I'm sure everyone here will have no problem with it, but you do have do to really pay attention to the last 1/3rd of the movie. I was a bit surprised when I talked to a few people I know, who really liked the movie, and discovered they had not actually understood it at all.
One reviewer said the same thing (also without giving anything away.)
I am very much looking forward to an enjoyable experience. :-)

BladeCollector wrote:I read somewhere that Patrick Stewart said he was up for playing Professor X again.
He might be, but I doubt Fox is. Hollywood seems determined to go backwards with everything, and the last X-Men movie to include the original cast was already more than two thirds focused on the new kids. Unless it's some future throwaway cameo, I doubt we will see Stewart as Xavier again. :(
This Space for Rent

Some actors never quite do a swan song, despite insisting they are "really" finished.
They just keep doing encore, after encore, after encore, after encore...

Return to “Media”