Re: Game Of Thrones

Lindir wrote:For me, I think not having an identifiable character is killing it for me. Theres a lot of talk about how GOT is pretty progressive in terms of representing different minorities - Yara was shown to be gay - but that doesn't work for someone like me. I don't have a problem with nudity, seeing men or women naked doesn't really bother me, I understand some don't like this however which is fair enough. Anyway, back to the point I was gonna make. Having Loras Tyrell being an openly (somewhat) homosexual character on the show was great in season 2, I could identify with him somewhat and it was nice to feel represented. But then in season 3 he became almost a soap opera character. Sleeping around, discussing flowers and banquets (typical gay guy right :rolleye: ) but at the same time, he moved away from being likeable, at least in my eyes.

Same with Yara. She might be commended for being a strong woman, but she is pretty awful too. I just think they pick interesting characters to represent homosexuality. Not that they minority characters should be completely good. It's a complicated subject and I'm not sure I'm putting it as best as I can. But now going back to my original point, not having a likeable heroic lead character - female, male, straight, gay or whatever is starting to ruin it for me. Everyone is pretty disgusting in some way - I love Littlefinger but he's a villain type character, and those appeal to me when playing alongside strong heroic characters. I don't know, its just kinda becoming meh now, story wise and character wise. I can't really route for anyone, except Littlefinger. Jon is boring, Dany is annoying, Sansa feels like an imitation of Littlefinger, Varys and Tyrion have lost what made them great I think. Stannis, who I did actually like, is dead. He served very little purpose to the story though, and you can really see that after his death.

I hope I haven't broken any rules by talking about sexuality, and I hope my own revelation won't offend or upset anyone but it was something I was curious to see if anyone else had formed an opinion on.
As characters go on the show, if you had to pick one to represent your people, Yara might not be a bad choice. Sure, she's a little rough and crude, but she seems dedicated to her family. She did try to rescue Theon when he was in Ramsey's clutches, after all. And she gave him some sisterly tough-love talk in her most recent appearance. Not sure yet how to characterize her aspirations to rule the Iron Islands. Even if they turn out to come from being power-mad or something like that, that makes her no worse than most of the characters on the show, or at least the characters that are rulers or aspiring to be rulers.

As for Loras, his focus thus far has seemed to be on getting in the sack...and that's a total stereotype. Other than that, they haven't bothered to develop his character much.

Anyway, really good characters on this show seem to come to a bad end...Eddard and Catelyn, anyone?
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote:OMG.

Well tonight was the episode that paid the bills for the rest of the season's failings.
I read the first three words of your post then had to avert my eyes and then continue to do so as I wrote this reply. Please remember that some of us are on the west coast and GoT airs at 8 PM local time. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote:
Olorin wrote:OMG.

Well tonight was the episode that paid the bills for the rest of the season's failings.
I read the first three words of your post then had to avert my eyes and then continue to do so as I wrote this reply. Please remember that some of us are on the west coast and GoT airs at 8 PM local time. :huh:
Sorry, I thought spoilers were a given in this thread...plus I didn't give any specifics. :?

Yes, spoilers are a given but I would assume only until after people have had half a chance to see the newest airing. Since the episode hadn't even aired here at the time of your post, I made the wrong assumption that you were commenting on something pre-show or to do with last week. Yeah, nothing was given away but I couldn't know that until just now. The moment I read "tonight's episode" I had to stop. ;)
This Space for Rent

This is speculation about the finale. Nothing uber spoilery.

There's rumours about Cersei locating wild fire in King's Landing, and there were rumours when season 6 was filming that King's Landing was in flames.

Now go back to season 2, Danny has a series of visions in Quarth when her dragons are kidnapped. One of them is, she's walking through the throne room but it's covered in snow, the roof has gone almost like it's been burned out.

I need to watch that scene again to see for sure, but I have a feeling that scene may be a hint to what could happen in the finale or early next season if the rumours are true.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Y'know, with the show moving beyond the books, I've been worried about missing an episode and having it spoiled for me. HBO Now was out for 30-45 minutes tonight, so I started the episode very late and watched because I know several people on Twitter/Facebook who insist on "live Tweeting" the show. Besides being obnoxious in general, they quickly ruin for those of us who can't see the show as it airs or like Val are in a different time zone.

Some spoilery stuff now...

That being said, I could've missed last night's episode and not have it spoiled. Did this episode deliver a few scenes we were waiting for? Sure. But that's just it, we were waiting for them. Not a single thing happened in that episode that I didn't expect.

Anyone else notice the disturbing habit of big battles being a huge force against a small force, and just when the small force is about to be defeated a larger friendly force suddenly arrives and sweeps the field of the "bad guys"? Pretty much every season's "big battle" has been that exactly.

As for the wild fire in King's Landing, I dont doubt that for a second, especially with Tyrion so conveniently bringing it up last night to Dany. GoT has a habit of some blatant foreshadowing.

I was beginning to wonder about Petyr saving the day, but he did! Regarding the reinforcement scenario... isn't that kind of what happened in ROTK with the Army of the Dead? I was reading some comments on FB last night and there were quite a few people complaining that Sansa should have told Jon about her asking Petyr for help, but I think this helps her. She tried to tell him to listen to her, but he wouldn't and made his battle plans, and ended up falling right into Ramsay's trap, which she specifically mentioned. Jon and his army were well on their way to being slaughtered.

I am worried about the finale, mainly what kind of cliffhanger are we going to get and have to wait 9-10 months to see resolved? Are we done with Arya and Bran for the season? Although it's quite a distance, I'd love for Arya to stroll up on Winterfell at the end of the episode.

The "final" battle for the throne is going to be weird. So many alliances and sub alliances and alliances within alliances.... Tyrion is aligned with Dany, but he and Jaime are/were on decent terms (well before Tyrion killed Tywin), The Theon and Yara have aligned with Dany, but there's some underlying camaraderie with Theon and Sansa (both being victims of Ramsay). You got Brienne who has sword allegiance to Sansa, but also respects and possible loves Jamie, who has no love lost for the Starks, etc.

I guess in the end, I am "pulling for" the Starks to win at the end, I guess. Dany reclaiming the Throne, would be, as mentioned before, restoring the status quo from her father. I don't see Cersei and Jamie ruling as King and Queen, happily ever after.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BladeCollector wrote:Regarding the reinforcement scenario... isn't that kind of what happened in ROTK with the Army of the Dead?
Absolutely. Happened twice in that battle. Rohan showing up, then the Army of the Dead. Happened at Helm's Deep, too. But with those battles, they showed the forces coming. It wasn't a "Surprise! Rohan decided to come!" sort of the thing. GoT continually tries to make it be a shock that the friendly forces arrived, and it hasn't been for some time. This one was just particularly bad because pretty much everyone (at least I should hope...) knew that the Vale was coming to save the day. I don't mind something being predictable, but it's annoying when they act like they're being clever even though they heavily hinted it 3-4 times.

The cavalry coming over the hill in the nick of time to save the day is one of the oldest cliches in the business… And as long as it works as well as it does here, they'll continue to do it. But Littlefinger is still a villain!

I've also thought about Dany's dream sequence of the Red Keep in ruins way back in one of the early seasons in the context of the possibility that Cersei will burn the city down.

I didn't find Jon Snow particularly interesting in this episode. I hoped he would be. He refused to listen to Sansa, he didn't show any military prowess and was generally very boring in my opinion. I have seen people rave about how great he was. It was nice to see Littlefinger again. Although, looking at the trailer for the next episode has me worried about him.

The battle was very well shot, some beautiful cinematography in this episode. However, I can't help but feel like it lacked focus or any key goal. It also felt like it ended too quick. I need to watch it again and maybe I'll feel differently about it on a second viewing.

Alright, full disclaimer: I have never watched any Game of Thrones or read any books and I know almost nothing about it. Tons of my friends watch it and I want to get into it I don't have HBO so I'm thinking about buying them. I can get the first 5 seasons for about 50 dollars on ebay. Is the regular DVD box set a good buy or should I spring for the BD's? I don't know if they have any extra content or I'd GoT extra content is worth the money like the middle earth films. Anyone own GoT on diac?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

This really depends on how budget-conscious you are versus your need for a quality viewing experience. I have to confess that I cringe when I watch some of my DVDs these days, because I've gotten spoiled by the higher resolution of Bluray. GoT makes very effective use of beautiful scenery and locales that I cannot imagine watching in anything less than full HD. It is also a show that is very dark in terms of lighting throughout many scenes, and DVD-quality can sometimes be lacking in picking out the finer details in some of these scenes. Mind you though, problems with black and film grain can appear on Bluray as well, but I've not seen or heard of any such issues with the GoT Blurays. Lastly, keep in mind that HD resolution becomes exponentially more important based on the size of your tv screen. In other words, the bigger the screen, the more important and obvious the need for HD becomes. Want to see what I mean? Try watching an older DVD or even an SD tv channel on a tv that is 50" or bigger. It is not a pretty sight. In terms of extra content, I cannot comment as I have not explored any of it at this time.

My biased opinion? Don't be cheap and spring for the Blurays. You're not future-proofing as if it were the next thing, like 4K, but you will be watching the show in what is the currently accepted standard for viewing tv and movies. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Fair point! My major concern is that my TV's aren't very new. My TV at my college house is about four years old and my TV at home is about seven years old if memory serves; and my only BD playing device is my first release 2006 PS3. If my equipment won't allow for the improvement of BD to show through, then what's the point of having the BD's. Then again, I suppose its an investment, buying that many seasons of a show. :huh:

Fin, I'd go with HBO Now. $15 a month and you get access to all seasons of the show and other stuff. I use my Chromecast, but I'm sure it's on other devices, too. If you end up not really liking it, you can always just cancel and it's less of a investment risk than Blu ray. If you binge the show, you can probably clear the first 5 seasons in a month or two. Even if it takes you a few months, it's still cheaper than buying the show outright.

One of my roommates works at a used Game/DVD/BluRay store and gets a 20% employee discount and he said they get GoT BD's all the time, so he's going to pick them up for me at his rate as he sees them come in. This will probably be the cheapest way for me to get my hands on the BD's.

HBO now seems like a good deal but I don't know if I'd use it for anything outside of GoT, and if I did I would probably use it too often. :crazy:

Fingolfin wrote:One of my roommates works at a used Game/DVD/BluRay store and .... he said they get GoT BD's all the time...
That's kind of interesting, I mean, that the store gets a lot of copies of GoT.

Now, I haven't ever seen any of the episodes, but by following this thread and listening to a friend who had read the books and is also watching it, I have a basic grasp of what is going on.
I can't say at the moment if I will read the books or watch the series any time soon.

Still, here is my question to all of you who are more or less avidly following it:

Do you think there is a good possibility of your viewing the series multiple times (whether in the near or far future) ...same for those reading the books.....do you think you will reread them?
Last edited by Deimos on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I plan on rewatching the series again. I'd like to watch seasons 1-6 again before we enter season 7. I think there are moments I wasn't paying as much attention and/or some of the characters and events are blurring for me. It would be nice, for me at least, to go back and watch it from the beginning so I know the characters the entire time as they are introduced, if that makes sense.

Season 6 EPISODE 9.(G.O.T)
ONE of the greatetes battelscense shown in a tv serie ever. :viking:
I just love this Game of thrones ,serie .
Episode 10 (finalde episode) of season 6. should be running at hbo in about 45 min.
Me looking forward ,soo exiting .to whatch this. iyaaerhuu. :cheers:

I will definitely rewatch my BDs of GOT. I've had quite a few series on DVD and or BD that I've watched multiple times: all the various Star Trek series, The X-Files, and Fringe.

No spoilers here, but I have to say after tonight's episode, it's going to be a very long 10 months or whatever till we start Season 7!

I have to say I really enjoyed tonight's episode.

Spoilers!!!!!! Don't read if you haven't seen the episode!!!

I'm glad LF made it out alive, although I wish Sanda hadn't turned her back on him. For all that LF has done it did feel somewhat heartbreaking that what he wanted was someone to be by his side and he again was rejected here. I'm pretty sure there were tears in his eyes. I hope LF has a chance to redeem himself before the end.

Cersei was fantastic this episode! Her final costume was amazing. I think those last two scenes should have been switched and it should have ended with Cersei.

I'm glad we're leaving Daario behind. He's a character Ive never really enjoyed.

So with rumours that we only have 7 episodes next year, we're gonna be racing through the story. With all the things I didn't enjoy about season 6 the finale made up for those.

Spoilers as well....

I definitely enjoyed the finale overall. While it hit many of the notes most people were expecting (Wildfire, RT + LS = JS, etc.) there were several surprising/rewarding moments.

As a book lover, I adored the scene of Sam in the library.

For Littlefinger, while I enjoy the character in a very general sense, I always remember that it's him that started the whole story off, several times over. He convinced Lysa Arryn to murder her husband. He betrayed Ned Stark when Ned confronted the Lannisters. Of all the characters on the show, I heartily believe he does not deserve any sort of happy ending.

I'm 100% with you Lindir, on swapping the final two scenes. Cersei's scene was impressive, deep, and powerful. She finally got the throne she desired. She just had to give up absolutely everything she cared about to do it (sans Jaime, perhaps...). Dany's scene was good, but not overly powerful. Seems like we always end the season with some shot of her, though.

There were a LOT of time jumps in this episode. It's a change from the rest of the series, because a great deal of events relied on the fact that information is not fast in Westeros.

I felt like this season was a bit weak overall, but as finales go this one was pretty good.

OK, since we're in the spoiler zone now....

Overall, I thought this was a very weak season. However, I thought the same thing after first seeing Season 5, but when I watched it again when I got the BD set, I couldn't remember why I thought it was weak.

In any event, the last 2 episodes of Season 6 stand well alongside other great episodes from previous seasons.

Things I liked about the finale:

The R+L=J theory endorsed and well presented. When they focused in on the baby's face, I knew there would be a cut to the soulful gaze of the adult Jon, and I was not disappointed.

Cersei's revenge...very well done! But I was sad to see the Tyrells wiped out. I thought Margaery was a great character, and I'm sad to see her go. And believe it or not, I was sad to see the end of the High Sparrow. Jonathon Pryce played him with such gentle humility you could actually believe this was a man of sincere convictions, and not just a tyrant. Pryce is just a fabulous actor and it was great that they had him in GOT for two seasons.

And a sad end for King Tommen...an innocent boy, really. I was not at all surprised when he jumped, once he knew Margaery had to be dead. Cersei didn't seem all that grief-stricken. I think she started to cut herself loose from him emotionally when he had decreed there'd be no more trial by combat.

And what on earth was the Mountain doing to Septa Unella?

Arya's revenge...can you believe I didn't realize it was her till she pulled off the mask? Probably because it never occurred to me she could get back to Westeros that quickly. But in any event, we finally got to see a suitable end to the miserable Walder Frey. As despicable characters go on GOT, he wasn't right at the top, but he was pretty wretched and very deserving of a bloody death.

Jon Snow: the King in the North! I hope that pans out better for him than it did for his half-brother, er, nephew, Robb.

Davos' confrontation with Melisandre and her banishment...great scene! Ser Davos has been one of my favorite characters.

Littlefinger: I just wish Sansa had shut him down harder. In spite of the hurt he's caused her, I think she still has a little bit of a weak spot for him. You can almost pity him and his maneuvering for having grown up poor and neglected, but as I've said before, he remains a villain in my book.

Olenna telling off the Sand Snakes...great! But how did Varys get back to Meereen so quickly?

Dany and Tyrion: good scene. I also liked Dany's comment about being bothered by the fact that ordering Daario to stay behind wasn't any harder for her than it was. Anyway, at long last she's sailing for Westeros. With all due regard to others who've posted otherwise, I felt it appropriate that she got the last scene in the season. It's a GOT tradition, and IMHO if there's one storyline that could be described as the main story of the whole series, it's her quest for the Iron Throne.

The characters moving quickly across great distances was what bugged me most with the finale. Usually in an episode, it goes a few days or so, but this episode must have spanned a few weeks. Varys had the time to go meet with Olenna having just left Mereen, then get to Dorne, then get back to Mereen all within the scope of a single episode. Arya got back to Westeros and got deep enough in that she could enact her revenge. Cersei blew up a chunk of King's Landing and the news spread within the same episode, though it was unclear that this was the case. They tried to cover a lot of story in a single episode, and it was a bit annoying going into scenes without realizing just how much time had passed between one scene and the next.

A good episode overall, and a great way to finish off the season.

Minor bones of contention:

- Yes, the teleportation gates sure do seem to be cropping up all over Westeros. I get that time is supposed to pass in between certain scenes, but when we are given no indication of this, the action seems immediate and concurrent. The characters jumping around (Arya, Varys, Jaime, etc) has become very jarring and has robbed the show of one of the great conventions of fantasy works: it takes a long time to get anywhere, and that travel is often when the most interesting things occur. The writers just seem to be in a big rush to move pieces on the game board all the time now, and they keep rolling double sixes.

- I knew Cersei was going to do what she did, but she's dumber than I gave her credit for. I hope she enjoys sitting on that throne... it won't last long.

- Loras Tyrell's confession and penance was such a royal waste. A great moment for the character and the show that was rendered invalid in mere minutes. It all seemed rather pointless. Very sad to see Margaery go, she was one of the characters I rooted for.

Question for the observant ones: when the serving girl at the Twins was looking at Jaime during his conversation with Bron - do you think that was Arya already, sizing up Jaime? Or was it still the actual original girl that Arya later murders to take her face?

Also, was it me or did you catch Walder Frey commenting to Jaime that Edmure Tully was back in his cell? If this is true, then it tells us that Jaime did not keep his word, and that whole Riverrun series of events was even more frustratingly pointless than I originally thought. The Blackfish must be rolling in his grave. I sincerely hope Jaime just fed Frey a lie just so he wouldn't ask too many questions. Not as if he liked him much anyway.
This Space for Rent

Even ravens take time. Not to mention, you'd think Sam would've heard about Jon's murder/resurrection. I'd think Jon might send a tweet about that...

I'm with Val on this. The writers are just charging through it to get the pieces where they want them. For a show that moves very slow at times, it's a welcome albeit jarring change. This has definitely not happened in the past and so I was particularly confused during the meeting in Dorne.

Cersei bombed King's Landing. There's no way that doesn't backfire with an uprising of the citizens in some capacity. They did it over rumors and scandal. She murdered people's friends and family for her own gains, it's bound to destroy her in the end.

I'm guess that Arya didn't murder the girl whose face she used. She likely took that from Braavos. I don't see Arya (now that she's reclaimed her name) murdering innocent people in cold blood. That being said, I'm betting she was sizing up Jaime. He's one of the few characters who she has reason to hate but also reason to spare. It'll be interesting to see what happens when she has him in the crosshairs.

It would be interesting if both Sansa and Littlefinger had a weak spot for each other and that was exploited. I think that would be an interesting dynamic to explore.

I'm very interested to see how Cersei's story progresses next year. Her development over all seasons has been great so far, and while she's one of those characters I can't fully identify with she's still great to watch. I wonder if she's going to become like the Mad King and burn any who oppose her.
Valkrist wrote: Also, was it me or did you catch Walder Frey commenting to Jaime that Edmure Tully was back in his cell? If this is true, then it tells us that Jaime did not keep his word, and that whole Riverrun series of events was even more frustratingly pointless than I originally thought. The Blackfish must be rolling in his grave. I sincerely hope Jaime just fed Frey a lie just so he wouldn't ask too many questions. Not as if he liked him much anyway.
It seems like a pointless plot device to keep him out of Kings Landing so Cersei could have her moment. I'm pretty sure Jamie would have been killed were he still in Kings Landing when Cersei had her moment of glory. It reminds me of that episode we were introduced to Sam's family. That sequence was there just simply so Sam could retrieve the sword which is going to be important later on no doubt.

Olorin wrote: As characters go on the show, if you had to pick one to represent your people, Yara might not be a bad choice. Sure, she's a little rough and crude, but she seems dedicated to her family. She did try to rescue Theon when he was in Ramsey's clutches, after all. And she gave him some sisterly tough-love talk in her most recent appearance. Not sure yet how to characterize her aspirations to rule the Iron Islands. Even if they turn out to come from being power-mad or something like that, that makes her no worse than most of the characters on the show, or at least the characters that are rulers or aspiring to be rulers.

As for Loras, his focus thus far has seemed to be on getting in the sack...and that's a total stereotype. Other than that, they haven't bothered to develop his character much.

Anyway, really good characters on this show seem to come to a bad end...Eddard and Catelyn, anyone?
I think that perhaps whilst supporting Daenerys, Yara has the potential to be a good character and a good person within the world of Westeroes. Here's hoping anyway.

I found Danny to be far more interesting in her scene with Tyrion in the finale. It was better than all of her dramatic speeches (which ring hollow at this point) and there was something genuine about her. Maybe going forward, we'll see better acting and better character development for Danny.

An interesting comparison I read from a reddit page was that part of the story next year could echo Snow White. We have the Evil Queen who has taken the throne (Cersei) and the exiled princess comes to defeat her with her dwarves (or dwarf and army of dothraki). I don't think it'll be that simple. I feel though that Cersei has to go in a spectacular way if we do see her die. I'm not sure how I feel about Danny on the throne. As some of you mentioned here it would be the obvious thing and a return to the status quo, and at the same time I don't want Jon on the throne. No need to worry about wild fire or mass executions - he'll just bore the seven kingdoms to death!

Can Jon Snow die again? I know he could, but do you think they'd go that route with it? I can't see how they could make it work. Although, maybe that's why Melisandre was sent away?

I missed a lot of conversation, and just caught up with the thread. Let me tell you, it was quite difficult avoiding spoilers online while I was in Italy. I left the day of the GoT finale, and didnt get to see it until the following Tuesday evening when I was in the airport in Minneapolis!

I think I have the same gripes as most people, very rushed storyline, overall kind of weak, etc. I thought, in the beginning of the episode, the individual scenes felt too long, usually GoT cuts between scenes and storylines more rapidly. I was pretty upset with Margaery dying, after her secret message to Olenna, I figured she'd have something to do with the High Sparrow's downfall. I completely get Tommen, he was really young and he just watch the building his wife was in destroyed, and possibly, he could have thought his mother was in the building as well (perhaps, since he was kept in the room by the Mountain, he didnt know fully what was going on?)

Cersei seemed to have no sympathy for Tommen's death. Did she finally accept her prophecy as inevitable and move on? Did she attempt to save him originally by having the Mountain keep him in his room? Did she want him to watch the explosion which she figured he was so mentally and emotionally weak that he'd fling himself out of the window?

I know Cersei is a wicked cold hearted b-word, but I have to admit, her walking to the throne in that final grey/black costume and claiming the throne, I was cheering on the inside.

It was excellent to see Arya back in Westeros getting some revenge.

Dany is FINALLY doing something (although, I hope she loses at the end).

Davos finally confronting Melisandre was powerful, although I am glad she was banished by Jon instead of killed, I mean, she did bring him back to life.

Littlefinger and Sansa, I think they both have a sweet/weak spot for each other, I mean Jon clearly loves(?) her or wants her to at least be by his side. Sansa, although I truly believe she knows how despicable he is, knows that aligning with Littlefinger would get her some recognition. She did call upon the Knights of Vale to save the day. LF and Sansa I think will continue to play each other for each others' gain, how far will it get them? Will it be each others' demise? I guess we will see.

I wonder if Jon will ever learn the truth about his parentage and will that ultimately effect the final battle for the throne/Westeros?

I was pretty disappointed by the lack of white walkers, I was hoping one of the end scenes would have been the walkers crashing through the wall, especially when they said "Winter is here"

There's a lot of GoT story to tell and not a lot of episodes left to tell it in.

jnicktem wrote:
BladeCollector wrote:and didnt get to see it until the following Tuesday evening when I was in the airport in Minneapolis!
Im just disappointed that you watched Game of Thrones at my place of employment and didn't invite me!
DUDE!?! I woulda totally met up if I woulda known. I was there forever! Our 4 layover turned into like a 7 hr delay!

BladeCollector wrote:
jnicktem wrote:
BladeCollector wrote:and didnt get to see it until the following Tuesday evening when I was in the airport in Minneapolis!
Im just disappointed that you watched Game of Thrones at my place of employment and didn't invite me!
DUDE!?! I woulda totally met up if I woulda known. I was there forever! Our 4 layover turned into like a 7 hr delay!
Ah man that would have been perfect!

Future note for anyone traveling through the Minneapolis airport... Drop me a line!

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am lol... I have a few choice thoughts to share, but will have to wait until later to post. Also, we can catch up in person in just a few days anyway! :coolsmile
Very true... getting excited for my trip. Just wish I had more time in Vancouver than, what 36 hours!

But yes... other than a few nit picks here and there, I am really enjoying this season.

Yes I've been watching. Really enjoying Cersei this year. She's always been great but Cersei as queen is very interesting.

I know how this season ends. There's some exciting things and also one thing I'm very very very disappointed in. I obviously won't spoil, but we can discuss it more once the series is over in just a couple of weeks. I keep forgetting there's only 7 episodes this year :/

Gotta say tho, Dany and Jon makes me wanna puke.

Lindir, please tell me you're not one of those people that bothers to read the leaked scripts or unfinished footage. I just find that so disappointing that people cannot resist the impulse to spoil a great show for themselves by rushing ahead, and also in the process enabling the despicable animals that perform these criminal actions and then try to hold the production to ransom demands.

Anyway, the season so far...

Way too fast, and the writing is getting worse and worse. Not that I did not previously laud the writers for deviating from Martin's material where they felt they could tell a better story for TV and its pace, but it seems now that they've abandoned all pretense and are just rushing headlong to the finish line. I think the decision to shorten the last two seasons is really hurting this show, and not because I want to see it stretched out needlessly forever, but only because it is forcing events along at breakneck speed, sacrificing all the complexity and richness of this literary world in a mad dash to conclude things. Nevermind the fact that characters are just teleporting all over this vast continent in a matter of seconds where once it was explicitly obvious that the characters weren't always hanging out together because there were great distances involved, but plot points are just being dropped willy-nilly because there is simply no time to develop them further. Characters simply disappear now, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that if they even get a mention later on, it will be rushed and barely worth our time. Euron and Yara? Vanished. Euron and Cersei? Forgotten. Theon (beyond his two seconds of screentime with Jon)? No joy for the Greyjoys, and how important will it be to see what happens to this family with so much else rushing by? And if they are not that important, then why bother setting it up for six seasons like it was? Elaria Sand and Tyene? Guess we know what happened there but an unsatisfying conclusion to an already weak plot element as it happens offscreen and there's zero followup. I guess an entire kingdom is now just leaderless and its armies will go home?

Time and distance are just too messed up on this show, and the way the scenes are ordered is not helping. It seems to flow at a normal pace in Winterfell and Oldtown, but in the Reach, King's Landing, and Dragonstone, people apparently zip about on supersonic jets now. Amazing how that happens when Daenerys is the only one flying. Meanwhile, Greyworm has been languishing in Casterly Rock for at least two episodes because... you guessed it, time flows normally there. The show has also pretty much lost all subtlety in favour of character mash-ups and endless council scenes, with the exception of Littlefinger's attempts to drive a wedge between Sansa and all of her family, and speaking of that, when did Arya suddenly become so oblivious and lose her ability to reason? Unless she and the writers are deceiving us all, the way she is allowing herself to be manipulated into a confrontation with Sansa that effectively throws out all the growth these characters have done for six seasons, then this whole subplot is just stupid and time-wasting filler. Also, what use is Bran's power if it is wholly consumed by the White Walkers, which are still a distant, if important threat? With a few simple words he could expose Littlefinger and help his sisters and his people, yet apparently being the One-Eyed Raven robs you of common sense as well as emotion.

Then there's the stupid little things like showing us that Jaime is still fully armoured coming out of the lake after setting up his mortal danger at the end of the previous episode. I guess Bron not only has the powers of Aquaman, but also the strength of Superman. On top of that, Daenerys is still nearby and doesn't bother to try and kill or capture such an important enemy? Or at least make sure he's dead? She clearly knows he survived because she sends Tyrion to speak to him (and just how did they know he survived?!?!? Oh right, Westerosi internet news!), but she doesn't seem bothered at all by her obvious gaffe in letting him live. Sigh.

Then there's this absurd plot about capturing a Walker and presenting it to Cersei to secure her help, this after they go to lengths to tells us that Cersei is essentially powerless, has no armies or a way to stop the dragons, and that any mercenaries she hires will not stop the Dothraki. So tell me again why they even need her help and have to risk Jon and the others to capture the Walker? Well, because it gets to shove all those characters together into some kind of Magnificent Seven setup, and then everyone will get to be in the same room as Cersei for the first time on the show. Other than that, there is no logical reason to do this. Absolute waste of time.

I really think the writers have checked out and just want this show done, quickly stomping all over the great things that they worked so hard to set up. Just about the only thing that makes sense is that Dani would be attracted to Jon, and that it won't even matter if she finds out they are related because when has that ever stopped the Targaryens? What I also predict is that except for the clear fact that Jon will be riding a dragon very soon, he will renounce any ties to that family and continue to consider himself a Stark because of his mother and because it was Ned that raised. At least I hope he does that, but this show is surprising me in some bad ways.

Yes, despite all these gripes I'm still enjoying it, but it is quickly sliding into the category of mindless fun, where I simply need to know what happens to conclude all this, rather than the previous enjoyment I got out of seeing just how complex and smart the show was before. At this pace we are currently on, they could have just done a ten-show season now and dispensed with making us wait nearly two years for the conclusion with another season.
This Space for Rent

The information I've read was only confirmed by the recent leaks. I'd never support a hack against anyone, not even a corporation. I always tune in every week to support the show. The actual information has been available since last year regarding what was going to happen. I'm torn on spoilers. I get why it's nice to experience things first time unspoiled but at the same time I'm also incredibly anxious about certain things and I just have to see. I've found that I've been able to enjoy certain things more this season because I know what is going to happen before hand.

In regards to Cersei Val, that plot point makes sense to me. If Dany goes north with Jon many of the dothraki would go with her leaving dragonstone and the other lands to attack. Cersei could easily steal stole those lands from her. Seeking a temporary peace is the best option, though at this point Dany is only supporting Jon because she wants to sleep with him.

All her character development he gone out the window there. Why is she besotted by him? Jon Snow has always been and remains to this day the most bland character for me. Jon and Arya are over rated in my eyes.

At this point I want the Night King to kill Dany and Jon and just agree that Cersei is the best queen for westeroes.

I'm very curious how the books will end. I wonder if it'll be vastly different from the show?

Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am The information I've read was only confirmed by the recent leaks. I'd never support a hack against anyone, not even a corporation. I always tune in every week to support the show. The actual information has been available since last year regarding what was going to happen. I'm torn on spoilers. I get why it's nice to experience things first time unspoiled but at the same time I'm also incredibly anxious about certain things and I just have to see. I've found that I've been able to enjoy certain things more this season because I know what is going to happen before hand.
Thank you, it heartens me hear that, though I still don't get spoiling an entire season for oneself. I'm ok with a minor spoiler here and there, but not major ones that render the entire viewing experience for the season nearly moot. It's like peeking at the last pages of a novel and then trying to enjoy the rest of the book when you already know how it all ends? I find that baffling, but to each their own. :)
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am In regards to Cersei Val, that plot point makes sense to me. If Dany goes north with Jon many of the dothraki would go with her leaving dragonstone and the other lands to attack. Cersei could easily steal stole those lands from her. Seeking a temporary peace is the best option, though at this point Dany is only supporting Jon because she wants to sleep with him.
I disagree. It doesn't make any sense to me because they've established that Cersei has no cards left to play except to hole up in King's Landing, force a lengthy siege or have the city burned by dragon fire. If Dani takes her armies north, yes, Cersei can hire the mercenaries and retake the Reach and Casterly Rock, but for how long? Once the dragons and the Dothraki return, they can just easily take it back, so it turns out to be a mere inconvenience at best. No, the plot is contradictory and makes no sense at all, presenting a mere excuse to shove some characters together and create an artificial situation which will deliver some action and imperil some characters for dramatic impact. From the war and diplomacy standpoint, Cersei is beaten and has nothing to offer Dani. It's stupid because they've admitted as much, and then still come up with this plot to gain her cooperation. To do what? The Lannister, Tarley, and Tyrell armies are decimated or captured, and the Dornish have conveniently vanished, so what do they need Cersei for other than the fact that they had to scramble to find a reason to keep her relevant on the show? Very thin ice indeed.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am All her character development he gone out the window there. Why is she besotted by him? Jon Snow has always been and remains to this day the most bland character for me. Jon and Arya are over rated in my eyes.
I've always hated this character and her unceasing arrogance, naiveté, and entitlement. This season has done little to change that view. There have been a few moments where she seems to be on the verge of becoming ever so slightly likeable, and then she ruins it by saying or doing something boneheaded. I'm just kind of numb to it all now and I've resigned myself to the fact that Dani is fully encased in plot armour and that despite all her atrocities, she will come out smelling like roses and rule Westeros with Jon at her side. I do hate that things have become so transparent and predictable at this point, with eight episodes still left. The writers couldn't be telegraphing things more clearly. There was a time when I would expect twists on this show, but they've abandoned any attempts at even trying.

To answer your question, she is besotted with Jon because they are (depending on your tastes) arguably the two best looking young people on the show, and this type of fantasy story dictates that these type of characters end up together while saving the world. It's what the masses love to eat up and have come to expect. I think that Martin might still be clever enough to buck the trend and throw a twist in there, but not Benioff and Weiss. It also seems that for all her struggles to be a strong and independent woman, that she still feels the need to have a man in her life to validate her. Of course there's nothing wrong with wanting love and she shouldn't be dead inside, but it all seems rather contrived with Jon, that much I will concede.
Lindir wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am At this point I want the Night King to kill Dany and Jon and just agree that Cersei is the best queen for westeroes.
That I would pay some serious money to see.
This Space for Rent

I'm glad I am the only one that wants to puke a little over Jon and Dany... and if I hear her say "bend the knee" one more time, I might lose all sense of reason and punch my TV.

Really the only thing I am interested in seeing in the Jon/Dany storyline is somehow her being killed and the white walkers turning her dragons into zombie dragons.

With the revelation that Jon is a Targaryen, Dany has literally no claim to the throne. Everyone talking about how evil Cersei is, well yes, she isnt a good person, but as of this moment, she is the last King's widow, with living children, she is the rightful queen fighting a foreign invasion. Now with that said, Dany could have taken King's Landing and the throne in about 15 minutes and be done with it... so this truce doesn't make sense on her part. She could just send the 3 dragons north past the wall and burn the wights to a crisp and fly back :)

Going beyond the wall is the most ridiculous idea ever.... HOW IN THE NAME OF ANY BEING YOU CONSIDER HOLY ARE YOU GOING TO CAPTURE ONE OF THE ARMY OF THE DEAD!?!?!? You gonna put one in handcuffs? you gonna drag it back kicking and screaming?! Heck, since we are talking about dumb___ plots, why not just fly a dragon up there, scoop one up, and drop it in the middle of the red keep?

Speaking of stupid... where is Ghost? Jon would NEVER leave without Ghost, especially go north of the wall without him!

As far as Littlefinger, I dont know if he is losing it or what.. he's trying to play Stark vs Stark to gain Sansa's trust, but does he not realize Bran the "i say inappropriate things about my sister's rape to my sister" 3 eyed raven can out him at any time. He literally just quoted your "chaos is a ladder" line from years ago, when no one, especially Bran was around to hear it!?

Littlefinger is the most logical person on the show. Bran's powers aren't logical and so LF clearly doesn't anticipate that. I doubt LF even believes the The Others/White Walkers are real. Bran using his chaos is a ladder line definitely creeped LF out though.

In terms of writing LF I think the show runners have kinda lost it. LF is actually more likeable in the books from what I've heard and I'm aware that after he killed Lysa, the storyline with Sansa and Littlefinger is vastly different. I do believe tho that LF miscalculated his decision to sell Sansa to the Bolton's. He was relying on Roose's reputation more than Ramsay. But Ramsay was a vile twisted thing. I truly believe LF regretted his decision. LF is still the only character I'm truly invested in at this point.

Capturing a white actually makes sense to me. They're not gonna capture a white walker as they'd be too powerful, but capturing one of the zombies would be enough to prove to the disbelievers of their existence. It is still idiotic and very dangerous to even attempt though - I feel like that shouldn't need saying to be honest. I like the idea that they'd try and pursue a diplomatic resolution with Cersei just for now.

Return to “Media”