What is everyone watching these days?

Anyone else follow the History channel's Viking series? It's nice to see a rather historical portrayal of Vikings (sans horned helmets). The second series premiered last night and looks to be rather good. Definitely bumps several Viking pieces up a few places on my 'To Buy' List.

On a similar topic, there is also a series called Black Sails on Starz network that is a slightly less 'Hollywood' take on Pirates. Again, they all end up being condensed and blended versions loosely inspired by actual events, places or people; but they are enjoyable to watch until the release of Game of Thrones season 4 on April 6. Black Sails, like GoT, is NOT PG-13.

One show that IS, would be Walking Dead, which my roommates and several of my coworkers as well watch. I have found that series to be very predictable with poor plot as well as disappointing character development. I find myself most often rooting for the undead when I do end up watching the show...

Another show I have been following is the BBC series, The Musketeers. By this time, Dumas' great story has been told so many times it is bordering on rediculous, but I have found this series to be rather refreshing. Like both Vikings and Black Sails, they seem to have a more grounded approach (non-Hollywood) of the characters and story. No overdone firey e xp losions, overly attractive main cast, or slow motion stylized fight scenes: its quite refreshing!

Anyways! These are just a few of the series that I am currently keeping up with and thought I would share. If there is anyone out there watching these, voice your thoughts! Or if you watch/watched something else, let us know.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Re: What is everyone watching these days?

I have heard of the series you have mentioned and have been meaning to add them to the "watch list".

I don't watch walking dead, Zombies for me, are Resident Evil version :) .

I do watch a lot of TV. I have my long time usuals, CSI, Law and Order SVU, Criminal Minds. I am a fan of survivor.

I have been watching and finally caught up with Arrow, which is AWESOME!.

I am anxiously awaiting GoT.

I've been watching BBC's Merlin and, although family friendly and campy, its still enjoyable. I have to watch the last season.

I also watch lots of food network, I am a "regular" viewer of Chopped and Iron Chef, etc.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Walking Dead is one of the worst popular television shows of all time. It's amazingly bad, and increasingly so at that. It's almost impressive to me just how much worse it gets with each season. Sloppy senseless writing, contrived characters, unbelievable motives and decisions, downright terrible acting from a few of the leads, ridiculously bad pacing, cheap and lazy production value, etc...

Vikings is an interesting show, and I've been keeping up with it, but some things about it bug me. It has these spurts of greatness, but then eye-rolling modernisms at times. Half of it feels very sophomoric, despite a great production value. In fact, that's the main reason I started watching it: The landscapes.

The best compliment I can give to Vikings other than that is, unlike TWD, it uses its time extraordinarily well (for the most part), covering a lot in just one episode, and telling several chapters in just one season. Keeps us guessing knowing the broader scope of the series. Whereas TWD just milks every last drop before stubbornly moving on... an inch at a time (until it backs up ten inches to retread the same ground twice as slow as it did the first time).

But as for what I watch this time of year: Justified. Hands down. Although I want to get more into True Detective (I've seen one episode and McConaughey was brilliant).
-_-

I watched some of the walking dead and Sedhal summed up my own thoughts perfectly. I was bored throughout it.

I used to watch Doctor Who but its getting very repetitive. Game of Thrones is my favourite TV show followed by Da Vinci's Demons. Has anyone else seen it? Season 2 is starting soon :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I have been watching and finally caught up with Arrow, which is AWESOME!.

I am anxiously awaiting GoT.

I've been watching BBC's Merlin and, although family friendly and campy, its still enjoyable. I have to watch the last season.

I also watch lots of food network, I am a "regular" viewer of Chopped and Iron Chef, etc.[/quote]

Yes! Another Arrow watcher! :coolsmile I'm happy something from the DC universe is on TV. Castle and Arrow are the 2 shows I watch most consistently. I liked Nathan Fillion back in his Firefly days ( :( ) and have stuck with him. I enjoy the witty writing (and minimal drama) layered over a police procedural format. The CW is kind of a joke as a network, but I hope Arrow does well.

I'm still catching up on GoT. I love Big Bang Theory also, but I'm playing catch up with that too. After Firefly's cancellation, I had this weird resistance to watching shows in their first season lest they be cancelled prematurely. I'm obviously getting over that since I've watched Arrow from the start.

Anybody else here watch BBC's Sherlock? I hate that the seasons are only ~3 episodes long (seriously...what is that about?! ;) We get spoiled in the US with ~22 episodes a season), but I love it. You really can't beat the Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman duo. :thumbs_up

Hmmm...sounds like I might need to give Vikings a try...

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Yes! Another Arrow watcher! I'm happy something from the DC universe is on TV. Castle and Arrow are the 2 shows I watch most consistently. I liked Nathan Fillion back in his Firefly days and have stuck with him. I enjoy the witty writing (and minimal drama) layered over a police procedural format. The CW is kind of a joke as a network, but I hope Arrow does well.

I'm still catching up on GoT. I love Big Bang Theory also, but I'm playing catch up with that too. After Firefly's cancellation, I had this weird resistance to watching shows in their first season lest they be cancelled prematurely. I'm obviously getting over that since I've watched Arrow from the start.

Anybody else here watch BBC's Sherlock? I hate that the seasons are only ~3 episodes long (seriously...what is that about?! We get spoiled in the US with ~22 episodes a season), but I love it. You really can't beat the Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman duo.

Hmmm...sounds like I might need to give Vikings a try...[/quote]

I LOVED Sherlock. I haven't seen the latest episodes, but the first 6 were great. I love Benedict Cumberbatch! I also liked that Smaug/Bilbo was Sherlock/Watson .

I will ask the British people what their problem is only having short seasons, us American's like our 20 episodes :)

I really enjoy Arrow, and I kind of broke my own rule, I got so used to watching older shows on Netflix that I said I wasn't going to watch anything new, because now I hate to wait for new episodes/summer breaks, etc. But I started watching, and I watched the whole first season in a matter of a week or so on Netflix.

Yes, please ask them! ;) Thankfully they treat the episodes more as a film production than a sitcom. But, I bet it works out really well to have short seasons so they (Cumberbatch & Freeman, and probably others) can get back to their blockbuster film careers.

There's definitely an appeal to watching chunks of these shows when playing from behind. If I start a good book, I can't hardly put it down. That same problem rolls over into my TV habits. Amazon Prime has only made it worse, but without it I wouldn't have Sherlock! Haven't tried Netflix before.

Did you hear they have a Flash spin-off from Arrow in the works? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet (not a huge fan of Grant Gustin) but it could be cool to have characters traveling between the shows. The crossover format did not work out so well for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD though. :p uker: (sorry if anyone here's a fan of it...)

RosereIII - I forgot to mention, great idea for a thread! :thumbs_up

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Yes, please ask them! ;) Thankfully they treat the episodes more as a film production than a sitcom. But, I bet it works out really well to have short seasons so they (Cumberbatch & Freeman, and probably others) can get back to their blockbuster film careers.

There's definitely an appeal to watching chunks of these shows when playing from behind. If I start a good book, I can't hardly put it down. That same problem rolls over into my TV habits. Amazon Prime has only made it worse, but without it I wouldn't have Sherlock! Haven't tried Netflix before.

Did you hear they have a Flash spin-off from Arrow in the works? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet (not a huge fan of Grant Gustin) but it could be cool to have characters traveling between the shows. The crossover format did not work out so well for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD though. :p uker: (sorry if anyone here's a fan of it...) [/quote]

I am trying to really like SHIELD... I REALLY love Caulson and the banter between Fitz/Simmons is GREAT... not to mention Simmons is kinda cute and has the British accent (hmmm, maybe I have a thing for British girls). Hopefully they have something planned that will really get it going. I think more people were thinking it was going to have more of a Marvel feel(myself included)

I watch alot of Netflix, I even got an achievement for watching 5 episodes in a row without stopping once... :embarasse

Sorry BC! :( I don't mean to hate on AoS unnecessarily. I do like Coulson. I did try to watch it, and kept hoping it would improve. New acting crews tend to be clunky (ever re-watched the premiere of a show you've followed after a few years?) so I was trying to being understanding, but I never saw what I was hoping for.

I must confess, I had a terrible time of watching Sherlock at first because sometimes they talk SO fast and their accents and idioms were hard to understand. Maybe I need better speakers. I'm having a much better time of it now though! :thumbs_up

Sleepy Hollow
Vikings
Lost Girl
Almost Human (Karl Urban's new TV show)
The Walking Dead
Rizzoli and Isles

Game of Thrones (only on DVD once each season is released). I'll do the same with Black Sails once it starts coming out on disc).

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Castle
Supernatural
Once Upon a Time
Reign
Vampire Diaries
The Originals
Dracula (yes I like vampires!)
Person of Interest
CSI
Downton Abbey
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Sleepy Hollow
Game of Thrones (wish it was less HBO, more pg-13)

I really tried to like Agents of Shield, since it was Joss Whedon, but I just got bored with it and lost interest.
Merlin was a great series, I really liked it a lot.
I've watched a bunch of series on Netflix - Breaking Bad, Dexter, Dollhouse, Legend of the Seeker, Bates Motel, American Horror Story (ew), The Borgias, The Tudors, etc.
Last edited by Arwyniel on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I forgot about Sleepy Hollow... I totally am digging that show.

I have wanted to watch Supernatural... I do want to watch Dracula, but the Friday timeslot is bad for me, I just will catch it on demand.

I am still sticking with AoS, sometimes it takes time for a series to get its footing, but I think a lot of people are losing faith.

I love vampires, is Vampire Diaries cool vampires or Twilighty vampires?

Anyone watch the Hannibal Lector tv series? It looks cool and I love the character, but haven't seen it.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]
I love vampires, is Vampire Diaries cool vampires or Twilighty vampires?

[/quote]

I understand your concern. These vampires don't sparkle and do have fangs, but there is the whole, "both of these brothers who are vampires love me, who do I choose" kinda thing. I still like it though. But I liked Twilight too. Don't judge me, lol.

Supernatural is so good, I was hooked instantly but didn't really love it until about season 3.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I understand your concern. These vampires don't sparkle and do have fangs, but there is the whole, "both of these brothers who are vampires love me, who do I choose" kinda thing. I still like it though. But I liked Twilight too. Don't judge me, lol.

Supernatural is so good, I was hooked instantly but didn't really love it until about season 3.[/quote]

I am guilty of reading and seeing all of the Twilight movies, but I make fun of it all the time. I say I only watched it because Alice and Jasper were really cool vampires :) . I don't mind a little love story, but no more sparkles!!!

BC - Are you still watching Arrow these days??? :crazy: I fell way behind and went on a complete binge today to celebrate finishing a draft for my thesis committee. I watched episodes 16 - 21! Oh my God, this has been crazy ride. I just need to watch this week's episode (#22 - don't spoil it for me yet!) in prep for the season finale on Wednesday. :(

What am I going to do w/o Arrow over the summer??? Or any of my other shows for that matter? I really need a summer show to watch but all of mine are fall series. :|

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well first and foremost, congrats on getting something turned in to your thesis committee! :P :cheers: [/quote]

:laugh: Yeah it's a draft, but it's something! I have to/like to cheer myself along for even the small things. If you know committees...well, you know what happens when there's lots of ideas and brains in the room.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I am still watching Arrow, and yes Arrow got renewed for Season 3. I've been watching Survivor of course and Agents of SHIELD (which got renewed!!!). Still watching my classics of CSI, SVU and Criminal Minds.

Really looking forward to Gotham next season.

of course GoT AND THE RETURN OF 24!!![/quote]

What did you think of the surprise *black speech* death at the end of "Seeing Red"? It was a surprise to me, did you approve or disapprove?
CW would be so dumb not to renew Arrow. Stephen Amell is still a little stiff (he's getting better) but I like the DC universe too much to stay away.

And, I forgot to ask about what people thought about upcoming Gotham??? DC is really coming to TV in a big way recently.

Any good shows to watch this summer, or will I just have to wait a long time for fall again? :|

I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED for what you mentioned in your black speech, not e xp ecting that at all and I dont know if I agree with it or not right now.

I am SUPER pumped for Gotham, heck I was all for it when they first mentioned it and I thought it was just going to be a police procedural like Law and Order, just with Gordon, but now it is going to be serialized, which makes it even better! And the cast of the younger versions of the villains and seeing that character development, oh man, I think it has potential to be GREAT.

Back to Arrow, I think Stephen Amell is kind of stiff, but I think that is Oliver Queen, going from spoiled rich kid to stranded on an island to being a super hero, he's had a rough couple of years and trying to keep everything straight...
I also like Stephen Amell as well, he is very interactive with fans on Facebook and he is appearing at Comic Con in Austin and was going to go and meet him, but I found out that a class I am taking in the fall is a 5 week weekend course, so the last class day is the day of comic con :( maybe another time.

24 will extend part way into the summer, well 10 weeks or so, so beginning of July. Normally summer for me is time to marathon my way through a series on netflix in an unreasonable amount of time :)

I can't believe it, only 2 more Arrow episodes for me to watch this season. Ugh...it is going to be a long summer. :|

I'm not sure how I feel about *black speech* Moira's death either. She brought an interesting vibe to the show, and I did like her. [Literally] poor Oliver - he is going to be poor, homeless, lair-less, parentless...girlfriend-less. Did I miss anything? I haven't watched the penultimate episode yet, I hopefully will this weekend so don't tell me what happens quite yet. ;)

Do we find out who Sarah's friend is yet? (You don't have to tell me who, but I am wondering if it might be some folks from the League of Assassins?) And I can't wait for Arrow (or anyone) to knock Ravager on her arse. Err...she gets on my nerves. At least I can understand Slade's nuttiness.

I am excited for Gotham, I just hate FOX. They nix everything before it finds it's feet. Such a ridiculous contrast to the CW that keeps everything even if it sucks. :P I love Gordon's comic book character, I'm not too familiar with the lead but I hope he carries the role well.

EDIT - *black speech* Oh, and will we see Arrow teaming up with the Dark Archer now???

Yea, you should watch this weeks arrow ASAP :)

Yea, Fox doesnt give anything a chance, its like they think they are CBS or something :) I wish it was on CW, they at least give comic book series a chance. Agents of SHIELD, while not very popular at the beginning, but now is getting great reviews, is on ABC which is owned by Disney, which owns Marvel, so they didn't really have much to worry about :)

Oh yea, and Flash got picked up on CW as well :)

See? I am too excited to talk about Arrow with someone that I forget to ask about the other stuff you mentioned. :crazy: We might be the only 2 on here that follow that show.

Okay, last Arrow episode must be watched stat. It's Friday after all. I have 2 episodes of Castle to catch up on too. It will be a fun weekend. :crazy:

I do really appreciate Stephen for how interactive he is with the fans. Huge plus for me, he doesn't just treat it like it's a paycheck on the line, he treats it like he really feels he is contributing to the DC universe at large (whether that is true or not, I think everything here is noncanon though). It would be great to see him at a Con, I hope you get to someday.

I will check out Flash too, I'm less confident of Grant Gustin's ability to carry a show though. :|

Is AoS any less cheesy now? I stopped watching because I couldn't handle the cheese and acting. If it has improved, I might be willing to give it a second try. I could watch that over the summer... One thing with my super hero shows - if you are going to try to make me believe the impossible is possible and in a world that isn't real, you better have the acting chops to sell it to me. :P

I'd say AoS is definitely worthy of a 2nd chance, I stuck with it, and was willing to give it its due time to get its footing, a lot of series start slow while you try and learn the characters and get a feel for everything, not to mention Coulson is so awesome.

It starts picking up after the mid-season break and REALLY gets going after Captain America: The Winter Soldier tie-in.

AoS went from the week-to-week episodic, baddie of the week (like Joss's early Buffy episodes) to a more serialized, cliff hanger, picking up where the last episode left off format. It does FANTASTIC job picking up where captain america left off.

I am cautiously optimistic about Flash... being that it is in the same "DC television Universe" as Arrow, it might be good. Now if you want my opinion, i think Steven Amell really deserves to be Arrow if they ever add Arrow to the Batman/Superman/Justice League movies.

As far as the Con, that particular one (Austin) is in Early October, but there is another con in San Antonio in August I am hoping he might get added too, which would let me kill 2 birds with the proverbial one stone, because I could meet James Marsters (Spike from Buffy/Angel) as well as the one and only William Shatner AND Mr Samwise Gamgee himself Sean Austin (thats like 4 birds with one stone :) )

Alright BC, you're starting to convince me AoS could be my summer catch-up show... You are absolutely right, if I give it a 2nd try, it will be because of Coulson.

I'm guessing you've seen this picture before too?

I think Stephen Amell would be a lot of fun to meet. I mean, any of those 4 birds would be awesome, but he seems to have a lot of personality. And fun. They always look like they are having so much fun off camera. :)
Last edited by Nerdanel on Fri May 09, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Alright BC, you're starting to convince AoS could be my summer catch-up show... You are absolutely right, if I give it a 2nd try, it will be because of Coulson.

I'm guessing you've seen this picture before too?

I think Stephen Amell would be a lot of fun to meet. I mean, any of those 4 birds would be awesome, but he seems to have a lot of personality. And fun. They always look like they are having so much fun off camera. [/quote]

Well yes, Coulson is sooooo awesome, I hope he gets to be in the movies again.. AND I might have a thing for Gemma Simmons, the smart nerd British girl :) :) :coolsmile

Yes I have seen a version of that pic. I might have to picket and riot if they cast someone else to be Arrow in the Justice League movie.

I am really looking forward also, I keep remembering things, is the Netflix series based on Daredevil and the other Defenders, also set in the MCU :)

Haha, BC! I think you just have a thing for British girls in general. :P I never noticed this before but Elizabeth Henstridge looks like what you'd get if you crossed Keira Knightley with Anne Hathaway. Now I can't unsee that!

I did not know about Daredevil coming to Netflix! Well, I've always used Amazon Prime for my video, but this seems like it might be a good reason to get Netflix. Sounds like it will be 1 of 5 MCU shows coming to Netflix in 2015! :crazy: I like the character, I did not like Ben Affleck's cheesy treatment of him.

And, I had not seen this image yet:

Hmm...I don't know if that's the Scarlet Speedster I had in mind. I keep picturing Sheldon instead! :laugh:

Okay, one more thing about the Flash and then I'm done....maybe. :P

Looking at previous Flash costumes, I came across this image. It's so crazy to see how our perception of an idealized hero has changed with time. What is up with the hypermasculinity? :huh:

I never understood the need for the Flash to be huge and beefy. It just strikes me that he should be more streamlined and aerodynamic. He's a sprinter...if you can consider him that.

This is more of what I had in mind. I don't necessarily agree with the visor, and the shoes look weird, and he's missing the bolts on his arms and belt. But he looks quick, realistic, and modern.

Because you ladies have unrealistic e xp ectations of what the male body should look like :) .

I read/heard somewhere that back in the day, when comic book artists would draw comic book heroes, they would have a model and would basically do a life drawing and paint over the muscles, so you end up with skin tight outfits.

I do agree that it makes more sense that the Flash would have a more lean physique as opposed to a huge ripped body builder look.

And yes Nerdanel, something about those British girls, haha. I love the accent.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Because you ladies have unrealistic e xp ectations of what the male body should look like .[/quote]

That may be true of some ladies, but for the purposes of comic books, I'd say back-of-the-envelope ~99% of those comics are marketed towards men, so who has the unrealistic e xp ectations and buy into it...? ;)

For me, I don't want to hold someone else to a higher standard than I would myself. Certainly not above what is even physically possible...

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I read/heard somewhere that back in the day, when comic book artists would draw comic book heroes, they would have a model and would basically do a life drawing and paint over the muscles, so you end up with skin tight outfits.

I do agree that it makes more sense that the Flash would have a more lean physique as opposed to a huge ripped body builder look.

And yes Nerdanel, something about those British girls, haha. I love the accent.[/quote]

That would be really cool, they should go back to doing that kind of art! Alright, here's some Olympic sprinters, who already represent like, 0.00001% of the world's population.

The most famous sprinter of the day...

And some in red!

Before I take this thread too far off track (no pun intended...) I am off to watch this week's Arrow episode! It's about time!

PS - Now we know why BC's really going to London...

[quote=""Nerdanel""]
Before I take this thread too far off track (no pun intended...) I am off to watch this week's Arrow episode! It's about time!

PS - Now we know why BC's really going to London...[/quote]

Sooooo........ wutcha think of Arrow???

I am going to London to see all the sites, and all the cool historical stuff, and sample the food and drink :) :P

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Sooooo........ wutcha think of Arrow???

[/quote]

Loved it! :crazy: And I was glad to see a few of my hunches play out. Probably a good idea for black speech, just in case no ones wants spoilers...

It was nice to see Malcolm back - I think he's nuts, but John Barrowman is a great actor. And I was glad to see Thea be angry with him and not buy into his crap.

I think the subplot I'm most enjoying right now is how Oliver becomes a member of the Bratva. Obviously through Anatoli, but I like seeing how that's unfolding and how the two of them both get off the island.

I was surprised to see Brother Blood killed off (...is he really dead though???) but he is not as compelling an antagonist. What are your thoughts going into the finale? I don't think Arrow will kill Slade, even if given the chance. They have to keep some baddies around. ;)

Can't wait until Wednesday! Well, actually I can't wait until tomorrow because the Castle season finale is Monday. Then the long wait until Wednesday, and then the long wait until Fall... :(

Rosere - if you happen to see this, did you decide to stick with Black Sails? How was it if you did?

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Rosere - if you happen to see this, did you decide to stick with Black Sails? How was it if you did?[/quote]

Yea, I watched it all the way through, and am looking forward to the next season. It was only 8 episodes, so I hope further seasons get a little more content to them. It wasn't a groundbreaking show or anything, but it was nice to see a 'realistic' pirate/privateering show that wasn't peg legs, hooks, and 'Arrrrrr' every other scene.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

[quote=""Nerdanel""]Loved it! :crazy: And I was glad to see a few of my hunches play out. Probably a good idea for black speech, just in case no ones wants spoilers...

It was nice to see Malcolm back - I think he's nuts, but John Barrowman is a great actor. And I was glad to see Thea be angry with him and not buy into his crap.

I think the subplot I'm most enjoying right now is how Oliver becomes a member of the Bratva. Obviously through Anatoli, but I like seeing how that's unfolding and how the two of them both get off the island.

I was surprised to see Brother Blood killed off (...is he really dead though???) but he is not as compelling an antagonist. What are your thoughts going into the finale? I don't think Arrow will kill Slade, even if given the chance. They have to keep some baddies around. ;)
[/quote]

Spoiler Conversation I liked how Malcolm showed back up and I am quite sure he is still up to no good. I wonder if he is, in Buffy terms "THE BIG BAD" I'd be surprised if they actually killed off Slade this week, I am willing to bet we are going to have a cliffhanger ending and make us wait a few months to see what happens.

[quote=""RosereIII""]Yea, I watched it all the way through, and am looking forward to the next season. It was only 8 episodes, so I hope further seasons get a little more content to them. It wasn't a groundbreaking show or anything, but it was nice to see a 'realistic' pirate/privateering show that wasn't peg legs, hooks, and 'Arrrrrr' every other scene.[/quote]

Thanks Rosere! Is 8 episodes a full season for Starz? But it looked like a big production so maybe that's normal. I was horrified when I learned GoT was only 10 episodes a season. :O

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Spoiler Conversation I liked how Malcolm showed back up and I am quite sure he is still up to no good. I wonder if he is, in Buffy terms "THE BIG BAD" I'd be surprised if they actually killed off Slade this week, I am willing to bet we are going to have a cliffhanger ending and make us wait a few months to see what happens.[/quote]

More spoileriness... Yep, you are probably right, and Malcolm is probably still hoping for a protégé. He's definitely not dead, he learned his lesson after taking a few to the chest last season. ;)

I was hoping we'd have some resolution at the end of this season but it is more likely that is will be cliffhangery. Which is okay, because I actually don't like when shows act like they need to e xp lain the down time during the summer (aka Oliver going back to the island during the last season break). It's fine with me if they run one season into the other with no lost time.

Given the chance, I think Oliver will use the "cure" on Slade this time around. I doubt the permanent nature of the "cure" though.

I hope Oliver can take over Queen Consolidated again at some point. Otherwise, he is going to have a very tough time e xp laining how he is funding his late night activities. I don't know if Walter will have a role in it, but I hope Moira's death hasn't accidently written him off the show. I really liked him. :(

I definitely think GoT needs more than 10 episodes a season, there is soooo much going on and sooooo many characters!

Back to Arrow I am wondering if Thea saved Malcolm, as in shot someone behind him... hmmmm. She always has the habit of getting herself into trouble. I am sure Oliver will somehow gain control of QC again, I mean, the new CEO is a jacked up evil b*tch, and his mother is dead, but I am sure it won't be one of those "Oh here you go Mr Queen, here's your office back. :)

I am also curious as to what is going to happen to happen with Roy, is he going to lose his strength and then feel useless again and be all depressed boy on the streets again. It would be interesting if the cure let him keep his strength but took away his crazy.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I definitely think GoT needs more than 10 episodes a season, there is soooo much going on and sooooo many characters!

Back to Arrow I am wondering if Thea saved Malcolm, as in shot someone behind him... hmmmm. She always has the habit of getting herself into trouble. I am sure Oliver will somehow gain control of QC again, I mean, the new CEO is a jacked up evil b*tch, and his mother is dead, but I am sure it won't be one of those "Oh here you go Mr Queen, here's your office back. :)

I am also curious as to what is going to happen to happen with Roy, is he going to lose his strength and then feel useless again and be all depressed boy on the streets again. It would be interesting if the cure let him keep his strength but took away his crazy.
[/quote]

GoT really needs more episodes. I have this feeling that each season is going to cover less of each book or they are going to slow it down. Book 6 will be like 3 seasons and book 7 will be 4 seasons... :P

More Arrow stuff... that's an interesting idea about Thea, I hadn't thought of that! But if she's never shot someone before, she did that without hesitation! Not an easy thing to do...

With Roy, they've made it pretty clear that he will be the Red Arrow so that could very well be their solution with the "cure". My only real complaint about this season was that SO many people found out who Oliver is. I think the list is up to about 20 people now. So, I'm happy some of them are dead/dying so we can take some names off that list. Your secret identity should secret! :P

My favorite quote this season was from Quentin - I love him too, he is great for the show: "It's The Arrow that matters. The man under the hood isn't important. Can you imagine what it's like to be him? What he has to live with day in and day out? What that's gotta be like?" He finally gets it, I hope that's a direction the show sticks with in general. :thumbs_up

I read somewhere that GoT will cap at eight seasons. It was a legit article, quoting people associated with the show, HBO, and George R.R. Martin. However, things can and often change.

As it stands, this season started with so much promise and now it has practically slowed to a crawl, with a whole lot of nothing happening in each episode. Last night's second half was great, for spoilery reasons I won't discuss, but the stupid thing is that the episode was not even a full hour long like previous ones. An irritating, extended final season trailer for True Blood ate up the first four minutes past the airtime of 8 PM, and then the episode ended abruptly at 8:52. When you add credits to that, you're now getting 45 minutes of the actual show, as opposed to the 58 you used to get. So much for no commercials which, aside from content, was the one main advantage of cable versus network.

Way to go, HBO. :angry:

Also, a sarcastic "yay" for NBC, who managed to cancel one of the few shows that was holding my interest: Revolution

I know the show has many detractors, so spare me pointing out the flaws. No show is perfect, I get it. What I do deplore is this practice of cancelling shows in their second season as they are finally finding their legs and the plot and characters are interesting and developed enough that cancellation late in the game comes as nothing more than a middle finger to viewers who invested their time in watching this far. All this does is leave people hanging and shows which are serial, not episodic, end abruptly with no satisfying conclusion. For anyone who watches Community, it is gone also.

I've almost given up on Network tv, to be honest, as they make horrible, uncaring decisions, and have no love for anything even remotely sci-fi related. Here's a list of shows I watched and was beginning to appreciate, that ended abruptly with zero or little closure: Alcatraz, V, Terra Nova, Revolution, Caprica. Good thing I didn't get into Almost Human, because that got axed too.

Basically, unless you are a family-based sitcom, or a doctor or cop show, you don't stand a chance. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Thanks for the heads up on 8 GoT seasons, Val. I'm not one of the lucky ones with HBO, so I wait for each season to be released on blu ray. The wait sucks, but I've been able to score each season for a good deal thus far. :thumbs_up

Regarding network TV, yeah cancellations suck. :( I'm one of those dumb (but hopefully not annoying) Firefly fans, which was cancelled midseason in 2002. I love Joss Whedon and the cast, I really wanted to see the show succeed. I was so sad when it got the axe, the Fox execs were idiots. How on earth do you e xp ect a new show to succeed when you air episodes out of order? At least the fan base got the boon of a big screen release in 2005, but that wasn't really the way to wrap up the series. Oh well. I realized TV has little to no love for sci, or westerns, or any combination thereof. So, I stopped watching shows in their freshman seasons, with the exception of last year's Arrow, which I started watching halfway through. Couldn't resist DC being on TV. ;)

In any case, I am sorry about Revolution, Val (and Arwyniel), I hadn't heard about it's cancellation. :( I only know they like to cancel by the 2nd season because by the time they get to a 3rd season, the pull of syndication and a 4th season is a big commitment.

Wasn't Almost Human axed so 24 could come back?

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Aww, they canceled Revolution???! I hadn't heard that yet. Boo. I did hear that NBC canceled Dracula too, a show I was really enjoying. :( [/quote]

FOX also cancelled Karl Urban's show, Almost Human. Too bad. It was well written, interesting, and had high production values. :(

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Arrow and now Agents of SHIELD and next season Gotham, are the only shows in a LONG time I have watched from the beginning. Well, I caught arrow on netflix after season 1, but I am watching season 2 as it airs. (Network TV that is)

Threats of cancellations and being able to binge watch on Netflix and my already full lineup of shows I watch already, really makes me leery of getting attached to anything new.

Dracula, a prime example, for me it was an awful time slot, so I was going to play catch up, but see, it got cancelled.
Last edited by BladeCollector on Mon May 12, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For those who were fans of Arrow... check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g

[quote=""BladeCollector""]OH MY!!! I just watched the season finale of Arrow... AHHH!!!! :crazy: I can't wait till the fall!!![/quote]

AHHHH!!!! x 2! :crazy: I watched it last night, I was waiting to hear what you thought!

[quote=""RosereIII""]For those who were fans of Arrow... check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g[/quote]

"who were fans of Arrow"? :( I still am! ;) Do you follow Arrow as well? And, thanks very much for this link Rosere, I hadn't seen this trailer yet. Definitely looks like this could be worth getting excited for. I'm wondering how many episodes were used to put this trailer together, did Flash get a 1/2 or full season order? I'll have to check.

I'm really pleased with how his speed was portrayed. I think it was Greg Berlanti who said they were going to try a new way to visualize him, I think it came out really well.

Oh my goodness, BC, I did not take you for a shipper! :D

I thought that was a brilliant twist. And those two may surprise us yet, they are popular with the fans.

Which ending were you not e xp ecting? I'm black speeching this... The flashback ending in Hong Kong? Quentin keeling over? Thea and Sara leaving? (I'm pretty sure one of them will not be back at the start of next season...) More allusions to the Canary? Or the Big Bad prison in Purgatory?

And how sweet was that past/present fight scene with Oliver and Slade? I thought it a excellent way to show what happened simultaneously without spoiling either one. Nice touch. :thumbs_up

And Arwyniel - did you happen to watch the Castle season finale yet? What the heck???? :angry:

I am usually not :) I think I was more shocked as to how and why it was all planned out. As far as the ending it was ... the one with Oliver in Hong Kong... when Felicity said something about "How did you learn to fly a plane?" I was like, hey wait as second, what the heck?!? he was off the island and... HOW DID HE END UP BACK ON IT!?!?

I wasn't COMPLETELY shocked with Thea, I am curious as to how her storyline plays out with Malcolm, does she become a big bad girl arrow?? I think Quentin will be fine, just needed some extra drama for Laural during the off season :)

Return to “Media”