Alien 5

It's official:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/new-a ... 201436551/

There are a lot of prerequisites for me to get very interested in this. First of all, Alien 3 and Resurrection have to be retconned out the airlock. Nightmares in hypersleep would be an obvious e xp lanation, or maybe just nightmares in general. I always envisioned an Alien 5 where bits of 3 and 4 would play under the open credits, and then Ripley wakes up with a shout. Hicks sits up and says, "the nightmares again," and Ripley says, "yes, they were awful." (is that too obvious a poke at the two movies?). Newt (Who I guess by this point would be too old to plausibly be still living at home) then pokes her head in the door and says "Mom, Dad, everything ok?" Jests aside, this latter approach would allow for the much older appearance of Ripley and Hicks, and allow us to know that Ripley has enjoyed a good long stretch of time where she's not going from one alien misadventure to another.

And this brings us to prerequisite #2: Sigourney Weaver. During the recent press junket for Chappie, she e xp ressed interest in doing an Alien movie with Blomkamp. Now that Fox has seen his artwork and said go for it, hopefully she will be on board.

Oh yeah, did I post a link to the recent set of conceptual art pieces that Blomkamp had commissioned? http://www.slashfilm.com/neill-blomkamp-alien/
Last edited by Olorin on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Alien 5

Looks like Alien 3 and Resurrection may survive the storyline after all.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/35974/ ... -after-all

I know Alien 3 has many detractors, and the constant rewrites and war between Fincher and Fox served up a bit of a mess. Still, I think the movie has some excellent, very memorable moments, and I like quite a bit of it, in particular the Doctor. The main flaw for me, of course, is the death of Hicks and Newt, but I wonder if that movie would have been possible at all with them alive. I guess if they had survived, we would have gotten a completely different movie, and that's what people complain the most about. I just happen to like some of what they came up with.
This Space for Rent

Well, crap.

Alien 3 does have some things going for it. Charles Dance and Charles Dutton turn in very strong supporting performances, and the direction and cinematography are, for the most part, top-notch. On the minus side, the movies has many flaws, no doubt in large part due to six years in development hell. There are many continuity gaffes between it and Aliens, and there is no reasonable e xp lanation for how an egg got on board the Sulaco. Killing off Hicks and Newt at the beginning is a major downer. But to me, the deal-killer is killing Ripley. She is the beating heart of the Alien movies and IMHO the greatest female movie hero of all time. It was awful to kill her, and even if Alien 3 had been the last movie, killing her was a dreadful way to end the franchise. But that's not enough. She had to die for the worst reason, uh, conceivable, pardon the pun.

And Alien Resurrection is pretty much a crapfest from one end to the other.

I still read some ambiguity in Blomkamp's new quote. He says he's not trying to undo Alien 3 and 4, he just wants to tie into Aliens. That could just be a diplomatic olive branch being extended to the fans of 3 and 4. Really though, at this stage of the game, it's too early for anyone to get their knickers in a twist. There are a lot of storyboards, and ideas are being tossed right and left. But there's no script yet, and the devil is in the details. The fate of 3 and 4 could hinge on a single line of dialog or scene.

So, giving this thread a bump. Recent developments on this movie are that after the studio told Blomkamp he could make Alien 5, he agreed to hold off till after Ridley Scott finishes his prequels. Recently, Sigourney Weaver said she's seen the script for Alien 5 and gushed enthusiasm over it. She said it had everything in it an Alien fan could want. Of course, stars always try to put the best spin on projects they're attached to. In any event, I'd still put this at no better than a 50% chance it ever gets made.

Return to “Media”