Star Wars Video Games: 2017 and onward

Hot off the heels of EA's Battlefront, the second Battlefront game will be released next year. EA confirmed this during their E3 presentation. Battlefront for me was a game that was fun initially, but very quickly became shallow and boring. There was no campaign and very little content when comparing it to the previous Battlefront games. Of course, there are four DLC packs that open up more content, but I'm not investing in them. I would have, had they made it a game that was supported only by DLC. But we're getting a second instalment next year, most likely to be released around the time episode 8 hits theatres.

The EA presentation didn't give much away about what was coming in their Star Wars portfolio, however, Jade Reymond confirmed that there were a number of games in developments and that they had plenty more ideas for where they could take it. They showed off this video, which provides some interesting teases, but I would have preferred something more substantial to be shown at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIEW7woFFo

My skepticism of these games is that they all seem focused in the one time period of Star Wars. Respawn is apparently working on a game that is set in a time period we haven't yet seen, so there's some potential there, but the next game to be released after Battlefront 2 seems to be set in the empire era, and on what looks like Tatooine no less.

I wish they'd go back, and look at doing something new. There's so much potential in the Star Wars universe. The origins and the Jedi and Sith were stories that had been teased in the old canon and then we finally saw a glimpse of that in The Dawn of the Jedi comic series, which I really enjoyed. I would like to see that story, and I would like to play a game set in that time period or better yet see a movie set in that time period. I'm still holding out hope that they'll re-release the KOTOR games. I'd be happy if they re-worked them, and made them fit the new canon whilst improving the graphics and combat system and then gave us a KOTOR 3 and retconned The Old Republic.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Return to “Media”