4K Ultra HD

Starting this thread as I couldn't see another thread on the topic. Basically it's a thread so we can discuss 4K UHD blu-Ray discs.

If I have missed a similar thread, can one of the mods please merge this post into that thread. Thank in advance :)

I've been looking at the ultra HD discs. Now whilst I can't currently afford to upgrade my tv and blu-Ray players - because a 4K setup us still pricey at this point - I am considering paying a little extra and buying 4K Uhd discs for new releases. However, I'm a little confused on it all. From what I understand, of the few UHD releases there are so far only a small number of them are actually truly presented in the 4K format. There are sites claiming some of the movies shot using digital cameras are 2k that are up scaled and that certain movies shot on film haven't been scanned in at a high enough resolution to be considered 4K.

The two upcoming releases I'm looking at are Warcraft and Suicide Squad. Do I pay a little more for the UHD discs now so that I have them ready for when I upgrade to a 4K setup in about 5-10 years, or are they not worth it? Are we going to see another release claiming to be true 4K in a couple of years?

Have any of the members here started purchasing UHD discs?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Re: 4K Ultra HD

I would only buy them now if they came in combo packs with the regular Blu-ray, because by the time you upgrade your system to where you could watch them, the home entertainment industry is probably going to have moved along to the next great format. It's inevitable.

Also, as you point out, some of them are really only 2K upscaled to 4K. And lastly unless you have a really big TV and or you're sitting really close to it I doubt you could tell the difference between regular Blu-ray and 4K. I know I couldn't, and that's why I have no inclination to do this unless I win the lottery and can finish my basement with a dedicated home theater.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I don't see myself moving into the 4k realm any time soon. BD looks perfectly fine to me... and I still even own some regular DVDs :O I used to be all about the latest and greatest, but by the time I get a 4k TV... whats next, 8ks and 16ks??
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BladeCollector wrote:I don't see myself moving into the 4k realm any time soon. BD looks perfectly fine to me... and I still even own some regular DVDs :O I used to be all about the latest and greatest, but by the time I get a 4k TV... whats next, 8ks and 16ks??
Heck, most of what I own is still DVD . I even have a half dozen or so VHS movies. :O :O :O
I still have the VHS versions because the transfers to DVD were either horrible or some scenes were cut (or both).

A lot of my DVDs are older movies, especially some lesser known classics or foreign films that have yet to be transferred / re-issued / re-mastered on BD.

Re 4K +...yep, it's the ever receding technological horizon.
You will never get there, while there will be a constant drain on your bank account. :-p

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Looks pretty big ...how many inches , or I guess I should say how many centimetres?
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deimos wrote:
Dark Shadow wrote:3 months ago I bought myself a 4K Ultra HD Curved TV from Samsung and this is such a pleasure to watch every day.

Looks pretty big ...how many inches , or I guess I should say how many centimetres?
121cm in diagonal. :thumbs_up
How many inches is that Deimos ?

Dark Shadow wrote: 121cm in diagonal. :thumbs_up How many inches is that Deimos ?
2.54 cm per inch, so 121 / 2.54 = 47.64 inches i.e., a 48 inch screen

Your pic looks like it is from an ad...which is what I thought you bought.
That ones looks about 55 or 60 inches.

I just think it's laughably ironic that it took decades to move away from curved screens to flat ones, and now they're trying to reinvent the wheel and get us to go back. Anything to keep people spending money.

(Before someone tries to cleverly point it out - yes, I know the new screens are concave as opposed to convex - my point remains.) :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote:I have about 600 titles, which at this point are about 2/3 BD and 1/3 DVD.
I have....ummmm..... one BD

Arwyniel wrote:We have a 65" Samsung 4k UHD and love it. Keeping the media as DVDs or BD right now.
Curved? Not curved?

Dark Shadow wrote:
Arwyniel wrote:We have a 65" Samsung 4k UHD and love it. Keeping the media as DVDs or BD right now.
Do you have a photo of that standing in your living room.
No, it's not really something I've ever thought of photographing.

Well, decision made I'll not upgrade just yet. I checked and Warcraft was only shot in 2K so it's not worth purchasing it just yet. One of the main differences that I was interested in was colour and the high dynamic range technology. Resolution is unimportant for me because my TV is only 32 inches.

BC, there's already interest in 8K technology. I believe there are Chinese broadcasters wanting to adopt the technology. I doubt it'll be long before we see 8K home cinema setups :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote:BC, there's already interest in 8K technology. I believe there are Chinese broadcasters wanting to adopt the technology. I doubt it'll be long before we see 8K home cinema setups :P
Right after home 4K either flops or succeeds, they'll start trying to push 8K.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Return to “Media”