Re: Blade Runner 2049

And I have now seen the movie. I won’t really say anything about it laest somebody consider even vague suggestions spoiler-ish, other than to say it was so enormous it’s gonna take me a few days to wrap my brain around it.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm And I have now seen the movie. I won’t really say anything about it laest somebody consider even vague suggestions spoiler-ish, other than to say it was so enormous it’s gonna take me a few days to wrap my brain around it.
I saw it last night. It's a very overwhelming experience. I was lucky to see it on an imax screen and it was incredibly beautiful. Everything about the movie felt lovingly crafted from the props, the sound effects, costumes, down to the script and the music. I agree Olorin it's going to take a while to wrap my head around it, its a very hauntingly beautiful film.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Haven't gone yet because I dislike crowded theatres and rude moviegoers. However, as it looks like this won't be a problem (sadly), I am definitely going this week.

I guess people prefer more Transformers and Fast & Furious endless craptacular sequels to a good movie that actually requires some level of brain activity to be present. Lovely. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 am I just read with great dismay and disappointment that it is tanking at the box office. So anybody that wants to see it while it’s still on a decent sized screen, they better go soon!
I wonder what is going on with the viewers?
imdb rates it at 8.6. :huh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 am Everything I've read says the two missing demographics are women and younger viewers (20-30).

Also, see my comment above yours.
It having a more mature rating will definitely impact its box office success. Shame. It's my favourite movie I've seen this year. I've seen it twice now just a few days apart because I enjoyed it so much. I love picking up on extra details on following viewings. I bought the soundtrack and it's a very beautiful soundtrack but also very harsh on the ears :P

I have to ask: the main narrative thread of the movie, has any other work of science fiction ventured there before? It seems pretty unique to me but then I haven't read/seen a lot of science fiction material.

Finally saw this on Friday and can't wait to go see it again this week before Thor 3 bumps it out of the main theatre rooms.

I must say I was blown away. Watching BR 2049 was a transcendent experience. The journey was amazing on just about every level, and if I can have one complaint is that I missed Vangelis keenly. It was the only flaw in this otherwise perfect gem.

Part of me laments the fact that the poor box office showing probably means we will not see another entry into this universe, as the end of the movie was certainly open-ended, but the other part of me is reminded of Hollywood's law of diminishing returns and I would hate to see this particular prize horse start to get a beating. The spectre of a potentially bad sequel would be hard to bear and taint the whole thing,

Lastly, I'm glad they left the Blade Runner universe's greatest question of all-time unanswered. My heart stopped when Leto's character made the big revelation, then began to beat again once it became obvious he didn't know and was messing with Deckard's mind and emotions.

Masterful.
This Space for Rent

I think the box office 'failure' could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not sure we need to see anymore of Blade Runner, I don't want it to become about a social war between replicants and humans. It would become very generic. Blade Runner 2049 is a beautiful film and in my opinion is a beautiful end to the story. I love the themes throughout the movie and it's very exciting that we both love a movie like this Val :P

I still plan to see it again before it finishes its run at the cinema. It's definitely a movie that deserves to be watched on the big screen.

Lindir wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:53 am I think the box office 'failure' could be a blessing in disguise. I'm not sure we need to see anymore of Blade Runner, I don't want it to become about a social war between replicants and humans. It would become very generic. Blade Runner 2049 is a beautiful film and in my opinion is a beautiful end to the story. I love the themes throughout the movie and it's very exciting that we both love a movie like this Val :P

I still plan to see it again before it finishes its run at the cinema. It's definitely a movie that deserves to be watched on the big screen.
Well, I guess I'll have to go to the theatre to see this .
( I had planned to RedBox it)
Now just have to find a theatre that gives old persons' matinee discounts.... :laugh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I am very pleased that you finally saw it and that you appreciated it so much. I concur with your thoughts on it just about completely. It was a breathtaking testament to how one should do a sequel to a long dormant property, with respect, integrity, and an obvious mastery and love of the original work. JJ Abrams, take note!

I also missed Vangelis, although I thought the two composers used did a very good job of trying to re-create the feel of the original Vangelis soundtrack without making a slavish copy or rip off of it. I never heard it definitively said why Vangelis was not involved in this. I read suggestions that he wasn’t even asked, because he was difficult to work with on the first one and Ridley Scott had to pester him continuously to get his work turned in in time for the movie. I also read comments from Vangelis himself that he would not have participated anyway, since Ridley Scott was not actually directing it. And in a way, I guess I’m relieved they did not use Vangeliss … I might’ve been too afraid that he would not have been able to create something as magical the second time around.

Speaking of Ridley, who now sees everything as the beginning of a three or four movie run, he said he envisioned multiple sequels to it, playing out the replicant revolution storyline. Obviously, the movie set that up, although I think it brought a good resolution to the Deckard storyline. As has been pointed out, we probably won’t see any of those sequels now and that’s probably a blessing. We were beyond lucky to get one high caliber blade runner sequel; to expect further entries to continue at such a high-level would probably just lead to diminishing returns and disappointment.
Valkrist wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am Finally saw this on Friday and can't wait to go see it again this week before Thor 3 bumps it out of the main theatre rooms.

I must say I was blown away. Watching BR 2049 was a transcendent experience. The journey was amazing on just about every level, and if I can have one complaint is that I missed Vangelis keenly. It was the only flaw in this otherwise perfect gem.

Part of me laments the fact that the poor box office showing probably means we will not see another entry into this universe, as the end of the movie was certainly open-ended, but the other part of me is reminded of Hollywood's law of diminishing returns and I would hate to see this particular prize horse start to get a beating. The spectre of a potentially bad sequel would be hard to bear and taint the whole thing,

Lastly, I'm glad they left the Blade Runner universe's greatest question of all-time unanswered. My heart stopped when Leto's character made the big revelation, then began to beat again once it became obvious he didn't know and was messing with Deckard's mind and emotions.

Masterful.

Saw it again last night, and liked it even more, as if that somehow were even possible. We had to drive about 15 minutes out of Vancouver and into the burbs to go the last theatre (the local IMAX, no less) that was still showing the movie in a room that has the 3D, UltraAVX, and Atmos Surround combo. I thought we were safe waiting until before Thor came out, but lousy flops like Geostorm and Jigsaw managed to bump Blade Runner down to just some of the regular 3D rooms. I told my wife there was no way I would see a movie like BR2049 in anything less than full screen and sound glory.

It was worth it. She loved it as well, much more so than the original, which I totally get.

**SPOILER**

She was immediately suspicious of the mid-movie fakeout that K was Deckard's son. It seemed too obvious and too early for such a huge revelation. She said that as soon as she saw Ana, she knew that was the daughter. I, on the other hand, fully bought it and believed K might be the one.

**END SPOILER**

I also gained a much better appreciation for the soundtrack the second time around. Particular standouts for me were the initial flyover of LA, K in the furnace room as he makes his discovery, and the scene atop the sea wall at the end.
This Space for Rent

I'm glad you got to go see it a second time. As well as I liked it the first time, I liked it even better the second time, though it was not as good a presentation. I saw it the first time at our local IMAX, which has the biggest screen and best sound (by far) in town. Second time I saw it on a somewhat smaller screen, lesser sound system, but the draw here was Dolby Atmos. I could not discern any overhead effects, so my second showing should have been IMAX again. But live and learn!

Interesting about you and your wife's different perceptions of what was going on relative to that character. I'm with you...I didn't figure it out till it was laid out for me near the end, and was actually a little disappointed that what had been presented so early was not in fact the case. I consoled myself though that something so obvious should not proved to be the case, and this was a better movie for it.

Anybody who still hasn't seen this yet, go now, and see it on the biggest screen possible. Now!

SPOILERS******************

I was unsure on the idea of K being the child. I agree with your wife, Val, that it felt too early, and I actually sat there thinking “this is not right, there’s something off”. But by the end of the movie I wanted K to be the child, not because I didn’t like the story or Ana but more because I had become invested in K’s journey and I felt his pain when it was revealed to him that he wasn’t special at all. The prevailing theme of Blade Runner 2049 for me is to accept that you’re not important.

END OF SPOILERS************

It’s such a beautiful movie and has really moved me. It’s been on my mind a lot since I saw it. Hoping to catch it a third time at the cinema soon.
Last edited by Lindir on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

:O

Sorry I had thought it had moved to an open discussion. I hope you haven’t been spoiled Deimos :(

I’ve corrected the post now to clearly indicate the spoilers. Also it turns out the old method of turning the text black no longer works as highlighting it no longer reveals what has been written.

I think the black text method still does work; it’s just very cumbersome if you’re on a mobile phone, because you have to select it, copy it, and paste it into something else in order to see it.
Lindir wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 am :O

Sorry I had thought it had moved to an open discussion. I hope you haven’t been spoiled Deimos :(

I’ve corrected the post now to clearly indicate the spoilers. Also it turns out the old method of turning the text black no longer works as highlighting it no longer reveals what has been written.

Return to “Media”