Terminator 6 (or whatever they end up naming it)

In case anybody hasn't heard, another Terminator is on the way. Linda Hamilton is back, and is joined this time by Mackenzie Davis, whom I very much enjoyed in The Martian and Blade Runner 2049. Oh, and some guy with a German-sounding name is going to be in it also. James Cameron is back to produce, and Deadpool director Tim Miller is directing.

Also in case you haven't heard, this one is going to ignore everything after T2. However I might otherwise feel about them jettisoning the later sequels, it's logical in the Terminator universe, as there have already been at least 3 different timelines: the original timeline of T1 and T2, where the war happened on August 29, 1997; the timeline of T3 and Salvation, where the war happened in 2003; and Genisys, where the war was going to happen in October 2017, but was delayed. So a new movie that continues the timeline of T1-T2 is not necessarily saying that the other movies are now decanonized; we're just not looking at those timelines. Compare and contrast with Halloween, where the new one totally ignores all the sequels (and remakes), and Blomkamp's late lamented Alien 5, which would have ignored Alien 3 et al before the poor performance of Alien Covenant put the franchise back into cryosleep (and the Disney takeover will end it forever).

One thing that's a little odd about this is that studios don't usually like to make movies that involve some major event that supposedly happened in the past, yet really didn't. That's why, thus far, there has never been a filmed War of the Worlds adaptation set in the original time period, as everyone knows that Martians did not invade Earth during the Victorian era (though supposedly BBC is going to do a miniseries of it set in that time period). By the time T3 was made, 1997 had passed in the real world without a nuclear war, so T3 retconned the event to 2003. Studios typically don't want to bet much money on that level of suspension of disbelief. Yet T6 is supposedly set post-Judgment Day. Of course, no real details are known about the movie, other than who's in it and that it is a direct sequel to T2. The whole post-apocalyptic setting is, I believe, purely an assumption based on the grittiness of the one official publicity image released so far.

Anyway, I'm wondering if folks here had heard about this and have any interest in it. I think last time around, the consensus was that Terminator should be put out of its misery. I on the other hand have liked each of the movies to some extent. Terminator in a lot of ways is like the Alien franchise. They are both hampered by the fact that the first two movies are absolute classics and the later sequels automatically pale in comparison. IMHO in the case of Terminator, the later sequels are all enjoyable for what they are, whereas in the case of Alien, Alien 3 had major well-documented production problems and a dismal ending, Alien Resurrection was just an all-around mess, and well, let's not even discuss those AVP movies.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: Terminator 6 (or whatever they end up naming it)

Olorin wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 pm
BladeCollector wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:20 am Last weekend I watched "5 headed shark attack" :)
You are hereby summarily disqualified and prohibited from posting any future reviews.

Kidding! Everybody has to let their hair down from time to time.
haha... I LOVE watching stupid movies like that! The cheesy acting, the cheesy CGI, the terrible plots, I love it!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Return to “Media”