Dame Diana Rigg, RIP

Olorin must be in a coma or somehow out of commission....have been waiting for him to post about the death of Dame Diana Rigg.
(He seems to be the tacitly designated writer of celebrity obituaries for the forum :bowing: )
But for whatever reason he hasn't so I will.
I've not much to say because I'm not very good at writing obits about celebrities.
I don't pay much attention to all the roles they've played in all the movies/shows/series they've appeared in.

But in so far as I'm familiar with Diana Rigg's work at all, for me she will always be John Steed's partner in sleuthing, Mrs. [Emma] Peel.
For those who have seen the 60s series The Avengers you know what I mean ("Mrs Peel, we're needed.").... For those who haven't, check it out.
I believe she was only in two (or 3?) seasons out of 8, but I preferred her to her predecessor, Honor Blackman (I was a young girl at the time, not a hormone crazed adolescent male :rolleye: ), or her successor Linda Thorson ( of whose face "I have no memory").

I've watched the "Best of Lady Olenna Tyrell" snippets (where she is her snarkiest) on youtube, but I have never read the books are watched the GOT series, so I don't really know how accurate her overall portrayal of the House Tyrell matriarch was. But the snippets were entertaining.

She did quite a lot of theatre work, some exceptionally good.
I should like to see her 1992 portrayal of Medea (in the Greek play of the same name) for which she received high accolades.
I'm hoping the production is available for viewing, whatever the medium.

Some people will take me to task for failing to mention her one Bond movie role, and many later roles also.
So feel free to add to this encomium as you see fit.
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Dame Diana Rigg, RIP

I did see it and I was saddened by it. I thought about posting it but I think before the notion ever really took hold, it was supplanted by a fear of restirring the GOT-hate that swirled here in the show's last season.

Whenever she appeared as Lady Olenna, it was always a treat. Nobody could outsnark her, though Tywin Lannister did ultimately get the upper hand in a battle of wits.

I have some very faint memories of seeing a few episodes of The Avengers when I was a wee small child back in the 60s. I do remember being impressed by the female lead, but truth be told, I couldn't say of a certainty which female lead it was. I think it was Rigg, but I don't really know. That was a very long time ago and I was still in my single digits. I also saw On Her Majesty's Secret Service but all I remember about it was that his wife got killed. Until Rigg died, I had no idea it was her.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

You wound me, Olorin.

Despite my vociferous dislike for the final season of GOT and the decisions made, I can 100% separate that from the performances, the actors behind them, and most especially a treasure like Diana Rigg and her amazing work as Lady Olenna.

Like you, I barely recall the Avengers as a kid, and like you, the face of Emma Peel (whichever one was on then) is just a faded blur. Regardless, this is another sad loss of a cherished familiar and talented face, especially so soon on the heels of Chadwick Boseman. :'(
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:29 pm My comment was not aimed at any specific person.
Oh of course it wasn't, you're far too much of a gentleman to do otherwise. :bowing:

That was just me having a moment of self realization at how much of an annoying loudmouth I can be at times on this forum. xP
This Space for Rent

Well, it wasn't just you. ;) There were so many people who got very negative on the final two seasons, and the very final one in particular, that it was very off-putting for me. I'm not saying that the last two seasons were without flaws. It's just that whatever my reservations were, on the whole I enjoyed them. However, there were tons of people who were so upset that they just became nonlinear about it, IMHO. (In fact, I learned just the other day, from watching some videos from YouTube film critic Lindsay Ellis, that many people retroactively decided to hate the final four seasons.) In any event, it rapidly got to the point that I stayed out of our GOT thread. There is so much discord in our society that I don't want to encounter rage and rancor (or a Rancor) in a place I go for respite and enjoyment. Thus, I rapidly absent myself from such threads.

But this is not the place to talk about that (if it even needs to be talked about). This is the place to acknowledge the passing of a legend who gave many people joy with her long and varied career. I think it's very cool that she had such a late-career high point as Lady Olenna. Another Olenna-like character is Violet Crawley, the dowager Countess of Grantham, in Downton Abbey. She's a delight. Long live Maggie Smith!

Olorin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 am ... This is the place to acknowledge the passing of a legend who gave many people joy with her long and varied career. I think it's very cool that she had such a late-career high point as Lady Olenna. Another Olenna-like character is Violet Crawley, the dowager Countess of Grantham, in Downton Abbey. She's a delight. Long live Maggie Smith!
Ahhh, Olorin, you should prepare yourself now....Dame Maggie is 85...Any day now I expect to hear that she too has left us. : (

Olorin wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 am Well, it wasn't just you. ;) There were so many people who got very negative on the final two seasons, and the very final one in particular, that it was very off-putting for me. I'm not saying that the last two seasons were without flaws. It's just that whatever my reservations were, on the whole I enjoyed them. However, there were tons of people who were so upset that they just became nonlinear about it, IMHO. (In fact, I learned just the other day, from watching some videos from YouTube film critic Lindsay Ellis, that many people retroactively decided to hate the final four seasons.) In any event, it rapidly got to the point that I stayed out of our GOT thread. There is so much discord in our society that I don't want to encounter rage and rancor (or a Rancor) in a place I go for respite and enjoyment. Thus, I rapidly absent myself from such threads.

But this is not the place to talk about that (if it even needs to be talked about). This is the place to acknowledge the passing of a legend who gave many people joy with her long and varied career. I think it's very cool that she had such a late-career high point as Lady Olenna. Another Olenna-like character is Violet Crawley, the dowager Countess of Grantham, in Downton Abbey. She's a delight. Long live Maggie Smith!
The internet does share some similarities with the behaviour of a virus, doesn't it? My belated and long overdue apologies. As your fellow admin, and human being in general, I should know better. :embarasse

Back to the topic at hand, however sombre.
This Space for Rent

OMG, I don't expect or require an apology out of anyone for having an opinion on a TV show. People are entitled to their opinions. Now if somebody says, I don't like you (or whomever) because of the color of your skin, the church you go to, the people you sleep with, etc., that would be worthy of an apology. But most people that would be so bold as to express such an opinion to the face of someone of the disliked group would not likely be the type of person to apologize for it. But not for having an opinion on a TV show.

Yes, the internet is like a virus, or at least, the medium through which viruses propagate. The worst are disinformation campaigns, hate, etc. Bandwagon opinions on pop culture are obviously not in that category. They're just annoying. Unless I agree with them. :coolsmile

Yep, Maggie is pretty darned old. But hey, Queen Elizabeth is 94 and apparently still going strong. One can always hope!

Well, I wasn't so much offering an apology for having an opinion, but rather for the way in which I voiced it, which I know is what you were referring to when you said you don't need to come here and face the same kind of rage that we are too easily finding outside on our doorstep nowadays.

So, I offer it anyway, even if you feel it is not required. I get too irritated sometimes over what are admittedly inconsequential things. Honestly, how does a TV show impact my life or what is going on in the world around me? It really doesn't, and to let it affect me in a way that invokes such raw emotions is really a disservice to the seriousness of all the real issues surrounding us, whether it be yesterday, today, or tomorrow. I've never been good at reflecting upon these things before reacting, and that often leads me into situations like this. I can stand by my arguments, but there's no excuse for unloading on differing opinions in a way that boils down to outshouting someone else.

Ok, enough of that. Sorry, Deimos, for the hijack, but it does sometimes take a thread about someone dying to take a step back, look inwards, and figure out what's really important and what really isn't. A life lived meaningfully is; the ending of a cable show is not.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:03 pm .....
Ok, enough of that. Sorry, Deimos, for the hijack, but it does sometimes take a thread about someone dying to take a step back, look inwards, and figure out what's really important and what really isn't. A life lived meaningfully is; the ending of a cable show is not.
Yes, you should be sorry for the tricksy hijack, precious, yes you should.
Deimos is never tricksy. Deimos never hijacks a thread; no, precious, we never does that.
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Dianna Rigg. It feels so sad that she’s gone.

Olorin I too wish to apologise. I got pretty riled by the end of GOT and posed a lot of hatred in the GOT thread. I was surprised that when I watched the final two episodes recently just to check them out I actually really enjoyed them. There’ll still be things that happened that I can never forgive but I hate that I became the negative keyboard warrior that I so terribly loathe instead of just letting it go. It was almost like falling to the dark side and becoming a Sith Lord, but not as dramatic or interesting :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Not to labor the issue, but I never felt that the rage or strong opinions were directed toward me, so no one has to apologize to me. People get heated; i get that. So I simply absented myself. So you really don't need to apologize.

Getting back more toward the topic of the thread, today I watched a YouTube clip compiled from some of Rigg's scenes in GOT. It was to sliced and diced, and intermixed, to be enjoyable enough to post here, but perhaps there are better compilations out there somewhere.

Olorin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 am Not to labor the issue, but I never felt that the rage or strong opinions were directed toward me, so no one has to apologize to me. People get heated; i get that. So I simply absented myself. So you really don't need to apologize.

Getting back more toward the topic of the thread, today I watched a YouTube clip compiled from some of Rigg's scenes in GOT. It was to sliced and diced, and intermixed, to be enjoyable enough to post here, but perhaps there are better compilations out there somewhere.
Did you intend to post a link?....'cause I don't see one... :huh:

Return to “Media”